Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[guide] How to get Grade 31/72 schematics

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
[guide] How to get Grade 31/72 schematics

psandak
01.17.2014 , 06:39 PM | #1
[guide] How to get Grade 34/Rating 180 schematics

At least once a week, I see Cybertechs, Artificers, and Armstechs asking the same question: "How do I get the grade 30/31/34 schematics? They are not available from the trainer."

And every time the response is the same: "Only by Reverse Engineering existing item modifications."

The steps are as follows:
  1. acquire an item with grade 30, 31, or 34 item modifications (they are available for either basic, elite, or ultimate commendations respectively, or they drop from level 55HMFPs or Operations respectively)
  2. rip the item modification you want the schematic for out of the item
  3. Pray to the RNG gods (because the chance of success is the standard 20%)
  4. Reverse engineer the item modification
If you get the schematic...
If not...
Rinse and Repeat

Regarding Ear pieces, Implants, and Relics the process is similar:
  1. acquire an Arkanian, Underworld, or Dread Forged token (NOTE: their comms counterparts - Black Market, Verpine, and Oriconian - will not work)
  2. Turn in the token for the item you want the schematic for.
  3. Pray to the RNG gods (because the chance of success is the standard 20%)
  4. Reverse engineer the piece
If you get the schematic...
If not...
Rinse and Repeat

Players want these schematics for one of two reasons:
  1. They want to get in on the action - selling these item modifications for the 1+ to 2+ million credits each
  2. They do not want to pay the 1+ to 2+ million credits each and think they can craft them cheaper

Well they'd be wrong on both counts:
There is no "action" on the overwhelming majority of these items (there is still small a market for barrels and hilts for main hand equipment because those items only drop from operations (can't get them through comms), and a handful of enhancements because they too are only available from operations drops). There are several explanations:
  1. Those who "need" them, have had the past six months to get "optimized" and can run through the HM DF/DP operations to get whatever they want/need
  2. Players see the 2+ million credit value and balk at buying them because they do not "need" them for the content they do
  3. Due to being able to RE other crafters' items the number of suppliers is high

And the materials to make these items are valued higher than the finished product. Sure you can get the Isotope-5 for 35 basic comms, but you need EIGHT of them to make one item modification...that's a LOT'O'Dailies. And sure you can get the Exotic Element Equalizers from bonus and final bosses in 55HMFPs, but again you need EIGHT of them...it will take an average of 16 runs of 55HMFPs to get the eight you need (that's assuming every run you do the bonus boss and everyone clicks need/greed the same; you can try to click need when all others click greed, but that will probably get you on a lot of /ignore lists fast). And then you STILL need the Mass Manipulation Generators and they drop from Operations (with the exception of the two each you get as a reward for completing the TFB and S&V SM quests) or can be purchased for 350 elite comms and 20 Exotic Element Equalizers (realize that the value of 20 EEEs on the GTN is HIGHER than the MMG).

The point is if you do a little research of your server's GTN, you will probably find that the value of 2MMGs+8I-5s+8EEEs+20 basic materials is HIGHER than the value of any grade 34 item modification.

Yes, there is the chance to crit. And with the right crew skill, with the right companion, and the legacy crit craftng unlocks, you have a 28% chance to get two of them. Those odds are pretty good right? Tell that to all those folks who claim the RNG is broken because they don't get crits (in crafting or missions) for 20-30 in a row.

I'm not saying one should not bother trying to get these schematics. What I am saying is actively seeking them is a waste your resources. If the opportunity presents itself:
  • You have nothing to spend your elite or ultimate comms on (ALL your level 50+ characters are either full 34/180 or have full 34/180 waiting for them)
  • You pick up an item with grade 30, 31, or 34 stuff in it and only use one or two of the pieces
...then by all means go for it. That's what I do. But actively seeking the schematics for these items will only lead to disappointment.

JattaGin
01.23.2014 , 05:00 PM | #3
That's maybe the most reasonable post I have read on this board. I have nothing to add.

eartharioch
01.23.2014 , 07:51 PM | #4
Maybe I missed something, but I thought you could only RE the schems from dropped or purchased items (that you equip/unequip to remove seller name), not from one bought with comms? I have no plans to go for the schems (unless, like you said, I just have an otherwise unusable piece), but I just wanted to clarify whether or not it can be done with gear purchased from comms.
Q: What did the five fingers say to the face?
A: It's a SLAP!

ItachiZaku
01.24.2014 , 07:31 AM | #5
Ok, this feels like a good place to ask this, without starting a new thread for it.

Would you advice buying the 31/168 mods/hilts/enhancements etc while leveling, if I have the means? My pub main is a gatherer and pumps decent coin. I'd like to tank when I get to max level, and I keep my gear up to date every 2 levels. My toons that are capable of crafting are not near max level to run the HMs to get the mats to get the blah blah, like the OP post.

If I don't start buying a few things here or there, I imagine i'll just waste the 4 mill on a white power crystal and be less prepared when I hit 55.
"Be careful Preston. You're treading on my dreams. "

psandak
01.24.2014 , 11:03 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by eartharioch View Post
Maybe I missed something, but I thought you could only RE the schems from dropped or purchased items (that you equip/unequip to remove seller name), not from one bought with comms? I have no plans to go for the schems (unless, like you said, I just have an otherwise unusable piece), but I just wanted to clarify whether or not it can be done with gear purchased from comms.
I have personally bought items with comms, ripped out the item modifications, put them into BoL gear to ship (via mail) them to my cybertech and artifice and armstech, ripped out the item modifications, and gotten schematics from RE. Maybe it is within that process that "permits" RE of comms gear item modifications, I do not know.

