Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Error Code 4001, prevous forum posts I've read are no help

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
Error Code 4001, prevous forum posts I've read are no help

SlimGenre
11.24.2013 , 01:05 AM | #1
New install on new laptop, however old account. I have been scouring the forums and google looking for an answer, but I keep seeing support offering the same possible solutions and being told that's not working and then no followup, I'm hoping for some followup. Here's the following I've done thus far so please don't suggest the same. The entire game has been downloaded, not the the initial portion allowing play on starter-worlds

First, it's a new install on a new laptop, the game works just fine on my desktop and it worked just fine on my previous laptop as well. New laptop is Windows 8. Based on what I've read on previous forum posts, here's what I've done so far

Both swtor and launcher exe files have admin privileges set as well as both running in Win 7 compat mode. I have tried them in other modes as well just to be sure.

I have flushed my dns

there are no issues with the firewall/router, as mentioned it continues to work just fine on my old laptop and my desktop

I have no anti-virus software on my computer and therefore cannot be blocking it

I have made sure both the windows clock and the bios clock are correct (someone suggested that causes a time out error)

I did all the above and then sucked it up and deleted the entire game and reinstalled it, which wasted a day, and continue to have the same problems.

Please advise, thank you for your help.

OwenBrooks
11.24.2013 , 01:53 AM | #2
4001 is a network error
Well you may have no Antivirus but you certainly have a Firewall on Win 8 , so add exceptions for launcher.exe and swtor.exe , Remove the compat it may be confusing the issue as well.
http://www.wikihow.com/Add-Exception...ows-8-Firewall
Add both launcher.exe and swtor.exe and give them full access

If you have the game on the other systems there is no need to keep downloading just copy the game folder over from the other system and run the launcher

4001 wouldn't normally cause a crash, what it can do is if you click ok on the error popup it would normally go to a 9000 error and clicking that will close the game.

SlimGenre
11.24.2013 , 03:03 AM | #3
you are correct, the game didn't crash, but i did click the popup error notification and it closed the game.

I did as you suggested and added them to the list and got the same problem. I then disabled the firewall just to see if I was missing something, that did not work either.

Any other suggestions?

Also, thank you for the suggestion of just copying from one comp to the next, but I hope I can resolve this without having to remove the program again.

OwenBrooks
11.24.2013 , 03:11 AM | #4
When is this error occurring as soon as it starts or when it gets to the server list ?

I would be looking for peerblocking or have you ever set port forward rules on the modem firewall ?

Have you tried disabling the firewall on the modem ?

4001 can be a port block for example, why it doesn't affect the other 2 systems is the question, port forward would be one possible cause

thunah
11.24.2013 , 06:04 AM | #5
I have similiar problem.

I can play for about 1 hour, then I get knocked back to server selection screen with a 4001 error.

If I click OK, the game WILL shut Down asap. If I click "more info..." in the splash screen, and afterwards Closes the help screen, I can log on the server from server selection after 2 tries.

I already made a post about this, since Im using a brand new PC with only swtor/win7 installed. And yes; swtor/launcher have full access to everything.

OwenBrooks
11.24.2013 , 06:27 AM | #6
Does the same thing happen on different server region or servers ?
Do you get lag or just the disconnect
Also which ISP / region and server your playing on, are you in case others similar have same issue, helps narrow down the cause

Time Warner (and possibly Comcast) had disconnect (9000,4001) issues about 2 days ago with WoW and SWTOR for example http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...=699468&page=2

I had a quick look at your previous posts, with Kaperskey ensure "Scan Secure Connections" is disabled, this would normally cause the server list to be empty but just to be safe.

thunah
11.24.2013 , 09:31 AM | #7
I just checked with Kaskersky and its disabled. Running on high risk.

I play on Tomb of Freedom Nadd, EU, PVP.

I have no lags, no delays, runs perfect, but suddenly out of the blue, I gets booted back to server selection with 4001. If im in a warzone, its all lost.

ISP is Danish "YOUSEE", biggest one we have here.

I have only been playing on that server, so I do not know if its the same if I change..

SlimGenre
11.24.2013 , 02:05 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post
When is this error occurring as soon as it starts or when it gets to the server list ?

I would be looking for peerblocking or have you ever set port forward rules on the modem firewall ?

Have you tried disabling the firewall on the modem ?

4001 can be a port block for example, why it doesn't affect the other 2 systems is the question, port forward would be one possible cause
While I know by definition what "peerblocking" means, I have no idea what you're asking me.

I will try disabling the firewall on the modem, but I can't imagine that's the issue since I am still able to log in fine with my old laptop.

I also don't know what "port forward" means, although I assume it means the modem is forwarding info through a different port?

SlimGenre
11.24.2013 , 02:46 PM | #9
- SOLVED -

Your suggestion to revert back from the compatability change I made corrected it, so if I work back through the steps I did and then undid... the ONE step to remedy this was to make sure launcher AND swtor.exe were both listed as exemptions on my Win 8 firewall, all other "solutions" I read on other forum posts actually made the problem worse...

thank you Owen for your guidance

OwenBrooks
11.24.2013 , 05:43 PM | #10
Welcome Mate, Glad to hear it is sorted.