Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Confirmation of Windows 8.1 Issues

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Confirmation of Windows 8.1 Issues

OwenBrooks
01.08.2014 , 08:58 AM | #21
The EDID data is stored in each monitor by the monitor manufacturer, the registry data from the EDID is created and put their by Microsoft, SWTOR reads the data

Most people don't have an issue , I know I sure don't, and now your sorted as yours was a simple fix by editing just the client_setting file just for the game.

Djspinister
01.08.2014 , 09:11 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post
The EDID data is stored in each monitor by the monitor manufacturer, the registry data from the EDID is created and put their by Microsoft, SWTOR reads the data

Most people don't have an issue , I know I sure don't, and now your sorted as yours was a simple fix by editing just the client_setting file just for the game.
Absolutely. My gripe is with the lackadaisical attitude towards an alternative to the end consumer having to edit ANYTHING!

Have a wonderful day!

Kquark
01.22.2014 , 06:27 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Glzmo View Post
Now I'm not using the atrocity that is Windows 8/8, but here are some things you may wish to try:

I. Here are some step-by-step instructions to set your resolution manually before starting the game, hopefully it will help:

1. Make sure the game is not running.
2. Copy %LocalAppData%\SWTOR\swtor\settings and paste it into your Windows Explorer's address bar (i hope Windows 8.x still allows you to do that).
3. Open the file client_settings.ini with your favorite text editor (if the file doesn't exist, please create one manually and add the entries in step 4 yourself).
4. Make the following changes/additions to your client_settings.ini file and save them (the example is for the resolution of 1920x1080 aka Full HD/1080p. Replace 1920 with your monitor's native resolution width and 1080 with your native resolution's height respectively if that isn't your native resolution or it won't work):
Code:
[Renderer]
Height = 1080
NativeHeight = 1080
NativeWidth = 1920
Width = 1920
WindowX = 0
WindowY = 0
FullScreen = true
D3DFullScreen = true
I hope this will help.

II. In addition, make sure to download and install the latest Windows 8.1 compatible video card driver for your video card from nvidia.com (or amd.com if for those that have a Radeon video card). Do not use the one that's automatically installed by Windows or supplied by Windows Update as these tend to be stripped down versions of drivers that can create problems with games.
Worked great. Tyvm

amarkrieder
03.20.2014 , 03:41 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Kquark View Post
Worked great. Tyvm
I had this same issue and attempted the same fix, which worked but i also noticed another issue which is not mentioned here. All the ini files had been set to read only by win 8.1 which prevented any changes till I removed the read only attribute, I was then able to make the changes to the suggested settings to start the client, but was then unable to save any change to settings in the char specific interface, it says they were saved but then reset to the old settings after logging out of the game. After checking I noted that all my char specific ini settings files had the read only attribute set as well, so i removed this to see if the char specific settings would stay changed after relogging.
After removing the read only attribute from all the ini files I am now able to change and to retain the saved changes for each char after relogging. This needs to be fixed as many will not know about the read only attribute being set by windows.
The one thing I am not sure about is where this change came from whether it was windows 8.1 or the patcher which made the change to the file attributes but I suspect it was the patcher as I did not have this issue before a certain patch (cannot remember exactly which).