Quote: Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
Ok, this feels like a good place to ask this, without starting a new thread for it.

Would you advice buying the 31/168 mods/hilts/enhancements etc while leveling, if I have the means? My pub main is a gatherer and pumps decent coin. I'd like to tank when I get to max level, and I keep my gear up to date every 2 levels. My toons that are capable of crafting are not near max level to run the HMs to get the mats to get the blah blah, like the OP post.

If I don't start buying a few things here or there, I imagine i'll just waste the 4 mill on a white power crystal and be less prepared when I hit 55.
I would not worry all that much. One can successfully run level 55 HM FPs in gear populated with grade 25/58 Makeb planetary comms acquired Item modifications. It may be slower going but it is doable. And you will gear up quickly because most of your teammates will have no need for any gear that drops .

eartharioch
01.24.2014 , 12:00 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
I have personally bought items with comms, ripped out the item modifications, put them into BoL gear to ship (via mail) them to my cybertech and artifice and armstech, ripped out the item modifications, and gotten schematics from RE. Maybe it is within that process that "permits" RE of comms gear item modifications, I do not know.
Thanks! I was probably misremembering a previous discussion (or it might have been accurate for a different tier of gear).

Quote:
I would not worry all that much. One can successfully run level 55 HM FPs in gear populated with grade 25/58 Makeb planetary comms acquired Item modifications. It may be slower going but it is doable. And you will gear up quickly because most of your teammates will have no need for any gear that drops .
@ItachiZaku (psandak, please correct me if I missed something):

I'd definitely recommend that new 55s buy the 31 Barrel/Hilt for the MH, since you otherwise need Ultimate Comms. The Elite-Comm MH is only 30/162, costs 350 Elite Comms (next most expensive Elite item is 140), and requires Champion standing with CZ-198. I.e., you can buy 3 other pieces of Elite 31/168 gear for the same number of Comms.

I'd highly recommend the OH Hilt/Barrel, as there is no Basic Comm OH that I recall.

Caveat: If you buy the Hilt/barrel, you still need to get the mod and enh, but since they aren't locked to the slot like the barrel/hilt/armor, you can pull from much cheaper comm gear.

As psandak said, the 31 isn't necessary, and if you plan on gearing from raid drops and not just comms, you can get a good MH/OH earlier than Ultimate Comms. But if you have a few mil sitting around, the 31 MH/OH barrel/hilt is the best bang-for-buck for 31 gear.

Also: if you know what look you want, 2 mill should get you 9 MK-9 kits and purple augs for them (mh/oh/+armor).
Q: What did the five fingers say to the face?
A: It's a SLAP!

psandak
01.24.2014 , 12:49 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by eartharioch View Post
Thanks! I was probably misremembering a previous discussion (or it might have been accurate for a different tier of gear).

@ItachiZaku (psandak, please correct me if I missed something):

I'd definitely recommend that new 55s buy the 31 Barrel/Hilt for the MH, since you otherwise need Ultimate Comms. The Elite-Comm MH is only 30/162, costs 350 Elite Comms (next most expensive Elite item is 140), and requires Champion standing with CZ-198. I.e., you can buy 3 other pieces of Elite 31/168 gear for the same number of Comms.

I'd highly recommend the OH Hilt/Barrel, as there is no Basic Comm OH that I recall.

Caveat: If you buy the Hilt/barrel, you still need to get the mod and enh, but since they aren't locked to the slot like the barrel/hilt/armor, you can pull from much cheaper comm gear.

As psandak said, the 31 isn't necessary, and if you plan on gearing from raid drops and not just comms, you can get a good MH/OH earlier than Ultimate Comms. But if you have a few mil sitting around, the 31 MH/OH barrel/hilt is the best bang-for-buck for 31 gear.

Also: if you know what look you want, 2 mill should get you 9 MK-9 kits and purple augs for them (mh/oh/+armor).
with 2.4 and the Oriconian story, daily area, and operations, the gear offered for comms shifted down:
  • Campaign gear (grade 26) is still available for classic comms
  • "Artifact" gear (grade 28) is now available by running the Oriconian story (completing the quest line gets you five or six pieces of gear). And all grade 28 gear and item modifications can be crafted (different stat distributions, but equivalent gear level).
  • Black Market gear (grade 30) and "artifact" (Dread Guard) relics are available for Basic comms
  • Verpine gear (grade 31) is available for Elite comms
  • Oriconian gear (grade 34) is available for Ultimate comms
NOTE: For both grade 31 and 34 MH weapons, implants and relics are not available for comms
NOTE: Grade 34 item modifications cannot be reverse engineered for schematics...YET. That will probably change when NiM DF and DP come out.
  • Level 55HMFPs bosses drop Black Market gear and elite comms
  • the Czerka Core Meltdown final boss drops an Arkanian ear piece token.
  • Set Bonus gear (Arkanian[30], Underworld[31], Kell Dragon[32], and Dread Forged[34], are only available from Operations
NOTE: Kell Dragon gear is only available through NiM operations and will therefore never be able to be reverse engineered for schematics.

psandak
01.30.2014 , 02:29 PM | #9
shameless bump to get this back on the first page .