Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Playing SWTOR

Jagemakage
08.22.2013 , 11:06 AM | #11
Doesn't anyone feel this is dishonest?

Jagemakage
08.22.2013 , 11:32 AM | #12
Ok, so I tried it, but the computer says I have to run such programs as an administrator, which I am not, so it did not, in fact, work, although from a pure installation standpoint, it would have been fine. I just don't have priviliges to run "alien" applications on a company computer.

NOTACTICS
08.22.2013 , 12:01 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Jagemakage View Post
Ok, so I tried it, but the computer says I have to run such programs as an administrator, which I am not, so it did not, in fact, work, although from a pure installation standpoint, it would have been fine. I just don't have priviliges to run "alien" applications on a company computer.
Yes that might be stumbling block at work as you often have to be admin to install stuff correctly and to run them. Also your works gateway firewall may block such activity anyway. I would be very careful running a game on works computer check company policy, people have been sacked over such things, safer to do when not connected online to your works network on a Laptop.

Anamurra
08.22.2013 , 12:15 PM | #14
With the way a lot of companies lock down their users PCs, if you don't have admin access to your PC then you won't be able to install anything on your PC. That's to cut down on the crap that people tend to install knowingly (or unknowingly) on their PCs and the time IT has to spend trying the clean up your PC or they just re-image it.

There are also companies (like the one that I work for) who put encryption software on your work PCs so if you tried to connect a thumb drive or external drive, it'll encrypt and password protect it. If you choose not to allow that to happen then the external drive or thumb drive is readonly.

NOTACTICS
08.22.2013 , 12:25 PM | #15
To add even if you did mange to install and run the game , your works network administrators will be keen to find why your Desktop work PC is taking half the available network bandwith, you will get found out.: It ofcourse depends where your work and what their misuse of company PC's policy entails, but I would say better go on side of caution and don't take the risk.

mike_is_valid
08.22.2013 , 08:36 PM | #16
Yep Admin right may be required to run the app and you are of luck then. I run the game from a comp where TOR is NOT installed, i just start from the external HD. TOR does only require a very small amount of bandwith so it should fly under the radar in this aspect, other monitoring software may detect it however. Ports may be closed so you can not get to the servers. All depends on the setup in your network, which we don't know of course.

Jagemakage
08.23.2013 , 06:09 AM | #17
Well, even when I installed the game to my flash drive and just tried to run it from there the computer does not let any applications it is unfamiliar with run without admin access. The firewall would have been no problem, neither would the bandwidth. I have an anonymous IP thanks to good connections with the IT guy, so my internet is untrackable.

But, without those Admin privileges, I was screwed, and couldn't access the internet via my laptop either. Sigh... No SWTOR at work for my last two days.