Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Complete newbie

EvoTheGrim
06.17.2013 , 05:53 AM | #1
Hi guys, I've only recently gotten into PC gaming and TOR is my first ever MMORPG so forgive me if what i'm asking sounds a tad ridiculous.

I'm doing alright at the moment so far only had trouble with The Blood Legacy quest but did it after a while, i'm playing a Sith Marauder and was wandering if the are some pro tips for playing this class, as when i tried asking for help in the game chat all i got was people calling me a noob or L2P, i'm not asking for anyone to join up and play it for me, I just want to get the most out of this class really.

So, um yeah. Thanks.

JPryde
06.17.2013 , 06:18 AM | #2
First of all, welcome to the world of MMOs and good choice to start with SWTOR.

Second, you should ignore everyone, who ever tells you to "L2P". Seriously, nothing good will ever come from that side anyway. People who do say "L2P" other than as a joke, are usually self entitled idiots, who never learned to play, but rather copy the playstyle suggested by some website.

How to get to know your char...
Read about every skill you got. Play around with the skill points. Plan ahead of where you are putting all of them in the end, to avoid wasting them in unneeded skills. Look out for synergy effects... Many times, executing one skill will have a significant boosting effect on other skills.
Learn to use your skills in a rotation... some skills are always better used after other skills.. some are depending on the number of enemies... some depend on your positioning.
Take your time and experiment with what you are doing.

