Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Game crashing computer system

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Game crashing computer system

Darth_Krull
07.24.2013 , 05:57 PM | #1
My game is constantly locking up my system to the point of having to do a hard shutdown and unplugging the power cord to restart it. Been doing this since the update 2 days ago. Here is a dxdiag file for any more info you may need. any help will be appreciated.

Spoiler
Veni! Vidi! Vici!

Darth_Krull
07.24.2013 , 09:25 PM | #2
So I can safely assume no one has an idea?
Veni! Vidi! Vici!

Bilirubin
07.24.2013 , 09:36 PM | #3
same or similar problem. Launch the game and it throws a "not optimal resolution error" onto my monitor and I go to black. I am currently only able to boot to safe mode because normal boots now throw the same error.
Cyannin Level 55 Shadow | Rubinin Level 50 Gunslinger | Mikuri Level 55 Sentinel | Vertatin Level 47 Commando | PURgE
Scartina Level 17 Marauder
The Bastion

morfius
07.25.2013 , 01:17 AM | #4
First one, check your temperatures, hard shutdown means overheating in most cases.
Second, what resolutions you monitor support?
Easy way to reset game resolution is to delete client_settings.ini
It is located in user profile so may need to change properties of folders to show system & hidden files.
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\settings
Username - is your logon/user name.
"The Aing-Tii have a different view of the Force. Not in terms of Jedi or Dark Jedi—of black and white, as it were—but in a way I like to think of as a full-color rainbow."

Bilirubin
07.25.2013 , 11:27 AM | #5
thanks for the input. The problem is not heat related. Although the card does run on the hotter side due to the stupid mini tower configuration, I have successfully played TOR and WoW with it for the past year. The first time the error occurred was when the game was launching after downloading the most recent updates--it had not been running in OpenGL up to that point. It also does it on a cold start now.

The only fix has been to remove my GF 430FX, plug into the onboard card (GF 7100), at which point the only options available to me are standard VGA and default monitor. I then update drivers and on reboot the system recovers all resolution options and monitor, and goes to the native 1600x900 resolution. I can then reinstall the 430 and things work, but should I launch the game, with either card (it runs on the 7100 but not well), I get the same error once again, rendering the entire system unusable.

Something about the update is corrupting my video driver files in such a way that a wide screen monitor (I have tried multiple so its not the monitor or cable) throws up an input not recognized error on my system.

I'll be unsubbing obviously until this is fixed because there is no point paying for something currently unsuable.
Cyannin Level 55 Shadow | Rubinin Level 50 Gunslinger | Mikuri Level 55 Sentinel | Vertatin Level 47 Commando | PURgE
Scartina Level 17 Marauder
The Bastion

Yolky
07.25.2013 , 06:30 PM | #6
I too have a similar problem. I load in any character (character select screen displays floating heads of characters but nothing else) and I just have the UI and a black screen. I have to End Task before it gets bad to the point of a hard shutdown. Tried the repair tool but it stops at a certain point and the launcher crashes. Downloaded a new launcher, no luck. chkdsk, & memtest show fine. Defragged my drives (which were only 1% fragmented) , already had up to date video card drivers...

I'm at a loss to how to fix this so any help / suggestions would be appreciated!

Spoiler

OwenBrooks
07.25.2013 , 11:38 PM | #7
Yolky

Just to mention your C drive is full - Free Space: 3.8 GB <-- will likely affect performance

This is the latest WHQL driver for your system - http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/63462 <--newer then you have

Delete the file called retailclient_swtor.version and the file called DiskCacheArena

OwenBrooks
07.25.2013 , 11:42 PM | #8
Darth_Krull

Even though you are running 320.49 drivers they are the beta ones

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/63459 < -- WHQL driver

morfius
07.26.2013 , 05:18 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Bilirubin View Post
thanks for the input. The problem is not heat related. Although the card does run on the hotter side due to the stupid mini tower configuration, I have successfully played TOR and WoW with it for the past year. The first time the error occurred was when the game was launching after downloading the most recent updates--it had not been running in OpenGL up to that point. It also does it on a cold start now.

The only fix has been to remove my GF 430FX, plug into the onboard card (GF 7100), at which point the only options available to me are standard VGA and default monitor. I then update drivers and on reboot the system recovers all resolution options and monitor, and goes to the native 1600x900 resolution. I can then reinstall the 430 and things work, but should I launch the game, with either card (it runs on the 7100 but not well), I get the same error once again, rendering the entire system unusable.

Something about the update is corrupting my video driver files in such a way that a wide screen monitor (I have tried multiple so its not the monitor or cable) throws up an input not recognized error on my system.

I'll be unsubbing obviously until this is fixed because there is no point paying for something currently unsuable.
Heat note was for tread starter.
Your issue is that game is forced to start on resolution that is not allowed by your monitor.
Remove file I mentioned... or just edit columns in it to be:
NativeHeight = 900
NativeWidth = 1600
"The Aing-Tii have a different view of the Force. Not in terms of Jedi or Dark Jedi—of black and white, as it were—but in a way I like to think of as a full-color rainbow."

OwenBrooks
07.26.2013 , 05:32 AM | #10
Hi Morfius,

Think Bilirubin already looked at that - http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...07#post6593007

And I agree it is the EDID is also my belief