Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is PVP'ing a "good" way to level up?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Is PVP'ing a "good" way to level up?

ZirusZero
07.24.2013 , 05:57 PM | #11
I have leveled very fast exclusively with my scoundrel, and already way overleveled for Taris.
Quote: Originally Posted by CommunityDroidEN View Post
After our Shenanigans radar sounded off, we quickly hurried to this thread to see what was going on. Upon inspection of the reported Shenanigans, we have removed a few posts to prevent further Shenanigans from taking place.

Avicii
07.25.2013 , 11:26 AM | #12
With double xp weekends and the boosts WZ leveling was good but when you get higher levels it takes a lot of WZs to get a level in the 50s. I would say its slower accounting for time in queue and such. Now if you PvE and PvP, class quests and FPs while keeping your valor maxed that is probably the quickest way while PvPing. But standing on the fleet and queueing it is slower there cant be much doubt about that.

Dacce
07.25.2013 , 06:36 PM | #13
doing missions will always be faster levelling that PVP. because you are getting XP all the time, with every kill. PVP only gives you XP once every 15 mins (roughly) and whenever you turn in quests (8 per week).

Its definitely worthwhile completing your daily and weekly pvp quests, but wouldn't call pvp levelling "fast" by any means at all
Visage - Dace - Fat'Clam - Fistula - Shimini - Malikada

Vepyr
07.26.2013 , 01:06 PM | #14
At lower levels (under 25) just WZ queue chaining will level you faster than questing. 25-35 they kind of start to balance out. 35+ PvE starts to bring in the exp faster than PvP queues. Your mileage may vary. Personally I can't quest grind anymore on my alts. It's just tedious to me. I do the class storyline, maybe a few quest lines per planet, and then move on. I will just find a place to grind mobs over and over instead of questing if I want to level but am not in a WZ mood.

Nerdcommando
07.26.2013 , 05:47 PM | #15
Its the only way to level up
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy. - Steven Wright

TheHarvester
07.29.2013 , 05:56 AM | #16
PvP is hands down THE best way to learn the ins and outs of your class. I never PvP'd on my Sentinel when I leveled him and I cannot for the life of me play him as well as I should in PvP. I plan to level a Mara through PvP to learn. All my other classes: Class Quests + PvP. Its easier to adjust to a PvE setting from PvP than vice versa, IMO.
Jedi Covenant

Sorripto
09.04.2013 , 07:50 PM | #17
I have all the legacy exp perks (WZs, Flashpoints, Class quests etc...) and keep a constant overall (+25%) exp item active. Combine that with the 10% from a guild and you are set on bonuses. With those bonuses I just stay qued for pvp while doing only class mission quests and main planetary story line. I find I level much faster and am usually a good 4 levels or so above the quests I am doing. So to answer your question a good mix of pvp is fine for leveling.

Lecaja
09.05.2013 , 04:08 PM | #18
Bad, bad idea. Experience in PVP adjusts to your level and you will level up fast no question about it. The problem is that the class and planet level quests are fixed and if you are seven levels over the fixed level you get no experience points from battles and seven experience points from all other quests. I know it sounds like fun being overleved for your class and planet missions but take it from me it gets very old very quick and worse you still have to do the quests. Plus it will delay getting all of your companions so even though you will be able to deploy more crew members as you level them up in crafting you won't actually have those crew members in your roster.

Don't get me wrong I love PVP but I limit myself to the dailes and the weekly so I can try to stay within the seven level cap for my class.

:Update: I also do flashpoints so that contributes to my having trouble staying within the 7 level cap so my experience might not be equal to yours.

DaveMcKnight
09.07.2013 , 11:10 PM | #19
PVP is good for some things. Leveling fast, with just PVP and class quests, is not one of them. However, the slow leveling is balanced out, IMO, by the credits you get for each match. Most of the time, I'm level 11 by the time I'm on the fleet, and even if I spend most of my time for the first several matches playing guard or dying a whole lot, I get anywhere between 500 to 1000 credits per match. Once you get up to like Level 15 or 16, its been a rare match (for me at least) where you're not getting at least 2000 credits.

PVP is not for a fast leveler. But it gives you a lot of practice with practicing with your key bindings and what powers work best and what rotation. When I first began the game with a Jedi character, I went through 3 or 4 and got frustrated because Kira's "brother" kept kicking my *** or I would just barely beat him. Now, after PVPing a lot, when I come to that type of character, its rare that I even have to let myself die and bring in T7.

So if you're looking for a lot of creds and practice with a team, along with getting a crash course in using your keybound powers and what rotation is best, than yes, PVP is a "good" way to level up. But if you're looking for power-leveling, then do what others have suggested. Do your regular PVE content and the Dailies.

MichealR
09.08.2013 , 12:01 PM | #20
No pvp is not a "good way" to level up. At most winning a warzone which can take up to 30-40 minutes with the wait in que and the actual wz itself AT MOST rewards xp equal to one normal quest with about half the creds and no gear. Grinding questlines on planets is by far the quickest way....spend 2-3 hours on a planet and overlevel the planet. I have a 55 mar 55 shadow 55 slinger and working on a 55 sorc atm. I've been through the fire leveling and trust me it is much easier and faster to level through pve. I do admit pvping occasionally and doing the occasional FP is a way to break the boringness of leveling, however quest quest quest. They're much faster and usually all are right next to storylines if not right along side them. Do your quests enjoy your story leave pvp for endgame.