Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Doomed Sith Empire

Euphrosyne
07.13.2013 , 12:48 AM | #101
Quote: Originally Posted by StarSquirrel View Post
lol, 1 simple resource is what helped save/build (or could have saved) empires time and again in real life...

Horses (made the Huns, the Magyars, and the Mongols the forces they where)
Bronze (saved Greece from Persia)
Gunpower (France won Hundred Years War Finally)
Winter weather (Saved Russia twice)*
Oil (from China made Japan the force it was in WW2)
A-bomb (could have saved Germany)

so really, it isn't that far-fetched. I shouldn't have to justify this stuff though, it is just a game... Also, if you don't like the EU then go back and re-watch the same old movies alone on your couch for hours on end and let us enjoy the rest of this expansive franchise in peace.

*yeah I get this might not be a resources but I was making the "1 factor can change history" point here...
ahahaha what

Here's a rebuttal to this resources thing.
Spoiler

None of this is to say that "one factor" doesn't change history all the time. It can, of course. For instance, a lot of very good historians would argue that one man getting sick destroyed the Western Roman Empire. Others would say that it was unseasonable winds. In either case, things could very well have gone the other way, quite easily.

But the Roman Empire was an unimaginably vast and powerful state that was destroyed largely by accident. It basically collapsed because it suffered from one of the worst runs of luck in world history, and even then, the collapse is qualifiable in many ways. (See pretty much everything that has come out on late Roman and post-Roman history since the 1970s, unless it was written by somebody from Oxbridge; Chris Wickham, Guy Halsall, Walter Goffart, Michael Kulikowski, etc. are all excellent.) It doesn't bear comparison to the Sith Empire. SWTOR's Empire is relatively small (compared to the Republic), commands much less industrial and scientific potential, has a much smaller population, and has been bedeviled by the kind of internal conflicts that belong in the Wars of the Roses or The Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

Never in human history has a state in such dire straits managed to save itself in war with the development of a single secret weapon or the exploitation of a single resource. It simply hasn't happened. There have been plenty of states that have been in situations just as dire as that of the Sith Empire between the beginning of Chapter 3 and the end of Chapter 4. States like Nazi Germany, Imperial Japan, the Confederate States, and Napoleonic France. You know what else those states have in common, other than being morally despicable? There are a lot of eminent historians who argue that they were doomed to lose their wars. (Respectively: Ian Kershaw, Michael Burleigh, and Richard Evans; Edward Drea and Hans van de Ven; James McPherson; Paul Schroeder.)

That doesn't mean it won't happen in SWTOR. The Empire might very well win this war; it wouldn't surprise me if it did. Because the writers will write what the writers want to write, and to hell with the logic or consequences; they've done it before. But as I've argued in this thread ad nauseam, if you think that the writers will do this, your argument doesn't rest on historical grounds. It's based on sentiment: you think that the Empire will win because you want the Empire to win.
Euphrosynē (n., Greek) - "mirth, merriment"
Fanfic: Beyond Good and Evil

StarSquirrel
07.13.2013 , 06:50 PM | #102
eh, forget it... won't even bother. dude, I accept your depth of historical knowledge on such a variety of topics is superior to my own. Thank you for preventing my own lack of knowledge from confusing the 5 or 6 people like me who read your entire post.
"Being abandoned to my enemies, abandoned by one for whom I once had considerable affection and respect, was like being murdered…and surviving."
-Darth Caedus

Path-x
07.15.2013 , 12:32 PM | #103
Empire has everything better looking (uniforms, ships, etc.) and Sith are way cooler than the Jedi. So it is only fair that Republic/Jedi has at least this one thing (they win at the end). Otherwise who would even want to be Republic/Jedi.
Jedi: You won the day, Sith. So, kill me if you must.
Warrior: I must.

Jetreaperz
07.16.2013 , 12:31 PM | #104
hope the game enters an alternate dimension or something. its the thing the writers can do because story content is so hard to create in which the ending is fixed (defeat)

BradTheImpaler
07.17.2013 , 12:37 PM | #105
Quote: Originally Posted by Jetreaperz View Post
hope the game enters an alternate dimension or something. its the thing the writers can do because story content is so hard to create in which the ending is fixed (defeat)
No need for that. The ending isn't "fixed" in terms of the span of the game's timeline. There's a huge amount of time for both sides to have periods of coming out on top, and for another "Republic Dark Age".

If it is a defeat, it's a loooooooooooooong way away yet. No need to veer off into different dimensions.
In the Imperial Army, it takes more courage to retreat than to advance.