Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Will we get more than 1 chapter per 16 months?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Will we get more than 1 chapter per 16 months?

Kameki
05.24.2013 , 03:02 PM | #1
1.0 brought us with 32 unique chapters (I am counting Prologue as a chapter here) alongside two dozen or so small planetary chains and scattered missions. There were also a dozen to two flashpoints and 4 operations. Also don't forget the HK-51.

2.0 brought us so far 2 unique chapters, 4 secondary mission chains and one operation.

Now of course, the 2.0 cycle has only just begun (so new FPs and Ops will be added presumably), but with their plans for 2.2 and 2.3 revealed, we can pretty much extrapolate that compared to 1.0-1.7 the 2.x cycle will be severely inferior in regards to story. You could even go so far as saying that one chapter in 1.0 had more depth than the Makeb chapter as the Makeb story didn't advance the player character as in the player character learned something about himself (only the Galactic War) and does next to nothing with companions.

To me, regular story updates are just as important, if not more than PvE/PvP and RP updates. Also my companions seem less and less important over time. Mako did everything for me to gather intell where others would not, but when we go to Makeb, she just ignores me, with the exception of (well appreciated) comments outside.

I mean, I don't expect 2.0 to have more story content than 1.0. In fact, I would be grandiosely happy even with a quarter (4 chapters per faction) which is significantly more.

The questions I am asking are: "Is one chapter (per faction) per major content cycle enough?", "Why do we suddenly get atleast 10 times less story than at launch, when it was so praised by a large part of the community?"

EDIT: I added this in a post below:

Quote: Originally Posted by Icebergy View Post
You are making an unfair point here as almost every single content patch has had story in it.
Alright, lets do it. lets compare each and every story content we got from every patch:

Now, heres the fun part. I am going to quantitatively rate each story content based on the amount I think each bit is worth. A 1.0 chapter will have 10 points and everything else will be related to that. Of course take the result with a grain of salt.

- 32 Chapters [320pt]
- 17 planets full of missions with 13 having a planetary story arc and 10 having a bonus serie [120pt]
- 41 companion stories of which 8 have their own missions [80pt]
- 15 flashpoints [40pt]
- 1 operation (EV) [1pt]

- 1 flashpoint (KuS) [2pt]
- 1 operation (KP) [1pt]

- Rakghoul Event [4pt]
- 1 flashpoint (LI) [2pt]
- 1 operation (EC) [1pt]
- 1 daily area with weak story [2pt]

Nothing

- 1 operation (TfB) [1pt]

- HK-51 [5pt] (I am saying this chain is worth half a chapter)
- 1 daily area with decent background story [3pt]

Nothing

- Gree event [4pt]

- 2 chapters [35pt]
- 4 mission chains (the binoc and seeker chains) [8pt]
- 1 planet with just a couple missions telling story (I know there are only 2 additional missions for the empire, cant say for the republic) and no storytelling bonus series [8pt]
- 1 operation [1pt]

Nothing

Nothing according to Summer of SWTOR

data = {561, 3, 9, 0, 1, 8, 0, 4, 52, 0, 0}
adding this into a plot: http://i.imgur.com/kHlYCF8.png
Or if you prefer a base-10 logarithmic plot: http://i.imgur.com/jeYp0Xk.png

My conclusion: Bioware has currently absolutely NO interest in pleasing the StarWars Fans who play SWTOR for the story content. Well, they did have interest pre-launch, but all that interest has faded. The more I think about it, the more I wished 2.0 just added personal class story chapters instead.
Suiko 推古 Legacy
掃仔 Souzai - Human Sith Assassin
主仔 Shuzai - Human Sith Sorcerer

SithKoriandr
05.24.2013 , 04:23 PM | #2
Nope. It's not enough.

I can live with them going fraction based, but it does mean that after finishing chapter 3 on all classes, I'm going to focus on two characters, 1 on each side of the fraction line, and ignore the other 6 classes.

Which means I'll be less willing to spend money on the Cartel Market they want me to spend money on.

If class stories continued for example, and a new outfit comes out that I think would look better on my Trooper and her companions (they all wear matching outfits, as it's the units uniform ), I'm not going to purchase it, because I have no incentive to keep leveling my Trooper, as the Trooper just isn't going to be my main on Rep side (Smuggler or Consular is, undecided).

Now if I had more class storylines, I'd end up wanting to get through them, and thusly, level them up in the new outfits that I think look best on them now!

Companions, they make this big thing about TOR and stories, and stop my companions stories They don't even keep track of it all after you complete it! My trooper, who is now with Jorgen, should have Jorgen speak up if she starts flirting/getting with other people (she doesn't, because she's with Jorgen But if she did...something should be said!)

Basically, if TOR becomes less story based (and it is, imo anyways), it becomes less worthwhile to stay. I'll love some of the companions still of course But that was TOR's thing!

I stayed with and LOVED City of Heroes for 8 years. So, it's not that I need these TOR style stories, buuut, when it's what the MMO was hyped up about, and what made it different, and then it loses it...it becomes less.

