Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Updated: How to Become a Contender

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Updated: How to Become a Contender

VIZIOO
10.28.2013 , 09:12 AM | #51
Excellent article! but have to disagree on pre-made groups. Since you could not provide any facts that such groups are not taking place, or that SWTOR has taken preventive measures against such groups . In fact, a pre-made groups does not have to be the entire opposing team. It can easily be 3 or 4 players who had decided to group together through regular group finder. Happens all the time throughout MMO games.

ManiacDavis
10.29.2013 , 02:01 AM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by VIZIOO View Post
Excellent article! but have to disagree on pre-made groups. Since you could not provide any facts that such groups are not taking place, or that SWTOR has taken preventive measures against such groups . In fact, a pre-made groups does not have to be the entire opposing team. It can easily be 3 or 4 players who had decided to group together through regular group finder. Happens all the time throughout MMO games.
Thanks. I'm not sure I quite understand your comment about the pre-made group though. The main purpose of the "pre-made" section is to foster players who work as a team as opposed to turning objective warzones into deathmatches and arenas into lets run into the enemy and die instantly without any planning or forethought (which commonly happens). Pre-made groups definetely occur, but there strength does not lie in the fact they are a pre-made. I have seen countless pre-mades (4 or more players of same guild) completely fail and lose in a warzone.

However, good premades work together and help each other become better players, which all PvP players should strive to do. Additionally, playing with other players via voice comms allows you as a player to grow and learn from the experiences, failures, and achievements of those around you. They can save you valuable time in deciding which set bonus to use or what your rotation should be, etc. My guildmates continuly push me to be the best I can possibly be and save me from failures I would otherwise make.
Man-iac - The Only Commando Left Standing
http://www.twitch.tv/rrmaniac

LtBombshell
11.03.2013 , 11:09 PM | #53
I have 3.4k RW comms and 400 WZ comms, which isn't enough to get full conq or Obroan. With the way bolster currently works, what is the best way for me to get more comms without getting squished? I ask simply because I've hears either you have all PvP armour or none.

ManiacDavis
11.03.2013 , 11:50 PM | #54
Quote: Originally Posted by LtBombshell View Post
I have 3.4k RW comms and 400 WZ comms, which isn't enough to get full conq or Obroan. With the way bolster currently works, what is the best way for me to get more comms without getting squished? I ask simply because I've hears either you have all PvP armour or none.
You do not need to have full PvP armor to be viable in regular PvP. PvE gear will be bolstered up to a level slightly below conqueror.

The quickest way to get comms is to do solo ranked because it guarantees you will get an arena (which is significantly quicker than the other warzone types) and it awards ranked comms. Of course, going into ranked without full pvp gear can be frustrating. Doing regular warzones can get you conqueror gear in a relatively short amount of time. Just make sure you get 8 medals so you can maximize your commendation gain.

naldoran
11.08.2013 , 10:40 AM | #55
Quote: Originally Posted by ManiacDavis View Post
You do not need to have full PvP armor to be viable in regular PvP. PvE gear will be bolstered up to a level slightly below conqueror.
Now here's where I get confused. I primarily play PvE, and as such have a set of optimized gear on my operative healer which is nearly all rank 78, plus two Obroan relics (easier to get than Dread Forged). I've also managed to pick up a full set of conqueror armour (no weapons, no implants/ear), but whenever I put it on, I find that I put out noticeably less healing than in the full PvE gear+pvp relics. With bolster + PvE gear, I get about a 13% healing boost to players, vs. 17% or so with the conqueror pieces equipped, yet the gear difference between the 78 pve stuff & 65 conqueror in terms of normal stats is huge. A typical non-arena match will see me with 1.2 to 1.8 million healing, with up to 300k less on average in the pvp gear.

Am I missing something, or is the PvP gear simply not as good for healers as optimized PvE equipment?

ManiacDavis
11.08.2013 , 04:08 PM | #56
Quote: Originally Posted by naldoran View Post
Now here's where I get confused. I primarily play PvE, and as such have a set of optimized gear on my operative healer which is nearly all rank 78, plus two Obroan relics (easier to get than Dread Forged). I've also managed to pick up a full set of conqueror armour (no weapons, no implants/ear), but whenever I put it on, I find that I put out noticeably less healing than in the full PvE gear+pvp relics. With bolster + PvE gear, I get about a 13% healing boost to players, vs. 17% or so with the conqueror pieces equipped, yet the gear difference between the 78 pve stuff & 65 conqueror in terms of normal stats is huge. A typical non-arena match will see me with 1.2 to 1.8 million healing, with up to 300k less on average in the pvp gear.

Am I missing something, or is the PvP gear simply not as good for healers as optimized PvE equipment?
This is a heavily debated topic on the forums, and there are many facets that play into your perception of doing better with PvE gear. First, the set bonuses for operative are vastly different. PvE set bonus increases healing done to the AOE heal whereas PvP set bonus gives defensive utility. Most PvP scoundrels end up using the PvE set bonus because the 30% increase (which can double stack) is seen as vastly superior. This alone may be the reason your healing is better in PvE gear.

When bolster was first implemented, we were promised a lengthy dev post on the math behind bolster. Unfortunately, this post has never come to fruition and we are left guessing at how it actually works.

naldoran
11.08.2013 , 05:49 PM | #57
How exactly do you get the PvE set bonuses to double-stack? I tried it once with the old Campaign gear set bonus + Underworld set bonus, and got nothing. Double 2-pc set bonus would be awesome, details?

ManiacDavis
11.08.2013 , 06:23 PM | #58
Quote: Originally Posted by naldoran View Post
How exactly do you get the PvE set bonuses to double-stack? I tried it once with the old Campaign gear set bonus + Underworld set bonus, and got nothing. Double 2-pc set bonus would be awesome, details?
Because I consider it a bug/exploit on the same level of the recently fixed absorb relic, or double procing power relics, or vangaurds being able to guard while in DPS cell, I will not share how these feats are accomplished. I am sure there are plenty of scoundrels running around in the gear set though.

funkiestj
11.15.2013 , 03:23 PM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by ManiacDavis View Post
Because I consider it a bug/exploit ... of scoundrels running around in the gear set though.
On the healing side, scouperatives are the only healers that have this set bonus stacking bug, right?

P.S. Maniac Davis for mayor of PvP town! Thanks for taking ownership of this guide!

Mr. Hat says "BW support is the best"!
I am a bad player, so what?

ManiacDavis
11.15.2013 , 05:13 PM | #60
Quote: Originally Posted by funkiestj View Post
On the healing side, scouperatives are the only healers that have this set bonus stacking bug, right?

P.S. Maniac Davis for mayor of PvP town! Thanks for taking ownership of this guide!
I am not sure if they are the only one, but the PvE set bonus is the most beneficial for scoundrels as opposed to other classes. For example the commando set bonus (PVP: Concussion Charge CD -5 seconds and Rail Shot Crit Chance +15% v. PvE: Grav Round DMG Increase 5% and Rail Shot Increase DMG or Crit or something). I dont quite remember off of the top of my head. You can see though that both set bonuses are relatively the same wheras the Scoundrel set bonus is vastly different. The PvE increases healing whereas the PvP increases survivability (of which the scoundrel already has plenty).