Class trouble, could use some advice

Soberpanda

I haven't played swtor since a few months after release. I just resubbed and bought the expansion. I'm having trouble choosing which of my 3 50s I want to continue with. I have a Jugg, a Sorcerer, and an Operative. Typically, I like melee combat, I tend to gravitate towards that in mmos, but I have nothing against playing ranged. I remember melee being very unforgiving in hard mode dungeons at launch though, much more so than usual. Let me just go through the classes and what I think, if you'll bare with me.

Juggernaut: I like it. Its an in-your-face, no quarter style of combat. I like my roleplay choices that I've made, it makes me smile when I put an npc in their place. The only gear I have is a tanking set, so I'd probably be leveling as that. Trouble is, I'm really not that great of a tank. I like to do it actually, I think its nice to control the flow of a group. But I'm just flat out not very good at it. I feel a big weight of pressure and am constantly afraid my party is going to ream me. So it kind of turns me off in that regard. Instant queues are very appealing though.

Sorcerer: I feel so much safer when I'm dps. I don't feel like that if I make one wrong move, I'm dead and get kicked for "not knowing a fight". I like to heal a little bit more than I like tanking. I'm also good at healing. The biggest problem I have with my sorc is that I took her light side. It might seem like a stupid problem, but it completely kills the immersion for me. Its really hard for me to justify a lot of the decisions I've made in her story. Another problem is my race: twilek. I don't hate twileks, but I do hate not being able to ever wear a hood. It's a cosmetic issue, sure, but it bugs me. I'm not really sure of healer queue times, but I assume they're nowhere near the same as dps.

Operative: Operative was my favorite class to level. Having stealth made things so much easier and less of a hassle. I played her as dps in hard modes at launch and got my *** completely handed to me. It really turned me off to her which is when I switched to Sorc. I haven't done much operative healing, but its intriguing. I'm not sure how they measure up to sorcerers though. I know that in the dps race, operatives tend to come up short... so I'm not sure.

At the end of the day, I eventually will want to dps. So being able to pull in big numbers without constantly worrying about dying would be nice. I'm way more than willing to tank and heal for quicker queues or just on a whim. I probably will be doing this for a decent while after 55 to gear up.

If you read through all that, thank you. If there's any advice you could give to help make this decision easier, I'd greatly appreciate your feedback.

EDIT: I'm *mostly* interested in PvE. I pvp on occasion, but never very seriously.

Edited by Soberpanda

Well, if the Twilek thing bothers you that much and you don't mind spending a bit of real money, you can use the new character customization station to change even her race. These Cartel Coin charges are on a per-slider basis ... not sure what a full race-change cost is, but smaller tweaks are quite cheap. And you can preview any combination before you spend a dime, might be worth checking out.

As for being bad at tanking, is the problem mostly that you don't know the fights? I heal but I still glance at Dulfy.net's Flashpoint guides so that I at least have an idea of how the fights work. She doesn't have everything, but most of 'em are here.

I dunno if either of that makes the decision easier at all. I find I wait a few minutes as a healer in queues, but usually not more than 10. Just please, don't be that guy/gal who queues as a healer or tank but who isn't specced for it. It will be obvious. :p

Edited by Sarielle

Oh wow! I did NOT know that you could change your race! I have 880 cartel coins which is more than enough for a species change! You've made my decision SO much easier ^.^. I hate that I'm light side still, but its a lot easier to get over that than my race! Thanks!