Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

2.X "The Crafting Patch" - What Do You Want To See?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
2.X "The Crafting Patch" - What Do You Want To See?

psandak
10.03.2013 , 03:56 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by JattaGin View Post
Come on, isn't that obvious? If you can craft companion gifts, you can choose what sort of gift you want to craft. If you send a companion to find a gift for you, chances are high you get a type of gift you don't need.
OK, I'll give you that much. But in all honesty, I would rather run three missions and only get one gift that I need right now, than run missions to gather materials to then craft into one specific gift type. Same kind of time frame. Why? Because those two gifts I do not need right now, will probably be needed eventually.

Alec_Fortescue
10.03.2013 , 05:51 PM | #12
Something that will let you make few millions a day with enough of time, investment and dedication. End-game crafting and fixing schem-stealing will do.

Larkie
10.04.2013 , 07:30 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Dallayna View Post
A STREAK BREAKER!!!!!!!

Seriously, they have it for combat but why not for crafting missions?

As things stand people can, and do run HUNDREDS of Rich/Bountiful missions only to get one success for things like Thermal Regulators, Mytags and Beryllius. That. Is. Insane.

Come on, 66 mods aren't even T2 anymore! Why don't they fix it already?!

No, sorry, nobody runs hundreds of Rich/Bountiful missions and only gets one crit. Hasn't. Ever. Happened.

dancezwithnubz
10.06.2013 , 07:59 PM | #14
i'm still a n00b at this whole lark, but I have come up with ONE major gripe about crafting.

it appears that crafted items aren't "best possible kit" and that even after capping out a crafting skill and the relevant mission skills to go with it that better gear is available from drops or from vendors.

imho: player crafted gear should be the best possible kit in all cases. They don't need to be huge, whopping amounts better, it may take a critical craft to do it, but they should ALWAYS have the possibility of outgunning anything else that's available.

otherwise, short of just saving a few creds levelling up alts, what's the point?

Dawginole
10.07.2013 , 03:50 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by dancezwithnubz View Post
i'm still a n00b at this whole lark, but I have come up with ONE major gripe about crafting.

it appears that crafted items aren't "best possible kit" and that even after capping out a crafting skill and the relevant mission skills to go with it that better gear is available from drops or from vendors.

imho: player crafted gear should be the best possible kit in all cases. They don't need to be huge, whopping amounts better, it may take a critical craft to do it, but they should ALWAYS have the possibility of outgunning anything else that's available.

otherwise, short of just saving a few creds levelling up alts, what's the point?
I don't think I've played an mmo where the crafted gear was always the best in slot (BiS). There may have been a piece here or there, but generally BiS gear has always been dropped from the hardest raids.

Now where I will agree with you is that with SWTOR, it has been there tradition where crafter gear has been like 1 tier down. Now to understand this you have to first understand that a "tier" in SWTOR is not just one level of gear.

So like when the game started, Tier 1 was Tion/Columi/Rakata. Each set got progressively better, but all three sets were considered a tier. Then Tier 2 was Black Hole/Campaign/Dread Guard. And Tier 3 should be Arkanian/Underworld/Kell Dragon.

So the thing about crafting is that crafters were always able to craft items just under the "tier". So for instance with the 2.0 Tier 3 we could craft 54's (68's).

And of course, we can also craft up to the highest gear in that tier through reverse engineering. So right now we can craft 72's, but not the 75's which are Kell Dragon.

So if you follow that trend, then the new gear (78's) that you can get from the new OP and from Ultimate Comms should be the first set of gear in Tier 4. Which means that since Kell Dragon is 75's we should have gotten schematics for something in the 76-77 range. I'm guessing that they did not do this because they want people working the raids in order to gear up enough to do the new OP instead of just buying crafted gear above 72's to go straight into the new raids.

Personally I think we have a new expansion headed our way that will include SSSP and a level cap increase to 60 along with a crafting cap increase to 500 for release around April. When that happens, I think that is when we will see the next two sets of gear come out to complete Tier 4, and then we will see the new schems for 76 or 77 level gear arrive with the crafting cap increase.

