Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Leveling with a partner? Good, Bad or Doesn't matter?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Leveling with a partner? Good, Bad or Doesn't matter?

AlixMV
07.26.2013 , 04:17 PM | #11
I've played a ton of characters through to max level in a group, so I definitely see the upside to it.

But, to be fair, there is one downside: as you noted, things seem pretty easy when you're leveling in a group. What I found is that playing in a group also plasters over flaws in your playstyle. Soloing characters is more challenging and in a lot of cases forces you to really learn your class to get through some of the tougher content.

I didn't really start understanding the importance of interrupts until I soloed my first character to the end of Chapter 1, and when I started doing endgame content with my first level 50 (a Guardian tank that duoed with a friend), I discovered I didn't understand half my powers properly. Etc.
~ Jedi Covenant ~
Sollyni ~ Brixyl / Serateh ~ Ydris

Gloomycakes
07.27.2013 , 01:15 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by JediCounsular View Post
Not true. Some content, especially when grouped in instanced areas, can have more mobs than someone running solo through the same instanced area. At higher levels, this becomes more prevalent, as the instances go up in difficulty according to the group size.
If you read my post properly you can see I'm not promoting to level alone and I say 'some' content, considering I responded to the OP meaning his mentioned: Planets, quest, classquests... Making my statement very much true.

I could have been more eleborate; it's a fact that this game does not scale up in difficulty if you team up. It depends on area, not on numbers. (It's very clear from the OPs post that they don't play to solely do Heroics, Flashpoints or PvP.) As result a lot of content you're doing as a team was intended to be done by a single player (and their companion.) Meaning you often won't get challanged and for many people this results in not learning certain things they had to learn if they were alone. Some of this includes interrupts, target priority, defensive cooldowns, CC, how to properly gear yourself and your companion and a proper rotation, basicly all the things the poster above me has mentioned. I, for one, absolutely adore leveling with friends, but I notice some are completely incapable of learning their class this way. For a few weeks some didn't even dare to do any end-game content without me because they encountered a lot of flaming for being extremely inexperienced. Such insecurity was horrible to see. And some others simply found the game horrificly boring due to it being so easy, luckily got a chance to prove them wrong with Lost Island and Nightmare EC before they quit the game.

As conclusion I'd like to highly recommend doing Flashpoints or PvP, depending where your interest lies. Generally a team is quick and very capable, but try and queue the second a new one opens up. Sometimes it can be a real challange. It will learn you how to prioritize targets, use CC and in case of an inexperienced tank, your defensive cooldowns and how threat works. Loads of people leveling alts can often also give nice tips and tricks on the classes you play. If you are not willing to team up with strangers, do Flashpoints when they are around your level, can be fun and are more than doable. The daily and weeklies make it a nice source of experience aswell.

hadoken
07.27.2013 , 05:25 AM | #13
The real in game character progression benefit to levelling with other people is getting social xp and raising that bar. It doesn't make a difference as far as player power goes but does give you a few more options for customization (adaptive armor, mounts). You cannot raise that at all playing solo (minor exception, flashpoints but insignificant gains).

Sarielle
07.27.2013 , 08:00 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Gloomycakes View Post
it's a fact that this game does not scale up in difficulty if you team up.
Actually, story instances will spawn more enemies if you have three plus players in a group, but not with just two.
Sarie : Self-righteous Seer
| Jung Ma |

Eugee
07.28.2013 , 09:43 PM | #15
Having leveled my Trooper with another Trooper, we did not find it boring at all--plus it was faster to run our class instance twice than to travel to another one. The second one was SOOO fast, as we'd already seen any surprises and just streamrolled even faster than usual. Then if we were going to make a different choice than the first guy, we'd mention it over VOIP so we'd stop Spacebarring to see it.

BadOrb
07.29.2013 , 06:33 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Sarielle View Post
Actually, story instances will spawn more enemies if you have three plus players in a group, but not with just two.
Plus some of those enemies spawn from the ground ( appear out of thin air ) and are elite mobs. i have played the game all the way through a few times in parties of 3 and my word some missions become extremely tough to say the least.

Cheers,

BadOrb.
'Ah you think micro transactions are your ally ? The DLC betrays you because it belongs to me , when your home world is monetized , you have my permission to buy'.
"Oh goody. Lord Douchebag McFuzzlebunny can now be related to me if he see's my legacy name and decides he likes it." quote from Selvec 09/06/12

CounterSnipe
07.29.2013 , 01:01 PM | #17
Awesome posts everyone!! Thanks for the feedback. Sorry I haven't been active on a thread I created in the first place!

She's a Guardian and I'm a Sage, so it works out really well and after doing the bonus quests we find the next planet to be even easier for us to level and do all of our quests together. I agree that staying the same level is important (Plus this keeps her happy, for if I didn't . . . -Force choke-)

I usually use the time she can't play to level my alt or improve upon my crafting skills. Since we are both rather new we're trying to see how it works out with just the two of us. We've dabbled a bit on joining a guild but most of the time we feel that we should just level up to 55 to see where we feel like then join up with a friendly social guild. She's having a difficult time as she's never played an MMO before and is taking on the tanking job. As where I have a little WoW experience and know generally how the games work. It's fun having us together and I definitely recommend any couple to try and get together on the game as it gives us a chance to connect and have fun all while not going out and spending money on other such entertainment!

Sarielle
07.29.2013 , 08:34 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by CounterSnipe View Post
She's a Guardian and I'm a Sage, so it works out really well and after doing the bonus quests we find the next planet to be even easier for us to level and do all of our quests together. I agree that staying the same level is important (Plus this keeps her happy, for if I didn't . . . -Force choke-)
Husband and I did the same thing, except I am the sage and he is the guardian. He got in trouble for doing the Gree event weekly without me this week. That duo should work really well for you guys -- they complement each other very well while leveling, plus it just makes sense for a pair of Jedi to run around together.
Sarie : Self-righteous Seer
| Jung Ma |

CounterSnipe
07.30.2013 , 06:12 AM | #19
Ha! Awesome. Yeah I think it's great how the game recognizes that you are within a group of players and the conversations proceed accordingly.

Thanks for the tips everyone!