Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

There Needs to be SERIOUSLY Better Policing of the RP Servers

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
There Needs to be SERIOUSLY Better Policing of the RP Servers

BadOrb
04.20.2014 , 01:04 PM | #81
Quote: Originally Posted by OddballEasyEight View Post
No, there is a notice that goes something like "there are no special rules for these servers".
The regular rules of conduct are still valid.

And to those who think the rules are not enforced, I have reported numerous names and I have confirmed that some of them have been changed (in fact, all of the ones I have checked on have been changed). It just takes a while before the CS gets to your ticket. (I'm sure name rule violations are not at the top of their list)
Ah maybe that was it , thanks for clearing that up. Yeah RP server sounded the more friendly of the 4 server types to me right before launch. I'm sure they do get users to change names. I honestly think the name ruling is more relaxed since , well they lost a lot of subbs though. Do you know if they have forced name changing in recent months ?

I have had my 16 character names since before the second server merges and if Bioware ever ask me to change any , I will not , mind you I can understand some people thinking my one characters name "Carwash" to be unusual but she was indeed a cat in willow the whisp a male cat but still.She will never ever change her name.

Cheers,

BadOrb.
'Ah you think micro transactions are your ally ? The DLC betrays you because it belongs to me , when your home world is monetized , you have my permission to buy'.
"Oh goody. Lord Douchebag McFuzzlebunny can now be related to me if he see's my legacy name and decides he likes it." quote from Selvec 09/06/12

XiamaraSimi
04.20.2014 , 01:53 PM | #82
Quote: Originally Posted by Wylf View Post
As oddball mentioned in his edit, the policy is enforced via a report-based system. Report the name and it should be taken care of. If you see people with such names they probably haven't been reported.
If they even get to it, I reported a duo of mirialans that run around in slave gear named "Fookme" and " "Fookyu" several times already.

I couldnt remeber here out of game if they were spelled with uu or oo but you get what the names were supposed to be, the characters were designed with very asian features. So not only obscene, but racist as well.
The Xiamara Legacy - Jung Ma
Simi, Anyamara, Anyankha, Apollimi, Xiamara, R'yoohki, S'imi, Asuka, Shi'ara
Xialia, Xiara, Tay'anna, Taelanya
Bioware, please make a nexu mini pet, I really want a baby mutant Cheshire Cat!

BadOrb
04.20.2014 , 02:27 PM | #83
Quote: Originally Posted by XiamaraSimi View Post
If they even get to it, I reported a duo of mirialans that run around in slave gear named "Fookme" and " "Fookyu" several times already.

I couldnt remeber here out of game if they were spelled with uu or oo but you get what the names were supposed to be, the characters were designed with very asian features. So not only obscene, but racist as well.
Obviously not a fan of the Austin Powers trilogy then are you. It isn't racist at all. Go watch GoldMember I think they where in.

Cheers,

BadOrb.
'Ah you think micro transactions are your ally ? The DLC betrays you because it belongs to me , when your home world is monetized , you have my permission to buy'.
"Oh goody. Lord Douchebag McFuzzlebunny can now be related to me if he see's my legacy name and decides he likes it." quote from Selvec 09/06/12

Kalfear
04.20.2014 , 02:28 PM | #84
Trust me, those guys will find their way onto RP Servers even if RP rules are existing. The only way to keep that from happening would be manual unlocking, like some Neverwinter Nights shards to, where you need to file an application, with character backstory and all, before they allow you to play on their server.

There seem to be quite a lot of people who actively target RP Servers, while harboring an intense hatred or disgust for roleplayers. I don't think I'll ever understand that mindset.
DAoC did a excellent job at enforcing names and removing the RP Trolls that they all but eliminated both negatives.