They definitely have a model, it just doesn't work out perfectly every time since they have to hold people back from gearing up to fast for the next patch. And the way this game works they aren't giving out end game schematics so that they force people into raid progression to extend play time. Though I do agree with you in a sense and think this game needs more super tough world bosses that are almost impossible to beat that they could put a few exclusive end game schems on. If they made it limited then they wouldn't have to worry about items flooding the market.
Soon.™*
*Soon.™: Bioware Corp, Inc. All rights reserved. "Soon.™" does not imply any particular date, time, decade, century, or millennia in the past, present, and certainly not the future. "Soon.™" shall make no contract or warranty between Bioware and the end user. "Soon.™" will arrive some day, however Bioware does guarantee that "Soon.™" will be here before the end of time. Maybe. Do not make plans based on "Soon™" as Bioware will not be liable for any misuse, use, or even casual glancing at "Soon.™". Thank you for your patience.

Sorripto
10.07.2013 , 07:57 AM | #16
I would like to be able to que gathering missions. Send my companion on five gathering missions in a row the way I can que them to craft five items.

Lowyjowylof
10.07.2013 , 12:00 PM | #17
I would like to see this:

1. Armorings moved to Armormech, enhancements moved to Synthweaving, and allow all crafters to make augmentation kits or those that don't make augments, make the kits. This would give all classes legitimacy in modification crafting.

2. This will generate some QQ but, Raid Tier item modifications should be schematics in Raids and the successful completion of the raids or weekly gives Comms towards the set bonuses. The higher the level the harder the Op. The schematics would be sellable on the GTN. You'd still have to raid for the set bonus, but all the other gear would be craftable.

This gives everyone who doesn't have the time for raids to have an opportunity to get the better gear. When ever the new tier comes out, the new tier 4 becomes schematics on a vendor for purchase. This is also when resource requirements would be adjusted as well. The exotic mats required for the schems would drop in Ops and be purchasable via commendations from raiding or FPs or received via reward for completing the weeklies. This also takes the RNG out of the equation when raiding for the set bonus pieces. and this route allows for people to be able to choose what set bonus they want for PvP or PvE with out gimping themselves in some way.

3. Increase the maximum amount of companions able to be sent out. We can have up to 8, there is no reason why 6 or 7 can't be used.

4. Allow us to optimize all of our companions to meet crafting needs . Like my Commando is Biochem, allow me to change 4X from scavenging/slicing to bioanalysis, diplomacy, or Biochem. OR allow me to swap companions around as a legacy perk on my level 55 characters.
Battle is an orgy of disorder.
George S. Patton

psandak
10.07.2013 , 02:05 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Lowyjowylof View Post
I would like to see this:

1. Armorings moved to Armormech, enhancements moved to Synthweaving, and allow all crafters to make augmentation kits or those that don't make augments, make the kits. This would give all classes legitimacy in modification crafting.

2. This will generate some QQ but, Raid Tier item modifications should be schematics in Raids and the successful completion of the raids or weekly gives Comms towards the set bonuses. The higher the level the harder the Op. The schematics would be sellable on the GTN. You'd still have to raid for the set bonus, but all the other gear would be craftable.

This gives everyone who doesn't have the time for raids to have an opportunity to get the better gear. When ever the new tier comes out, the new tier 4 becomes schematics on a vendor for purchase. This is also when resource requirements would be adjusted as well. The exotic mats required for the schems would drop in Ops and be purchasable via commendations from raiding or FPs or received via reward for completing the weeklies. This also takes the RNG out of the equation when raiding for the set bonus pieces. and this route allows for people to be able to choose what set bonus they want for PvP or PvE with out gimping themselves in some way.

3. Increase the maximum amount of companions able to be sent out. We can have up to 8, there is no reason why 6 or 7 can't be used.

4. Allow us to optimize all of our companions to meet crafting needs . Like my Commando is Biochem, allow me to change 4X from scavenging/slicing to bioanalysis, diplomacy, or Biochem. OR allow me to swap companions around as a legacy perk on my level 55 characters.
You and Spiceshark seem to be on the same page. Check out my responses to Spice's "wishlist":

summary:
1) If benovide is right (http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=686451), we as a population are way undervaluing crafted purple armor and weapons. Yes, at the level cap, item modifications dominate, but that does not mean that just below the cap (or even lower) cannot be extremely profitable to the armor and weapon crafting crew skills. Granted I am debating his assertions, but the crux of my argument is looks and planetary comms.

3) because the newest companions (HK and Treek) are optional, you put those who are unwilling and/or unable to acquire them at a disadvantage with regard to crew skills. Furthermore, more companions going out means higher supplies, which will almost definitely turn into lower value for all crew skill related items (materials and crafted goods). This is one of those instances where what's great for a single player is not necessarily great for the population as a whole.

