Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How to Become a Contender: Supplemental(Bolster, PvP Gear, and You)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
How to Become a Contender: Supplemental(Bolster, PvP Gear, and You)

JediMasterSLC
03.06.2014 , 12:35 AM | #291
Quote: Originally Posted by illgot View Post
any information on how bolster works in Ranked Warzones?

Is it the exact same thing?
Yep, pretty f***ing stupid eh?

illgot
03.06.2014 , 02:16 AM | #292
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMasterSLC View Post
Yep, pretty f***ing stupid eh?
yeah, that doesn't make any sense. I expected Rated to have zero bolstering for expertise or partial expertise bolstering, not full.

Now, from what I am understanding, as long as I get my 4 piece bonus (or 2 depending on class/spec) and my PvP relics (because PvE ones do not work in PvP), the rest of my gear can pretty much be level 45 blues or an assortment of mods as long as I don't go above a certain threshold on each item.

That makes ABSOLUTELY no sense.

duigha
03.08.2014 , 08:55 AM | #293
Quote: Originally Posted by illgot View Post
That makes ABSOLUTELY no sense.
Yet this is how it works...
ToFN Zelí | Zelé
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”
[ PvP Arenas Statistics | TOFN PvP Records ]

azasan
03.11.2014 , 08:50 AM | #294
Form PTS Game Update 2.7 - Invasion Patch Notes (Last Updated: March 6th, 2014):
(http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=724869)

"Corrected an issue that would cause combinations of lower level mods (such as the popular 46 blue mods) and higher level color crystals (including those from the Cartel Market) to result in a higher Bolster bonus than intended."

Is this now the end of this so called "bolster bug"?
"Hello dev's this is rock, and paper is totally over powered needing a nerf, scissors are OK though, kthxbye."

L-RANDLE
03.11.2014 , 03:07 PM | #295
Quote: Originally Posted by azasan View Post
Form PTS Game Update 2.7 - Invasion Patch Notes (Last Updated: March 6th, 2014):
(http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=724869)

"Corrected an issue that would cause combinations of lower level mods (such as the popular 46 blue mods) and higher level color crystals (including those from the Cartel Market) to result in a higher Bolster bonus than intended."

Is this now the end of this so called "bolster bug"?
Doesn't change anything. They also said they were increasing weapon damage, which means the 46 mods were only viable for force/tech classes in the first place. This patch still doesn't "fix" the issue of bolster being increases everytime a new PvP gear tier comes out. Outside of the weapons bolster nerf, Obroan will be relegated to third best over whatever PvE combo yields max EXP.

Most of the stuff in the OP will still be applicable, just change the names and the cutoff numbers.
PvP Gear Viability? Read this first.
Tired of being broke? Stop being Felica and read this.
I'm not trying to be Rambo..... I'm trying to be Ray Tango

idnewton
03.12.2014 , 12:44 AM | #296
Quote: Originally Posted by L-RANDLE View Post
Doesn't change anything. They also said they were increasing weapon damage, which means the 46 mods were only viable for force/tech classes in the first place. This patch still doesn't "fix" the issue of bolster being increases everytime a new PvP gear tier comes out. Outside of the weapons bolster nerf, Obroan will be relegated to third best over whatever PvE combo yields max EXP.

Most of the stuff in the OP will still be applicable, just change the names and the cutoff numbers.
No wonder my op was so much more effective than my jugg using it. It'll be interesting to see how said jugg plays out when using real gear
PRE-ORDER ACCOUNT LEGACY LEVEL 50 LEVEL +55s: 20
ETERNAL WARRIOR CHEEVO POINTS: +27,000

jqualey
03.31.2014 , 05:44 AM | #297
I have never done PVP before but I am trying to learn about it before I delve into it. My questions:

What is Bolster? (please dont laugh. Ive never played an MMO so I have no idea)

My friends talk about how they dont have their PVP gear on. Does that mean you dont wear your PVP gear in PVE? Why cant you?

L-RANDLE
03.31.2014 , 08:07 AM | #298
Quote: Originally Posted by jqualey View Post
I have never done PVP before but I am trying to learn about it before I delve into it. My questions:

What is Bolster? (please dont laugh. Ive never played an MMO so I have no idea)

My friends talk about how they dont have their PVP gear on. Does that mean you dont wear your PVP gear in PVE? Why cant you?
Bolster is a PvP formula that automatically increases your HP, main stat, and Expertise to a certain level. Since bolster is present in all warzones, PvP, the expertise, main, HP on PvP gear is moot, outside of a few considerations detailed in the OP.

Frankly, PvP gear is better for most endgame PvE content (except for top tier raids), than it is for PvP. I use my PvP gear to do HMFP and HM Ops without any issue, but I am using PvE weapons, as they get max bolster I'm WZs and they are 66/69/58, so they are still strong enough for FPs/OpS
PvP Gear Viability? Read this first.
Tired of being broke? Stop being Felica and read this.
I'm not trying to be Rambo..... I'm trying to be Ray Tango

phalczen
03.31.2014 , 11:21 PM | #299

Berserker > PvE combo > Obroan ... So, did you notice if, say, 69 or 72 gear is bolstered above Obroan? And I thought that the developers said Bolster was still going to be within 5% of Obroan (which is an improvement over live in the sense that obroan will be the new entry-level pvp gear). I thought the patch notes said that Bolster was taking into account the new tiers of pvE gear (not pvp)?

jqualey
04.03.2014 , 06:48 AM | #300
Thank you.

Bolster is a PvP formula that automatically increases your HP, main stat, and Expertise to a certain level. Since bolster is present in all warzones, PvP, the expertise, main, HP on PvP gear is moot, outside of a few considerations detailed in the OP.

Frankly, PvP gear is better for most endgame PvE content (except for top tier raids), than it is for PvP. I use my PvP gear to do HMFP and HM Ops without any issue, but I am using PvE weapons, as they get max bolster I'm WZs and they are 66/69/58, so they are still strong enough for FPs/OpS