None of us fell from the sky as gods gift to SWTOR-gaming. We all learned to play our chars from scratch. People with MMO-experience got an advantage, as they are familiar with basic mechanics, but in the end, this is not rocket science.
~~~ Macht Wächter ~~~
Vanjervalis Chain
Jhoira, Skarjis, Trântor, Ric-Xano, Sabri-torina, Tir-za, Shaina ...
We do not brake for Wookiees !

CarlosTrevisan
06.17.2013 , 06:31 AM | #3
I have a Bounty Hunter (powertech), 2 troopers (commando and vanguard), a imp agent (sniper), a jedi knight, a jedi consular (shadow), and a sith inquisitor (assassin). All the main storyline quests are ease, except for The Blood Legacy (playing as sith inq). This was for me the hardest quest of main story (im saying of the mains story because the flashpoints and heroic are harder of course). The damn thing smashed me plenty of times before i could finish it. There is some inbalance between the monster and you, that is still to weak on the begining of the game.
So a tip:
Level up a bit (by doing other quests)
Buy better health packs on droid
Buy endurance stim pack.
This should help you out.

Wellcome to SWTOR, i love this game, even with its bugs, i hope you enjoy too!

ImmortalLowlife
06.17.2013 , 07:32 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by EvoTheGrim View Post
Hi guys, I've only recently gotten into PC gaming and TOR is my first ever MMORPG so forgive me if what i'm asking sounds a tad ridiculous.

I'm doing alright at the moment so far only had trouble with The Blood Legacy quest but did it after a while, i'm playing a Sith Marauder and was wandering if the are some pro tips for playing this class, as when i tried asking for help in the game chat all i got was people calling me a noob or L2P, i'm not asking for anyone to join up and play it for me, I just want to get the most out of this class really.

So, um yeah. Thanks.
I was in the same boat just a few months ago. Just stick with it, & know that you'll find LOTS of helpful info on this site. & it does help to have a friend & or join a guild. What server are you playing on?
"There is no Light Side...There is no Dark Side...there is only The Force..."

Server: The Shadowlands/ Guild~The Elite Imperial Guard & Order of the Light~

AlrikFassbauer
06.17.2013 , 07:39 AM | #5
My standard tips are :

- Switch the Companion. Sometimes, it really helps. (My favourite example is an Heroic 2+ quest on Tatooine ... Diffucilt with several wipes - changed companion - went as smooth as a cut through butter !)
- Use Stims
- Use MedPacks
- Repair your gear as often as possible

- You can upgrade your Companions' gear , too ! Or replace it by better gear.
- What few people seem to realize : The Jedi's Astromech Companion can "hold" Blasters & even rifles, too !
“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

EvoTheGrim
06.17.2013 , 10:09 AM | #6
Thanks for the advice guys, that helps a lot, time to do some experimenting.

And to whoever asked I'm on The Red Eclipse server

haliy
06.17.2013 , 10:45 AM | #7
Interrupts... learn them, live them, love them
MOSAIC - JEDI COVENANT
Guild Website
Haliy - 55 Sentinel ~ Windigo - 55 Shadow ~ Kája - 55 Sage
Vindeta - 55 Commando ~ Snapshote - 55 Operative

BeToo
06.18.2013 , 03:43 PM | #8
Finding/joining a nice friendly guild is good for this type of question, too. You'll find that there's generally much better help there than in general chat, where it's often "bash the newb" time, unfortunately.

NOTACTICS
06.18.2013 , 05:31 PM | #9
I am quite new to game also and after having started with a Sniper and Gunslinger in tandam (Both lv 36 now) as they seemed to easiest to start with being ranged DPS. I have also just started a Maurader and yes that Blood legacy boss is a bit hard on your own but do'able. He is usally 1 level higher when you get the quest and is a elite (Gold star) took me a few goes but just beat him in the end,. most satisfying when you get him in the end.

I assume you realise that a Maurader is a melle DPS essentially (if you pick Juggernaut instead as your advanced class can either go melle DPS or melle tank specced, basically a Jug' gets some more threat generating abilities that the maurader does not get to assit being a tank).

A DPS char is designed to do as much damage as possible in shortest time frame weather ranged like a sniper or meelle as a maurader for example. As a Maurader I noticed you need to smash in hard usually starting in with a jump attack because you need to build up the rage yellow bar to use the better moves which use a set amount of rage so bear that in mind. So it kind of rewards aggresive play the quicker you attack the more attacks open up to you.

The First companion Vette is Ranged DPS so you need to learn to cordinate the threat between you as you're both DPS. Threat is basically the likelyhood a Mob (Bad guy) will attack you. The more threat you have on that Mob the more it will attack you not your companion or another group member. Simply attacking someone (healing also generates threat if your a healer class) generates threat and there are also some attacks and specfic abilties that will generate larger threat or damage on AOE(Area of attack) so can effect more than one mob. There is no threat bars to see, except to say if a mob is attacking you is that you have the current most threat on that mob.

With a ranged DPS Vette to start with you want to attack the meelle mobs in particular group first to avoid any meelle mobs going the Vette she can deal with the ranged. Essentailly because you will tend to advance quicker in attack power over your companion that you should take the lead in a attacking a group to build up threat first. You will not be able to avoid some mobs going to Vette so dont worry about it too much companions can deal fine with weak and most lone silver star (Strong mobs) on their own if they gear is up to their level. Important you gear your companion up aswell as yourself throughout the game.

Most non standard attacks have set cooldowns that vary the time you can re-use them, the stronger attacks tend to have longer cooldowns as you would expect. There are also stun or what are commonly called CC (Crowd control abilities) that either act on Organic targets or dorid targets that will stop a mob from doing anthing for either short period CC or long period CC (with a longer cooldown). This can essentially take a mob out of the equation for a short while when attacking group so you can focus on the others first. As a genral rule work up from weaks (No star) to Strong(Silver) to Elite (Gold).

Anyway I have perhaps said too much, and you will soon pick it all up. I would just say read all the codex you get and with each ability and skill you add (You get new ones or upgardes to existing ones at each level up and one skill point per level) read what they do and decide how best to use them with other abilities and take in to account that certain skills in your skill tree will enhance certain abilties as you level aswell. All the best.

ImmortalLowlife
06.19.2013 , 06:37 AM | #10
Also its a good idea to point out that once you get your ship, your ships droid can be used as a healer. I didn't realize this till I was lvl'd in the high 20's & finally figured out those droid parts in certain mission rewards were for him.
"There is no Light Side...There is no Dark Side...there is only The Force..."

Server: The Shadowlands/ Guild~The Elite Imperial Guard & Order of the Light~