Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Raptus in SM.

Spentinell
10.01.2013 , 10:00 PM | #1
I was recently playing in a group 8m and whenever we got challenged the healers always failed the challenge even when they were doing good over all. I am curious if there's any advice for the healing challenge,

theBEARthatCARES
10.02.2013 , 12:10 AM | #2
Just finished Raptus a bit ago, he is not a very fun fight.
My partner healer (sage) and myself (scoundrel) had a fairly tough time keeping the NPC from dying, it was extremely close each time (around 3-5% health remaining)
I don't know if everyone was having the same amount of trouble with the fight, but its a really tight heal check it seems.

DarthZaul
10.02.2013 , 02:34 PM | #3
Our healers were also failing almost instantly for seemingly no reason but we still killed it.

chuixupu
10.03.2013 , 12:34 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthZaul View Post
Our healers were also failing almost instantly for seemingly no reason but we still killed it.
Same here. Dps side seemed stupidly simple.... Our healers are full 72/75/78 and no slouches, but they only manged to not fail once. Seemed like either there was information missing or it's overtuned for SM.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Herringaid
10.03.2013 , 03:35 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
Same here. Dps side seemed stupidly simple.... Our healers are full 72/75/78 and no slouches, but they only manged to not fail once. Seemed like either there was information missing or it's overtuned for SM.
Because dps is stupidly simple, the answer is to bring a 3rd healer to the challenge. Or 2 healers and an off-heals. It's a challenge and requires you to think outside the box and adapt.

chuixupu
10.03.2013 , 03:09 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Herringaid View Post
Because dps is stupidly simple, the answer is to bring a 3rd healer to the challenge. Or 2 healers and an off-heals. It's a challenge and requires you to think outside the box and adapt.
We did think about that, actually (we could still beat the encounter even with the healers failing, it wasn't a big deal), however that doesn't seem to be the idea answer. Not all groups may have an off-healer as a dps. I have a hard time believing that Bioware would design a storymode encounter with the idea that you need a dps that can heal go with the healers. Overgeared healers in a storymode operation should be more than sufficient.

Because otherwise, SM is definitely NOT a challenge.

CavDeuce
10.03.2013 , 08:53 PM | #7
I don't know, they've designed a similar encounter before. Remember when Firebrand and Stormcaller first came out in EC the most efficient strategy was to have a DPS who could taunt off to avoid the double destruction. Seems like designing bosses to take advantage of off specs would encourage bringing different classes instead of straight Mara/sent and sniper/slinger. Just my .02

chuixupu
10.04.2013 , 12:29 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by CavDeuce View Post
I don't know, they've designed a similar encounter before. Remember when Firebrand and Stormcaller first came out in EC the most efficient strategy was to have a DPS who could taunt off to avoid the double destruction. Seems like designing bosses to take advantage of off specs would encourage bringing different classes instead of straight Mara/sent and sniper/slinger. Just my .02
Yes, I remember that, however, we rarely had a dps that could taunt, and we never failed the encounter for not having one.
And that was was only really an issue in hard mode, not story mode.

Herringaid
10.04.2013 , 01:01 AM | #9
It boils down to a few choices (I know it won't be all inclusive):
  • Be creative and smart and have an off-healer
  • Try to heal through it with 2 healers and fail the challenge repeatedly
  • Try it with two healers and suceed ( crits, relics and cooldowns)

If we have someone who can off-heal on the team, I'm going with that option.

I 'd rather they not soften this up and fold. I mean look at what they did to Lost Island.

Iwipe
10.04.2013 , 01:16 AM | #10
Seems like to me that they forgot to tune down the DoT damage on the NPC for SM. On hardmode it wasn't too hard to keep the NPC alive so having storymode requiring a DPS to offheal seems really off. Same thing with the Guardian affliction DoT on storymode for Dread Fortress.

For those saying SM needs a challenge, remember that storymode is for those who just want to see the story. It is suppose to be PuG friendly. If you want a challenge do hardmode/nightmares.