Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why is being good at PvP viewed with such a negative connotation?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Why is being good at PvP viewed with such a negative connotation?

benovide's Avatar


benovide
11.15.2013 , 12:35 AM | #101
Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post
Maybe.

But they laugh at the 99% rest of the players.



It's exactly like this.

But - PvP players won't do a thing about those who drag the reputation of the *whole* PvP players down - I don't know why, but I tend to believe that there is some sort of cameraderie, omertá or something like that. In German language there's a proverb describing exactly what I mean : " A crow won't hack out anothoer crow's eye."

PvP players stick together like glue.
If someone's ego is poured into a game so dramatically, give them the mental health phone number for addiction services. I have never laughed at newer or "not as talented" players in any game I've played and "became good" or even became "decent" in.

It's called taking a slice of humble pie.

AlrikFassbauer's Avatar


AlrikFassbauer
11.15.2013 , 06:55 AM | #102
Quote: Originally Posted by benovide View Post
If someone's ego is poured into a game so dramatically, give them the mental health phone number for addiction services. I have never laughed at newer or "not as talented" players in any game I've played and "became good" or even became "decent" in.

It's called taking a slice of humble pie.
Maybe, but these foruims are full of ranting about "bads", "carebears", "bottom feeders" and whatever other words are invented to insult those who are just not at the top positions.
And the chat is full of similar rantings as well.
“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

fdbgjfdhjgkjdhsg's Avatar


fdbgjfdhjgkjdhsg
11.15.2013 , 08:43 AM | #103
Quote: Originally Posted by Gnoblesse View Post
My former pvp guild included a radiologist, a gastroenterologist, a dentist, a stock broker, and others I'm probably forgetting. A couple of other PvP friends I know include an eye surgeon and a lawyer.

Try again.
I think it is kind of hard to point fingers here. This game has so many players and I'm sure a lot of them have a life. My friends and I are in 8th grade and play this game as I am sure people in their 50s play it. The point is that you can't call some guy who just got unbeatable and came in first place in two warzones a low life gamer who lives in his mother's basement simply because he may have just had a good day in pvp as I have and I am sure other people do. I'm not saying that there aren't any no life gamers who play this game but you can't just call them that because they killed you a few times and got unbeatable. There would be no evidence to support that claim.

DainjaMouz's Avatar


DainjaMouz
11.15.2013 , 09:21 AM | #104
Quote: Originally Posted by fdbgjfdhjgkjdhsg View Post
I think it is kind of hard to point fingers here. This game has so many players and I'm sure a lot of them have a life. My friends and I are in 8th grade and play this game as I am sure people in their 50s play it. The point is that you can't call some guy who just got unbeatable and came in first place in two warzones a low life gamer who lives in his mother's basement simply because he may have just had a good day in pvp as I have and I am sure other people do. I'm not saying that there aren't any no life gamers who play this game but you can't just call them that because they killed you a few times and got unbeatable. There would be no evidence to support that claim.
Wow...an 8th grader with a rational argument. Nicely played! Anyone want to call the 8th grader a d-bag because s/he happens to like being successful at PvP? Come on, it's the PvP forum. All you PvP haterz should be jumping onto this like sharks on pork chop.
The PvP Fringe @ Jedi Covenant
Ashes of Ashla Andrrikan - lvl 55 MM | Ultetharu - lvl 14 Merc
Dainjamous - lvl 36 Sentinel
"Less frou frou, more pew pew!"

ZooMzy's Avatar


ZooMzy
11.15.2013 , 10:39 AM | #105
Quote: Originally Posted by DainjaMouz View Post
Wow...an 8th grader with a rational argument. Nicely played! Anyone want to call the 8th grader a d-bag because s/he happens to like being successful at PvP? Come on, it's the PvP forum. All you PvP haterz should be jumping onto this like sharks on pork chop.
Kind of like how everyone is so ready to jump on the people who have the audacity to complain about the disrespect casual players display?

But hey, who am I to complain? I mean, people think the competitive players are a bunch of egotistical punks who cause all the problems and give negative rep to PvP, yet people also forget raging is the product of something, not the catalyst.

