Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR client won't exit (Windows 8 64b)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
SWTOR client won't exit (Windows 8 64b)

TheIronMonkey
11.23.2013 , 02:22 AM | #1
New machine, new installation. Game running great, BUT

After several hours of play game client won't exit.

I get a black screen with the gold arrow from SWTOR where I should get the desktop.
I thenj ctl-alt-delete, and ask for a task manager. I get to desktop, with the launch bar at the bottom, black screen. No windows can be seen, not even the task manager I just requested. I then went back to the Win8 start screen, and requested a power shell. Now I got the desktop, with windows, but the cursor still gold (as in SWTOR) and can't click on any windows.

I pulled up the task manager, killed the swtor client using tab and delete, got back to normal.

This is happening two days ago every time I exit, 4 times so far.

As mentioned, brand new installation on new machine, only modification is custom UI I have always used.
I don't know if this is a Sith thing, but at the beginning of every game conversation my first thought is "You are so dead"...

OwenBrooks
11.23.2013 , 02:26 AM | #2
First things to check , ensure launcher.exe and swtor.exe are in the AV and Firewall exception lists

I would then run launcher.exe and swtor.exe as administrator

install the directx 9 redist - http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/downl...s.aspx?id=8109

And ensure the video drivers are up to date

GreyWolfSC
11.23.2013 , 07:57 AM | #3
It takes a very long time for the client to shut down for me. Sometimes 4-5 minutes. The drive just thrashes away and makes the whole computer unresponsive. I've found logging out on my ship helps but I think it's just the way the game mismanages memory.

On 8.1 but it did it on 7 and 8, too.

TheIronMonkey
11.23.2013 , 01:06 PM | #4
Owen, most of your recommendations seem to concern an issue starting. But

- Core I7 4770, 8Gb ram, Win 8.1 64 Bit
- Nvidia GT 635, ;atest drivers from Dell, no drivers listed at NVidia. (3165 from 10/27/2013)
- Direct X 11
- I have set the executable to run as admin

I will allow it more time to see what happens.
I don't know if this is a Sith thing, but at the beginning of every game conversation my first thought is "You are so dead"...

OwenBrooks
11.23.2013 , 04:27 PM | #5
Can you post a dxdiag - http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...507#post749507

The disk thrashing is interesting

Is there any change if you use - http://www.koshyjohn.com/software/memclean/ this uses windows functions to release memory

What I posted earlier is known things that have assisted long shutdowns

TheIronMonkey
11.24.2013 , 12:35 PM | #6
Well, the initial problem is gone, since now the client crashes at will. Walking around, doing missions, taking to vendors, it just goes away and suddenly I am facing the desktop.

I am monitoring the video card for temperatures. Seems to be running around 70c. :-/