Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

[QUESTION] Saber Reflect

AdamChattaway's Avatar


AdamChattaway
06.27.2013 , 09:27 AM | #1
I just watched a video showing off all the class new ability's, and saber reflect lasted 24 seconds in this video, in game it says lasts 3 seconds and an extra 2? with tank spec, am i missing something? did the ability get super nerfed or something?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQhoi...layer_embedded

1 min 50 seconds see?
Jedi Guardian
Alignment: Light Side
Server: The Red Eclipse

Altheran's Avatar


Altheran
06.27.2013 , 10:11 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by AdamChattaway View Post
I just watched a video showing off all the class new ability's, and saber reflect lasted 24 seconds in this video, in game it says lasts 3 seconds and an extra 2? with tank spec, am i missing something? did the ability get super nerfed or something?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQhoi...layer_embedded

1 min 50 seconds see?
In the video, he just pulled a pack of NPC while being way above their level. Obviously all the hits he received got defended. That's what you see. In addition, when the guy did his video defended hits were not reflected, which they changed after, so in reality the video showed really nothing for saber reflect.

grallmate's Avatar


grallmate
06.27.2013 , 05:58 PM | #3
Defended/Resisted/Miss hits are still not reflected but the animation will play for every hit you receive while Saber Reflect is active, even for melee hits and miss/defend/resisted attacks.
The Kae-Sare Legacy - The Harbinger
<Vindication> <Retribution>

Gralleh Grall'eh Khyar
Gralleh's Guide to Guardian Tanking [UPDATED for 2.0]

Altheran's Avatar


Altheran
06.28.2013 , 02:22 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by grallmate View Post
Defended/Resisted/Miss hits are still not reflected but the animation will play for every hit you receive while Saber Reflect is active, even for melee hits and miss/defend/resisted attacks.
Really ? I thought they reckonized that it was problematic and said that Reflect would act before any defense roll...

Zunayson's Avatar


Zunayson
06.28.2013 , 10:37 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Altheran View Post
Really ? I thought they reckonized that it was problematic and said that Reflect would act before any defense roll...
Nope that was not at all fixed. That is, if it were supposedly a problem in the first place. I see it problematic as if you're in saber ward but if its RNG I don't see too huge of a problem with it. I say let it go before defense roll honestly.
Quote: Originally Posted by Uber_the_Goober View Post
Bioware couldn't balance a sheet of plywood if it were laying [sic] on the ground.
Quote: Originally Posted by Aragost View Post
Make sure you take 3/3 in the "knowing how to play" box

grallmate's Avatar


grallmate
06.28.2013 , 11:41 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Zunayson View Post
Nope that was not at all fixed. That is, if it were supposedly a problem in the first place. I see it problematic as if you're in saber ward but if its RNG I don't see too huge of a problem with it. I say let it go before defense roll honestly.
It depends how you look at Saber Reflect. Personally I view it as a defensive CD so as long as I avoid the damage I'm happy, if its reflected back at them: that's a bonus. If you view it as an offensive CD where the goal is to return damage to the attacker first and the avoid the damage second then there is arguably an issue.
The Kae-Sare Legacy - The Harbinger
<Vindication> <Retribution>

Gralleh Grall'eh Khyar
Gralleh's Guide to Guardian Tanking [UPDATED for 2.0]

Siorac's Avatar


Siorac
06.29.2013 , 02:03 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by grallmate View Post
It depends how you look at Saber Reflect. Personally I view it as a defensive CD so as long as I avoid the damage I'm happy, if its reflected back at them: that's a bonus. If you view it as an offensive CD where the goal is to return damage to the attacker first and the avoid the damage second then there is arguably an issue.
For a tank in PvE it's a tool for generating threat, too. In that sense it's an issue.

grallmate's Avatar


grallmate
06.29.2013 , 03:29 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Siorac View Post
For a tank in PvE it's a tool for generating threat, too. In that sense it's an issue.
Actually, failing to reflect 1 or 2 abilities per activation isn't an issue when you realise that simply *ACTIVATING* the ability generates over 8k threat on everything within 30m. Add into that, threat built from a reflected ability is equal to the BASE damage for the ability (not the reflected damage) modified by Soresu form. Reflecting Scream from the TFB builds almost 40k threat despite only reflecting ~4800 damage. As a threat tool, Saber Reflect is honestly OP. There are literally pulls in this game where I leap in, hit Saber Reflect and just go AFK.
The Kae-Sare Legacy - The Harbinger
<Vindication> <Retribution>

Gralleh Grall'eh Khyar
Gralleh's Guide to Guardian Tanking [UPDATED for 2.0]

JZeuss's Avatar


JZeuss
07.02.2013 , 10:50 AM | #9
Some what off topic but i was trying to figure out how you can calculate an ability's (especially reflect) threat generation. Is it only possible on PTS?
______________________________
Juann 55 Vanguard
Imatrotter 53 Guardian
Assuko 45 Assassin

Snarkasms's Avatar


Snarkasms
07.05.2013 , 05:44 AM | #10
Look at your combat logs. I don't know if they're in the base logs, but I use TorParse (along with the majority of the SWTOR players, I imagine), and if you look at the actual combat logs, it'll tell you things like "<X ability> hits <enemy> for <damage_value> damage, generating <threat_value> threat!" It will also tell you that certain abilities just generate threat, such as the shadow's and vanguard's pulls, which are a static amount of threat without any damage at all. Same as taunt!

Generally speaking, damage is equal to threat unless you're in a tank stance, in which case threat = 2x damage. If you use a "high-threat" ability - saber reflect as a tank, guardian slash, hilt strike, etc. - that's bumped to 2.5x damage, if I recall correctly.