Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Storms a brewin

mmjarec
08.30.2013 , 10:48 PM | #11
The could have the same abilities function differently in pvp and pve and would save the balance on both fronts

LordArtemis
08.30.2013 , 11:20 PM | #12
I doubt that PVP problems are going to sink this game. I have yet to see ANY game that has PVP as a part of a complete MMO tank due to bad PVP or PVP problems.

The PVP community is just not large enough, and this game is hardly a huge draw for PVP players IMO.

mmjarec
08.31.2013 , 01:54 AM | #13
Its not a pvp only problem its a bad way of calculating numbers and stats. The way the calculate base and modifiers like crit for example

wilcofan
08.31.2013 , 02:00 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by branmakmuffin View Post
This might be true if PvP were even remotely crucial to the game's continued viability.
Queue for a warzone and see how quickly 16 people get matched up into a game. Now queue for a SM Ops group and see how long you wait. PvP isn't crucuial? I think you are wrong sir...

jedip_enguin
08.31.2013 , 02:59 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by wilcofan View Post
Queue for a warzone and see how quickly 16 people get matched up into a game. Now queue for a SM Ops group and see how long you wait. PvP isn't crucuial? I think you are wrong sir...
PUG WZ's require no tactics, no arrangement, no specific class balance, no gear, dying is free and they can be run as many times a week as you can manage assuming you have a pass.

Even if you lose every time you are rewarded with comms and cash, and at most you are busy for 15 mins.

Ops require a specific balance of classes and specs, knowledge of the encounters, half decent gear, at least an hour of your time (even with a decent group) and if you manage to complete one you are locked out of it for the rest of the week (meaning most people dont run them as pugs)

If you fail, you get nothing but a repair bill.

Now, can you figure out why the wz queue might be quicker than the GF Ops queue?
Dat referral link - http://www.swtor.com/r/Sh6HPh

LordArtemis
08.31.2013 , 04:57 AM | #16
Well, now, there are going to be people that disagree, say that PVP is a majority or the game should be balanced around it...and I don't think that opinion means the person deserves disrespect. If one is a fan of a certain aspect of a game they will likely defend it...after all, what do they know of the game except what they love?

I do not agree with either sentiment. But I understand why they might have it. I just find it unrealistic.

hadoken
08.31.2013 , 06:30 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by wilcofan View Post
How about queue for pvp as a tank vs queue for an instance as a tank :P

Look I can point at two completely different things and say how they're comparable too!

Stradlin
08.31.2013 , 06:44 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by branmakmuffin View Post
This might be true if PvP were even remotely crucial to the game's continued viability.
More and more people have come to understand it very much is.

Lvling in TOR is a process with exceptionally low re-play value, when compared to WoW and co. Modest amount of zones(=planets) to pick from; trail you walk is always more or less the same. Questing as an experience is highly obsolete one;TBC era WoW had more fun and variety in terms of what you actually *do* when you are out there questing.

Lvling via WZs on the other hand, is surprisingly balanced and entertaining trip to make. This is one category where actual game mechanics of TOR shine brigter than any other WoW clone out there, WoW itself included. With all this in mind, it is exceptionally unsurprising how WZs keep getting more and more visibility in terms of what people in-game actually do and talk about.

hadoken
08.31.2013 , 06:49 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Stradlin View Post
More and more people have come to understand it very much is.

Lvling in TOR is a process with exceptionally low re-play value, when compared to WoW and co. Questing as an experience is highly obsolete one. This wouldn't matter if end game PvE was vibrant and captivating thing to get involved in.

Lvling via WZs on the other hand, is surprisingly balanced and entertaining trip to make. This is one category where actual game mechanics of TOR shine brigter than any other WoW clone out there, WoW itself included. With all this in mind, it is exceptionally unsurprising how WZs keep getting more and more visibility in terms of what people in-game actually do and talk about.
My experience is the complete opposite (can't stand leveling via warzones). No, in general the pvp community in MMOs is a vocal minority.

Stradlin
08.31.2013 , 07:04 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by hadoken View Post
My experience is the complete opposite (can't stand leveling via warzones). No, in general the pvp community in MMOs is a vocal minority.
Your subjective experience is as irrelevant as mine here.. Larger and larger % of people who not only try TOR but end up sticking around do more and more WZs** Everything else, in terms of game mechanics, has greener grass growing in some game or another. In lowbie WZ PVP, TOR shines. This one slice is more entertaining than it's counterpart in any other game. So it isn't surprising it is " trending upwards"

If it weren't, do you think we'd get suck content patches?

** Since I usually lvl via WZs, I've ended up doing /Whoing. Loads of it. I like to know how many games of my bracket are on, who is playing etc. Amount of games on at once has grown steadily for as long as I've paid attention to such things(Feb/March of this year and onwards)