Woops, there I go again with the big words. Let's try this in a different way:

"u noobs all suk, l2p, h2f and make em pay"

cashogy_reborn's Avatar


cashogy_reborn
11.15.2013 , 10:42 AM | #106
Quote: Originally Posted by fdbgjfdhjgkjdhsg View Post
I think it is kind of hard to point fingers here. This game has so many players and I'm sure a lot of them have a life. My friends and I are in 8th grade and play this game as I am sure people in their 50s play it. The point is that you can't call some guy who just got unbeatable and came in first place in two warzones a low life gamer who lives in his mother's basement simply because he may have just had a good day in pvp as I have and I am sure other people do. I'm not saying that there aren't any no life gamers who play this game but you can't just call them that because they killed you a few times and got unbeatable. There would be no evidence to support that claim.
Congrats on forming a more logical and fact based argument than the majority of people in this thread.
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

DainjaMouz's Avatar


DainjaMouz
11.15.2013 , 10:58 AM | #107
Quote: Originally Posted by ZooMzy View Post
Kind of like how everyone is so ready to jump on the people who have the audacity to complain about the disrespect casual players display?
Yes, exactly like that.
Quote: Originally Posted by ZooMzy View Post
But hey, who am I to complain? I mean, people think the competitive players are a bunch of egotistical punks who cause all the problems and give negative rep to PvP, yet people also forget raging is the product of something, not the catalyst.
I take it that your strawman here (i.e., "people think") is actually your opinion. So, why not take credit for it?
Quote: Originally Posted by ZooMzy View Post
Woops, there I go again with the big words. Let's try this in a different way:

"u noobs all suk, l2p, h2f and make em pay"
Yes, let's throw in an insult, further validating the OPs original hypothesis.
The PvP Fringe @ Jedi Covenant
Ashes of Ashla Andrrikan - lvl 55 MM | Ultetharu - lvl 14 Merc
Dainjamous - lvl 36 Sentinel
"Less frou frou, more pew pew!"

Ifolad's Avatar


Ifolad
11.15.2013 , 12:37 PM | #108
Usually it's because those guys that are in the EGL and UGL are more often than not total jerks in every aspect of their life. Successful in day jobs or not. Now this game isn't part of the EGL and UGL and with the hero engine it probably never will be. Have a buddy who plays COD on one of those squads and when i'm at his house watching the daily activity of these types of clans the perceived notion is that people WILL be fired or kicked off the team if they don't have a positive K/D ratio or if they're at fault for letting the enemy team win. And honestly while he's playing i'm not sure why i'm friends with him lol.

This perception has bled over onto MMO "normal" community as you often get guys who live, bleed, eat, and die over pvp berating casuals over who's guarding the node and who goes where. Then these same guys who have tactics pounded into their head by a clan leader who's under such pressure for his reputation and 40 dollar a month check he gets for online competitive play decide they can't understand why casuals don't have the same mentality about PVP that they do.

Then they come on forums and cry about why people don't know to kill healers or why people are camping at the PVE portion of the PVP warzone.

So... this goes on for some time then the hardcore pvper gets smart and only que's with his buddies. These pre-made facerollers then que most of the time against other well made well organized squads and things are just great. Until.... one of these squads ends up in a pvp match against a team of casuals. We all know what happens in this warzone. Consequences of such are that the facerolled come to forums and complain about how pre-mades are breaking pvp. This is an endless cycle.

In conclusion: Casuals have a negative connotation of good pvpers because they feel that in order to be good at something you have to practice ALL THE TIME and be an intense, loud, order giving, drill sgt.. Well.... hate to tell ya, some people are just good at doing some things and practice helps but it isn't always the case. In the case of practice realize that some of these guys have been playing MMO pvp for years now.

that is all.

-Ifolad

Seireeni's Avatar


Seireeni
11.15.2013 , 01:26 PM | #109
Quote: Originally Posted by DainjaMouz View Post
Yes, exactly like that.

I take it that your strawman here (i.e., "people think") is actually your opinion. So, why not take credit for it?

Yes, let's throw in an insult, further validating the OPs original hypothesis.
It's not a strawman. I've been argueing with this person for a while. He thinks "ranting" at "bads" is justified and they deserve, and the "bads" and/or casuals are the only problem, or at least the "source" of the problem that should be fixed. The insult was perobably targeted at bads and/or casuals.
There is a face beneath this mask but it's not me.
Red Eclipse - 22 characters - The Firslay Legacy

DainjaMouz's Avatar


DainjaMouz
11.15.2013 , 01:35 PM | #110
Quote: Originally Posted by Seireeni View Post
It's not a strawman. I've been argueing with this person for a while. He thinks "ranting" at "bads" is justified and they deserve, and the "bads" and/or casuals are the only problem, or at least the "source" of the problem that should be fixed. The insult was perobably targeted at bads and/or casuals.
ty...totally misread that.
The PvP Fringe @ Jedi Covenant
Ashes of Ashla Andrrikan - lvl 55 MM | Ultetharu - lvl 14 Merc
Dainjamous - lvl 36 Sentinel
"Less frou frou, more pew pew!"