Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Blackbolt gets no love


Icebergy's Avatar


Icebergy
01.09.2014 , 01:36 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Slivovidze View Post
That is kinda strong statement nobody is gonna agree with. Only us ND pilots know better.
The people on Jedi Covenant are slowly learning to fear the Nova as I light their asses up. Although tbh they are probably convinced that I'm killing them as a Gunship, given how fast they die.
Unsubscribed due to no new Operations.
I am happy that there will be a renewed focus on story, I love story, its why I picked this MMO. But I picked an MMO, not an episodic single player RPG that I have to pay a subscription to receive the episodes.

Slivovidze's Avatar


Slivovidze
01.09.2014 , 01:39 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Icebergy View Post
The people on Jedi Covenant are slowly learning to fear the Nova as I light their asses up. Although tbh they are probably convinced that I'm killing them as a Gunship, given how fast they die.
Allow me a question. You mentioned you use Laser Cannon. What capacitor you use with it? (also with some reasoning, if possible)

DEATHICIDE's Avatar


DEATHICIDE
01.09.2014 , 01:40 PM | #23
I use an apparent "gimp" loadout on mine, being the sab probe and the sensor beacon.

Those two features are arguably under-rated.
Let us also not forget the sensor dampening, making those speedy and stealthy escapes possible.

Sure, they will not make you climb the scoreboard any higher, and will actually cause the opposite to your personal score, however as far as your team is concerned, a well placed sensor beacon can cause a world of hurt to an ignorant team.

We can now see your gunships stocked with sensor dampening who believe they are under cover, any ships near our often ignored beacon get a debuff, and our team can see you on the approach, making planning your demise something that happens before you have even decided which node you are headed towards.

The sab probe, well it is not the greatest, but if you can creep up and smack it on that ace pilot griefing your team, aside from pi***** them right off, it for sure leaves them nice and ready to receive that payload from your players who previously were not having much luck with a lock on.

Is this better than rocket pods?

No, but I am not flying my scout to take out turrets or to be a dogfighting menace.

I use my build to be an all out scout ship, and if that is what you want to do with yours, try out the "gimp" build and let us know what you think, because in my opinion, the gimp build can turn the tide of a match, no question about it.
Republic Diehard-Imperial Diehard-Founder Of The Old Republic

The Most Valuable - Devastator - Fleet Admiral - Space Magnate

Icebergy's Avatar


Icebergy
01.09.2014 , 01:41 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Slivovidze View Post
Allow me a question. You mentioned you use Laser Cannon. What capacitor you use with it? (also with some reasoning, if possible)
Fully upgraded Frequency for maximum burst damage. I don't need the extra range, because my mobility allows me to dictate this, and I personally felt that Frequency was more of a DPS increase than the Damage one.
Unsubscribed due to no new Operations.
I am happy that there will be a renewed focus on story, I love story, its why I picked this MMO. But I picked an MMO, not an episodic single player RPG that I have to pay a subscription to receive the episodes.

Slivovidze's Avatar


Slivovidze
01.09.2014 , 01:47 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by DEATHICIDE View Post
I use an apparent "gimp" loadout on mine, being the sab probe and the sensor beacon.

Those two features are arguably under-rated.
Let us also not forget the sensor dampening, making those speedy and stealthy escapes possible.

Sure, they will not make you climb the scoreboard any higher, and will actually cause the opposite to your personal score, however as far as your team is concerned, a well placed sensor beacon can cause a world of hurt to an ignorant team.

We can now see your gunships stocked with sensor dampening who believe they are under cover, any ships near our often ignored beacon get a debuff, and our team can see you on the approach, making planning your demise something that happens before you have even decided which node you are headed towards.

The sab probe, well it is not the greatest, but if you can creep up and smack it on that ace pilot griefing your team, aside from pi***** them right off, it for sure leaves them nice and ready to receive that payload from your players who previously were not having much luck with a lock on.

Is this better than rocket pods?

No, but I am not flying my scout to take out turrets or to be a dogfighting menace.