It can be done
It has been done

EA just lacks the desire to do it

Model on how to successfully achieve a healthy and proper RP server existence is already in place for them to follow.
Housing brought me back
now add Paazaak, KotOR#1 swoop bike racing, and more flashpoints and planets

Elfa
04.20.2014 , 04:34 PM | #85
Bioware no longer actively searches for naming issues. I've turned in so many people with gibberish names on Makeb who are using stealth characters to gold farm. They don't take action unless reported.
I'd like to sit down with the guy responsible for having Busta Rhymes fight Michael Myers in HALLOWEEN RESURRECTION. Then, before he could speak, I would slap him so hard his face would explode and his dog would die." - Jim Law

Wylf
04.20.2014 , 04:42 PM | #86
Quote: Originally Posted by Elfa View Post
Bioware no longer actively searches for naming issues
No longer? :X I'm pretty sure they never did. It's unreasonable to expect that, the workload that would cause is unimaginably high. Especially if you consider that the Gamemasters that search for names that might violate the rules of conduct can't work on regular tickets while doing that, so you have to hire new people for that job and pay them. It simply wouldn't be a feasible business model, especially not since the game went f2p.

I'm pretty sure there isn't a single large scale MMO out there that ever did actively search for ToS violations. It's simply impossible to do once you reach a certain amount of players. Might work on small scale projects with a few thousand players, but everything larger than that makes it impossible to actively police the game, simple because it would cost way too much money.

Hell, most MMOs don't even punish ToS violations passively, if they aren't severe.
'Twas right, said they, such birds to slay
that bring the fog and mist

The Mitharr Legacy - Way too many characters to name here.
EU - The Progenitor

Duskrequim
04.20.2014 , 06:15 PM | #87
Nothing can be done about horrible names. I just dont understand why people would name a character something stupid anyway? How much satisfaction do you actually get from hitting that epic achievment and remembering that your name is Fluffy ToadScum.

Khevar
04.20.2014 , 06:43 PM | #88
Quote: Originally Posted by Duskrequim View Post
Nothing can be done about horrible names. I just dont understand why people would name a character something stupid anyway? How much satisfaction do you actually get from hitting that epic achievment and remembering that your name is Fluffy ToadScum.
There are some people that do it because they find it funny. Others do it simply to create an effect.

One of the players in my first guild, quite a long time ago, would purposefully create offensively-named alts just to see how long he could go before getting in trouble. :/

Kalfear
04.20.2014 , 09:05 PM | #89
No longer? :X I'm pretty sure they never did. It's unreasonable to expect that, the workload that would cause is unimaginably high. Especially if you consider that the Gamemasters that search for names that might violate the rules of conduct can't work on regular tickets while doing that, so you have to hire new people for that job and pay them. It simply wouldn't be a feasible business model, especially not since the game went f2p.

I'm pretty sure there isn't a single large scale MMO out there that ever did actively search for ToS violations. It's simply impossible to do once you reach a certain amount of players. Might work on small scale projects with a few thousand players, but everything larger than that makes it impossible to actively police the game, simple because it would cost way too much money.

Hell, most MMOs don't even punish ToS violations passively, if they aren't severe.
DAoC did a excellent job at enforcing names and removing the RP Trolls that they all but eliminated both negatives.

It can be done
It has been done

EA just lacks the desire to do it

Model on how to successfully achieve a healthy and proper RP server existence is already in place for them to follow.
Housing brought me back
now add Paazaak, KotOR#1 swoop bike racing, and more flashpoints and planets

OddballEasyEight
04.20.2014 , 11:43 PM | #90
Quote: Originally Posted by BadOrb View Post
Ah maybe that was it , thanks for clearing that up. Yeah RP server sounded the more friendly of the 4 server types to me right before launch. I'm sure they do get users to change names. I honestly think the name ruling is more relaxed since , well they lost a lot of subbs though. Do you know if they have forced name changing in recent months ?

I have had my 16 character names since before the second server merges and if Bioware ever ask me to change any , I will not , mind you I can understand some people thinking my one characters name "Carwash" to be unusual but she was indeed a cat in willow the whisp a male cat but still.She will never ever change her name.

Cheers,

BadOrb.
Actually, the name "Carwash" wouldn't be against the rules.
As for the other names, it would take someone to report you for anything to happen.

Quote: Originally Posted by XiamaraSimi View Post

Did you just report their names or did you explain why the names would be racist and obscene?
I find that the more detailed an explanation you give, the better.
I ran into someone who had a really obscene and racist name, but it was in swedish. So I explained in detail what the name meant in swedish and that there are many swedish players in SW:TOR and I haven't seen the guy since then.
Click here for free stuff.
Complaining about a problem without proposing a solution is called whining.
Click here to view my class storyline videos and preview blaster sounds