Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Confirmation of Windows 8.1 Issues

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
Confirmation of Windows 8.1 Issues

GaspodeXXXX
10.13.2013 , 02:05 PM | #1
Just to confirm other peoples posts - Have spent several hours today doing clean installs of Windows, SWTOR and Nvidia drivers.

Complete nightmare - resolution all over the place UI tiny and unusable.

I suggest Bioware does some serious testing on 8.1 ASAP as it goes mainstream on Thursday .

G.

Roalmo
10.13.2013 , 03:25 PM | #2
Interesting.

Been running Preview of 8.1 for 2 or so weeks.

Only problem was one of my wireless adapters, just had to update the driver today.

Other than that it runs like it did on Win7.

GaspodeXXXX
10.14.2013 , 07:55 AM | #3
Hmmm

I've Tried building on three different machines (all from clean - the only things on the machines is windows, the main board drivers, the graphics cards drivers and SWTOR). All have Nvidia graphics cards (64 bit) however.

1. Whats your graphics card (it could be the drivers) (are you 64 or 32 bit as well)
2. That could mean that one (of the many) things they have put in the RTM finals (i'm an MSDN developer which is why I have the final image) may have broken it.

If its 1 - then time to nag Nvidia, if its 2 then thats more worrying, although I know theres a day one fix going out on Thursday when the update goes live for all Windows 8 users.

G.

Stoofa
10.14.2013 , 08:14 AM | #4
I cannot confirm the same issue you're seeing.
I'm running Windows 8.1 (64bit) and I'm running an MSI GeForce GTX760 OC
Using the NVidia drivers - 327.23
Everything is running the same as it was under Windows 8 and Windows 7 before that.
This is a clean Windows 8.1 install, not an upgrade from the previous 8.

GaspodeXXXX
10.14.2013 , 09:44 AM | #5
Its an odd one - it seems to be related to the Nvidia drivers *I think* basically once id started up the game with the UI overlay teeny tiny in the top right - using my other half's machine as a guide I managed to do a resolution change that fixed the issue.

Basically the game kicked in in very low res with the UI really really small - literally what would have overlayed the whole screen normally was about 3 cm by 2 cm so was effectively working blind ...

Anyway it fixed it.

Really odd one ....

Glzmo
10.14.2013 , 10:50 AM | #6
Now I'm not using the atrocity that is Windows 8/8, but here are some things you may wish to try:

I. Here are some step-by-step instructions to set your resolution manually before starting the game, hopefully it will help:

1. Make sure the game is not running.
2. Copy %LocalAppData%\SWTOR\swtor\settings and paste it into your Windows Explorer's address bar (i hope Windows 8.x still allows you to do that).
3. Open the file client_settings.ini with your favorite text editor (if the file doesn't exist, please create one manually and add the entries in step 4 yourself).
4. Make the following changes/additions to your client_settings.ini file and save them (the example is for the resolution of 1920x1080 aka Full HD/1080p. Replace 1920 with your monitor's native resolution width and 1080 with your native resolution's height respectively if that isn't your native resolution or it won't work):
Code:
[Renderer]
Height = 1080
NativeHeight = 1080
NativeWidth = 1920
Width = 1920
WindowX = 0
WindowY = 0
FullScreen = true
D3DFullScreen = true
I hope this will help.

II. In addition, make sure to download and install the latest Windows 8.1 compatible video card driver for your video card from nvidia.com (or amd.com if for those that have a Radeon video card). Do not use the one that's automatically installed by Windows or supplied by Windows Update as these tend to be stripped down versions of drivers that can create problems with games.

doorslam
10.23.2013 , 07:12 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Glzmo View Post

Code:
[Renderer]
Height = 1080
NativeHeight = 1080
NativeWidth = 1920
Width = 1920
WindowX = 0
WindowY = 0
FullScreen = true
D3DFullScreen = true
I hope this will help.
Thanks, this corrected the issue for me.

magecutter
10.23.2013 , 08:20 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by GaspodeXXXX View Post
Hmmm

I've Tried building on three different machines (all from clean - the only things on the machines is windows, the main board drivers, the graphics cards drivers and SWTOR). All have Nvidia graphics cards (64 bit) however.

1. Whats your graphics card (it could be the drivers) (are you 64 or 32 bit as well)
2. That could mean that one (of the many) things they have put in the RTM finals (i'm an MSDN developer which is why I have the final image) may have broken it.

If its 1 - then time to nag Nvidia, if its 2 then thats more worrying, although I know theres a day one fix going out on Thursday when the update goes live for all Windows 8 users.

G.
Windows 8.1 and Nvidia Drivers - from PCWorld, about mid page.

I'm using an MSI gaming laptop and was not happy to read that high end laptops are having issues with win 8.1.
the article mentions SteelSeries brand peripherals have major problems with 8.1.
my question is... my laptop uses the SteelSeries keyboard, what are the chances that there will be comparability issues between the OS and this keyboard? (will research this on my own of course).

the MSI site for my rig has plenty of driver updates for 8.1 but none for the keyboard that I saw.

just a thought... if the biggest software company in the world can't release an OS update without bugs maybe cutting the dev's of swtor a little slack wouldn't be out of line... just a thought. -

skeletonchild
12.01.2013 , 02:03 PM | #9
Now I'm not using the atrocity that is Windows 8/8, but here are some things you may wish to try:

I. Here are some step-by-step instructions to set your resolution manually before starting the game, hopefully it will help:

2. Copy %LocalAppData%\SWTOR\swtor\settings and paste it into your Windows Explorer's address bar (i hope Windows 8.x still allows you to do that).
3. Open the file client_settings.ini with your favorite text editor (if the file doesn't exist, please create one manually and add the entries in step 4 yourself).
4. Make the following changes/additions to your client_settings.ini file and save them (the example is for the resolution of 1920x1080 aka Full HD/1080p. Replace 1920 with your monitor's native resolution width and 1080 with your native resolution's height respectively if that isn't your native resolution or it won't work):
Code:
[Renderer]
Height = 1080
NativeHeight = 1080
NativeWidth = 1920
Width = 1920
WindowX = 0
WindowY = 0
FullScreen = true
D3DFullScreen = true
I hope this will help.

II. In addition, make sure to download and install the latest Windows 8.1 compatible video card driver for your video card from nvidia.com (or amd.com if for those that have a Radeon video card). Do not use the one that's automatically installed by Windows or supplied by Windows Update as these tend to be stripped down versions of drivers that can create problems with games.
Thanx a Ton Glzmo! This is an easily read and understood set of directions. I really struggled comprehending this fix till here. Also, this not only helped with SWtOR, it allowed me to understand properly updating drivers and config. settings needed to tweek for windows 8.1 update reformat with several other programs. I guess it's like the movie, "The Fly". Two sets of information go in. One set of deformed, broken, non-functional stuff comes out?

archivistrudi
12.05.2013 , 08:28 PM | #10
Thank you, this helped in UI running on my monitor native resolution. Could I tweak these settings to run UI in let's say 1280x800 resolution when monitor is actually 1920x1200? Native monitor resolution is pretty slow for the game.

Code:
[Renderer]
Height = 1080
NativeHeight = 1080
NativeWidth = 1920
Width = 1920
WindowX = 0
WindowY = 0
FullScreen = true
D3DFullScreen = true
I hope this will help.