I use my build to be an all out scout ship, and if that is what you want to do with yours, try out the "gimp" build and let us know what you think, because in my opinion, the gimp build can turn the tide of a match, no question about it.
Even though beacons haven't earned my trust from looking at their numbers in hangar, I always tend to shoot them when I see some in game.
The Sabotage Probe? That's one ugly mofo. You know how as a scout you often let the enemy long lock ons finish just so evade a second later, so the enemy has a rocket wasted? Well, if you try that against a Sabotage Probe, it just pops on you immediately and you can go punch a wall. Sadly I found myself unable to successfully land so long lock on (can't even do clusters), so it's a no no for me.

No doubt that your build can be highly underestimated by enemies and can give much profit to your team, but it sure requires some balls to go in there with these things!


Quote: Originally Posted by Icebergy View Post
Fully upgraded Frequency for maximum burst damage. I don't need the extra range, because my mobility allows me to dictate this, and I personally felt that Frequency was more of a DPS increase than the Damage one.
Yep, thanks. Got similar reasoning. Using Light laser ATM, with the Frequency capacitor, too.

Tchaktuli's Avatar


Tchaktuli
01.09.2014 , 04:22 PM | #26
Wow, a lot of good responses so far. it's great to see I'm not the only one who enjoys the Blackbolt/Novadive scout. It also tells me that I am not that far off from being half decent. I almost always end up with twice as many assists as kills. <-- (based on what I've read with hit and run tactics of softening up enemies you can't blast through.)

I think my biggest area of improvement then is going to be trying to recognize when it is time to break off and stop trying to dogfight unless I am keeping them from capping then work on evasion and leave the killing to my teammates. One of my last matches I was one-shot by a Gunship then hunted it down, burned it up and went back to doing what I was doing. They got me again later on while I was working on capping a node but I'd had my revenge.

Great! So then that leads me to ask what my fellow Blackbolt/Novadives are running for setups and being sucessful. (I'm going to hold off on revealing what I run for the moment)
Squadron 11/11/11 Never Forget

arkanone's Avatar


arkanone
01.09.2014 , 10:30 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Danylia View Post
My main ship is a Blackbolt, built for speed (Booster Recharge) and using Light Laser Cannon and Rocket Pods. .
If you want speed you need to get Barrel Roll and upgrade it 2 levels. That gives you more mobility than Booster Recharge and allows you to slot Targeting Telemetry instead, which is a huge damage upgrade.

Danylia's Avatar


Danylia
01.10.2014 , 01:55 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by arkanone View Post
If you want speed you need to get Barrel Roll and upgrade it 2 levels. That gives you more mobility than Booster Recharge and allows you to slot Targeting Telemetry instead, which is a huge damage upgrade.
True, though any of the four Engine abilities gives you the same boost to ship speed when fully upgraded. And while it is right that Barrel Roll allows quick travelling by itself, I consider it a cheese mechanics (like Gunship's Ion tap) and would not be surprised to see it nerfed/adjusted in the future. The Engine abilities were indended as missile lock breakers, not as means for faster travel.
Quote: Originally Posted by Rafkin View Post
Last nights group finder was a mess. The short version is that two of the people were really bad but the tank was pretty good. After we called it I asked the tank if he wanted to queue up with me. He said "I'm eleven and I have to go to bed".
The one guy who knew what he was doing was eleven years old.

Nemarus's Avatar


Nemarus
01.10.2014 , 11:20 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Danylia View Post
True, though any of the four Engine abilities gives you the same boost to ship speed when fully upgraded. And while it is right that Barrel Roll allows quick travelling by itself, I consider it a cheese mechanics (like Gunship's Ion tap) and would not be surprised to see it nerfed/adjusted in the future. The Engine abilities were indended as missile lock breakers, not as means for faster travel.
That is not what he meant.

Activating Barrel Roll launches you several thousand meters forward, faster and cheaper than afterburners. No other evasion ability can be used as a travel skill.
Shayd / Callem / RK-4X / "Trynt" - Leader of <Eclipse Squadron>, The Ebon Hawk
http://EclipseSquadron.enjin.com Imperial GSF-focused guild

"Serve the Emperor above all others."

arkanone's Avatar


arkanone
01.10.2014 , 12:17 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Nemarus View Post
That is not what he meant.

Activating Barrel Roll launches you several thousand meters forward, faster and cheaper than afterburners. No other evasion ability can be used as a travel skill.
Exactly. You get more mobility and higher DPS. Can't beat it.