Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How to Improve GSF Participation and Experience

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
How to Improve GSF Participation and Experience

wishihadaname
04.20.2014 , 07:40 PM | #1
Hello all,

I think i've figured out a relatively simple way that Bioware could improve the overall player participation in GSF as well as the experience for newcomers:

Create a Mentorship Program

-Add 2 weekly quests to the PVP mission terminal.

-1 type of quest can only be accepted by subscribers who have mastered at least 1 ship, this is the mentoring quest and it should pay a very large amount of credits (i'm talking 100k+). In order to complete it the mentor must obtain a number of mentorship tokens, this token can only be earned by playing with someone who is currently on the Greenhorn quest (see quest #2). Having more than one greenhorn in your group grants more than one token.

- The Greenhorn quest is only available to players who have played less than X number of missions and do not have a mastered ship. The quest reward is a large amount of ship requisition (probably equal to the weekly). The Greenhorn completes this quest by running a certain number of matches while in a group with someone who is on the Mentor quest.

What do you guys think?

The idea here is that aces will be incentivized to fly with newbies in 4 man premades of 1 ace to 3 newbies. This both serves to balance out the ques and breakup the experienced pilots every so often. It also hopefully promotes the aces to pass on some guidance to the newbies (if for no other reason than to make flying with them more tolerable). Aces get paid, newbies get experience in a more balanced setting and more reqs to beef up their ships. Everyone wins.
-Dimitri Dolohov, lvl 55 Lethality OP. Toxic personality (Retired until viable again)
-Sgt. Amit Dolohov, lvl 55 Gunny Mando,. Rifle wielding hipster.
I'de rather lose a real fight than win via premade.

-Streven-
04.20.2014 , 07:48 PM | #2
I would love to fly with new pilots and help them out if they wanted it. I'd even fly my clarion to help keep them alive.
Ben-sindu Harbinger

General_Brass
04.20.2014 , 08:03 PM | #3
Don't know how practical this would be, but just about anything to encourage participation wouldn't hurt.

BattleDress
04.21.2014 , 07:56 AM | #4
It would be nice to have quests like that for new pilots. I tried my hand with a new toon in GSF with a stock ship and i can safely say i feel bad for new pilots...
I am not for the Empire. I am not for the Republic. I am for the credits and the fame.

Sidenti
04.21.2014 , 08:30 AM | #5
They're good ideas, but I don't know if they'll be effective at addressing griefers.

You know - those idiots that fly the Youtube T2 Scout build all the time, every time, and clearly focus fire on newbies?

Something's gonna have to be done about that sooner rather than later. -bp

Fractalsponge
04.21.2014 , 08:37 AM | #6
Good idea, but x-server and proper matchmaking is STILL the only way to address the core playerbase issues. Every suggestion thread in this forum should be asking for it. No exceptions.
http://fractalsponge.net
Xi'ao - The Shadowlands

Sidenti
04.21.2014 , 09:31 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Fractalsponge View Post
Good idea, but x-server and proper matchmaking is STILL the only way to address the core playerbase issues. Every suggestion thread in this forum should be asking for it. No exceptions.
Cross-server queuing will never happen. Period. Especially for GSF. Latency times would likely be absurd.

As far as proper matchmaking is concerned, I don't know WHAT can fix that hot mess. Ranked/Unranked queues? Probably won't stop anyone from queuing improperly if they want to unless the "casual" queue blocks Mastered components, and even that's not a completely proper fix. To be honest, I don't think any of us can really offer a good answer without seeing the algo being used, and I doubt Bioware is interested in showing their homework on that particular math problem. -bp

Fractalsponge
04.21.2014 , 09:52 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Sidenti View Post
Cross-server queuing will never happen. Period. Especially for GSF. Latency times would likely be absurd.

As far as proper matchmaking is concerned, I don't know WHAT can fix that hot mess. Ranked/Unranked queues? Probably won't stop anyone from queuing improperly if they want to unless the "casual" queue blocks Mastered components, and even that's not a completely proper fix. To be honest, I don't think any of us can really offer a good answer without seeing the algo being used, and I doubt Bioware is interested in showing their homework on that particular math problem. -bp
I understand xserver is beyond the realm of likely for the next few large patch cycles, but I haven't seen anything saying it's not possible, just that it does not currently warrant the resources to implement it. Not asking for it doesn't get us any closer though.

Barring that, increase rewards that tie into the ground game (minimal PVE comms), or increase the vanity items/credits payout, or introduce reputation rewards to grind. I think end of Season 1 demonstrated that a whole crapton of people, even not suited to a given queue, WILL queue if you dangle enough shinies in front of them.
http://fractalsponge.net
Xi'ao - The Shadowlands

Sidenti
04.21.2014 , 10:57 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Fractalsponge View Post
I understand xserver is beyond the realm of likely for the next few large patch cycles, but I haven't seen anything saying it's not possible, just that it does not currently warrant the resources to implement it. Not asking for it doesn't get us any closer though.

Barring that, increase rewards that tie into the ground game (minimal PVE comms), or increase the vanity items/credits payout, or introduce reputation rewards to grind. I think end of Season 1 demonstrated that a whole crapton of people, even not suited to a given queue, WILL queue if you dangle enough shinies in front of them.
The logistics of the internet work against us for cross-server queuing. Simply put, there WILL be lag for quite some time, and it's not completely dependent on Bioware writing code that is lag-friendly. Queuing from Cali for an East Coast match is BARELY playable. Imagine how Euros would feel!

Bioware can only write code so tight before the realities of current internet infrastructure catch up to them. By the time the players within the reach and scope of this game (read: the globe) can all have reasonably fast access (read: fiber optic), there's little Bioware can do.

I don't mind asking 'em. But I'm not going to hold my breath on it either given what the digital pipeline is today. Sucks, but it is what it is.

I STRONGLY agree with more rewards along the line of Season 1 ground PvP! Hell, I'd even be fine with a Ranked queue! I think the greatest barrier to entry for new pilots is the fact that us subs have had 5 months to get good at this. Newbie McGee who just subbed today ain't gonna want to put up with all that noise when they've got the rest of the game to play.

Unless, of course... we dangle those shinies. Great idea! -bp

General_Brass
04.21.2014 , 11:26 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Sidenti View Post
The logistics of the internet work against us for cross-server queuing. Simply put, there WILL be lag for quite some time, and it's not completely dependent on Bioware writing code that is lag-friendly. Queuing from Cali for an East Coast match is BARELY playable. Imagine how Euros would feel!
You are correct about the additional lag. But, I have played on west coast servers from the east coast and while there is a noticeable disadvantage it's hardly crippling. Then there's the fact that cross server doesn't have to be game wide. You can have cross server within a particular regions servers, west coast/east coast/european queues.