4) might as well give all companions the same flat +crit/+eff bonus (similar to HK) as this would be FAR easier to implement (alter a few database entries versus integrating thousands of lines of new code).

Gloomycakes
10.07.2013 , 03:07 PM | #19
I'd personally would be a bit wary introducing the ability to queue up 5 gathering missions at the same time. Could ruin market prices that are currently running quite smoothly (server dependant ofcourse) I know most people look at it 'like this, I can make more money!' but forget that virutally everyone can send out companions non-stop without it hindering game-play, possibly leading to prices to drop to the cost it is to get them.

I'm also a bit concerned about making the companion bonusses less unique. Currently it makes sense having a certain crewskill on a certain class and make your toons work together for optimal results. It also gives a reason (a tiny bit) to scroll down and sent HK/Treek out. I like how Aric is a diplomat where-as Doc is good with Biochem, Jedi are good synthweavers, etc, it makes sense (to me) like that. Exceptions are: There's still no +5 Artifice critical available. Just introduce another droid-ship part (or maybe introduce more of these in general. Like this people have (possibly) Treek and HK with minor bonusses in everything, a droid with a chosen bonus, leaving 2 companions to make a certain class stand out as a certain crafter. (E.g. Troopers make amazing armourmechs, Smugglers Armstech etc due to the +5 critical.)

This is how-ever just my opinion and maybe I'm simply not adventurous enough.

Few things I'd also like to see returns/changed how-ever:
- Being able to craft the top-tier raiding gear, but ofcourse: No set-bonus and keep the materials rare. Prices of pre-2.0 crafting materials eventually became an absolute joke but I do think they had the right idea craftingwise.
  • It's a moneysink.
  • It's expensive so it's not an easy shortcut to full gear, more optimization purposes.
  • Schematics (once fixed) are mainly rewarded to those who deserve them in raids (initiative/adept enhancements, mitigation heavy tanking gear.)
- Having a 'requires XXX in crewskill' for everything, rather than just Biochem and Cybertech. Even if it's like before I played (so I might be misinformed) just a max tier belt/bracers.
  • Give people a reason to take other crewskills than Biochem (reuseable medpac, adrenals and stims) and PvP'ers Cybertech (grenades) for their mains.
- Some armourmech/synthweaving overhaul. Maybe introduce some orange gear schematics (for example Gree armour in Green, another variation of Czerka armour, BoE end-result, requires legend for schematic but none or lower to equip for marketing reasons.) similar to how dye schematics are rewarded. (I think mixing Artifice, Cybertech, Armourmech and Synthweaving would be a big slam in the face to those who abtained a lot of the schematics.) Or maybe a possibility (at high material cost) to make any skin legacy-bound, either by reversing (BoL end-result after crafting) or like an augment kit (though due to how for other legacy gear you pay a high price/farm reputation the price (to craft) needs to be a lot higher than augment kits, possibly requiring a rare material that would be available to both PvE and PvP'ers.)
  • Gives more reasons to have armourmech and synthweaving that just for the augments, bringing some equality to the crewskills.
  • Possibly one of the few options left without a new mechanic to take for Armourmech/Synthweaving.
  • More moneysinks (Devs want them.)
- Armstech atleast has barrels, but stills feels a bit mediocre. But due to decent (at most) augments and raid-tier barrels, it's ok I guess.
- Add the ability to make augment kits to all crewskills. I like the working together aspect in crafting, but I know people would love this change and I don't see big harm in it.
  • I think people should be able the use the materials they can aquire through their crafting-crewskills.
- Something around companion gifts, whether it's more like treasure hunting (components to trade) or a trade 3 for 2 of a different kind vendors. I lived by the thought eventually someone will have a use for them. Leading to tons of trophies, courting and some others with a permanent lack of Weapons (HK and loads of class-specific companions) Technology (Treek, some class specific companions) and Cultural artifact (Droid)
  • Brings some equality whilst buying your friendship!

But I don't know anything about game development so these ideas might be absolutely ridicilous.

PS: I love this thread OP!

Lustephelon
10.09.2013 , 11:22 PM | #20
My #1 QoL fix would be.. Fix the existing errors ie. implants with the wrong name/level and droid custom gear thats green.

#2: standardize.. more stuff should be balanced in mats to items, also the level skips for armoring/mod/enhancements at the vendors needs a better balance to the ones we can craft to help build better niche areas for crafters to fill in the blanks.

#3: no Bind on pickup. all crafting should be Legacy or BoE.