Which may not be to bad, because then I can focus on 2 characters only But at the same time, I'll have these companions that BW could be making more awesome and they're not, and it gets you to the feeling that BW is just dropping the ball big time.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Kameki
05.24.2013 , 04:38 PM | #3
I'd also like to add that I still appreaciated chapter 4. The story felt pretty good, although a lot less personal. My point is not saying that the story is becoming worse perse, but just that Bioware seemingly cuts almost all effort they put into story.

I assume they need resources for PvE and PvP content, but I really hope they will pick up the slack at some point, or provide new ways of continuing the story and companions.

They advertised so much on personalized class story, companions, personal ship etc. But it seems the playerbase that initially joined for exactly those things is getting shoved away in favor of a more easy to please PvE and PvP playerbase.
Suiko 推古 Legacy

Xeperi
05.25.2013 , 05:13 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Kameki View Post
I'd also like to add that I still appreaciated chapter 4. The story felt pretty good, although a lot less personal. My point is not saying that the story is becoming worse perse, but just that Bioware seemingly cuts almost all effort they put into story.

I assume they need resources for PvE and PvP content, but I really hope they will pick up the slack at some point, or provide new ways of continuing the story and companions.

They advertised so much on personalized class story, companions, personal ship etc. But it seems the playerbase that initially joined for exactly those things is getting shoved away in favor of a more easy to please PvE and PvP playerbase.
Ugh...their original business model (on which everything else is based) didn't pan out. No point in expecting the kind of content that was based on a certain business model that is no longer used. This is a fantastic game- one of the very best if not the best "video game" I have ever played, and I am suggesting it to all my friends. But I do expect to go through that original content eventually and lose interest in the game. It happens. I think the point should be to consume swtor slowly and savor every bite because it is a unique thing, almost an accident, and there is no reason to expect anything like it to come out anytime soon. Or even eventually.

SilentKitty
05.27.2013 , 04:15 AM | #5
I am slowly lvl:ing my alts in order to make the stories last longer. If there is only the 1-50 class stories and then companions going mute for all following expansions then I don't know what will hold me here except the people in my guild. I want my companions to be more than just collections of powers that follow behind my characters. Makeb had a really great story, but it felt so strange not having my companions reacting to it as well. Don't get me started on Doc not having anything to say if my JK flirted with the female dr, because he would. Miss the companions so much and I still enjoy the 1-50 part of the game much more even if Makeb was a very good experience.

Still have a few stories to go, but I am a little worried. Came here as a single game player, have never really been hooked to MMO's before but this combination of stories that I can enjoy when playing by myself and then Operations and the fun community with the guildies has been absolutely great. But I personally need both the stories and the camaraderie of the guild and community I interact with.

People like different things, this is just the matter which is closest to my heart. If the next expansion is the same type of avengers movie with mute companions I guess that I may not be the targeted group of players. And I understand it, for me creating a new alt is a big thing that I really look forward to, shaping a new character. Was really happy to start the Cathar trooper that I have been wanting to play ever since they first told us that the Cathars would be playable. I was so happy to finally get her on Ord Mantell. At the same time a guildie considered creating a new character in order to have different class and gave a heavy *sigh* because they felt that the lvl:ing was a chore. Just wanted to get to the end where the content that they enjoy is. We just have very very different interests.

Keeping my fingers crossed that they are still interested in working with our current companions and that they will do something for those of us who have story and companions as the main attraction. Time will tell I guess.

Elisaveta
05.27.2013 , 10:02 AM | #6
Sad to hear that the expansion doesn't continue on the personal storylines at all. I really hope bioware will do something to expand upon them at some point. I have 3 level 48 characters as soon as I finished up the class storyline I went and rerolled something else. Not sure how long I will enjoy 50-55 content without that personal/companion storyline.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
Carl Sagan

Damask_Rose
05.28.2013 , 11:34 AM | #7
Ch. 4 doesn't feel like a chapter at all. I don't see where it is any different than any of the other planet quest arcs. They all give little nods to your class. I'll wait 16 months if they would commit to making an expansion with a real chapter! And I'd even pay the going rate for a real expansion...

Icebergy
05.28.2013 , 11:56 AM | #8
You are making an unfair point here as almost every single content patch has had story in it.
10/10 NiM, 4/4 NiM, NMP, 7/12 NiM, HM GF, 4/5 NiM, 7/10 HM

LostInReverie
05.28.2013 , 03:49 PM | #9
I hope we will get more chapters more frequently. Story is the main reason I play SWTOR. If it weren't for the story, I'd go back to playing single player games as I don't have a huge interest in MMOs. While the faction-based stories of Makeb were good, I'd like to see the class stories expanded in the future. Otherwise, as someone else said, there's no reason to continue with more than two characters, one of each faction, and that is a sad thing for us altoholics!
THE CALLISTO LEGACY (JC)
THE SOLARIS LEGACY (EH)

Kameki
05.28.2013 , 04:54 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Icebergy View Post
Alright, lets do it. lets compare each and every story content we got from every patch:

Now, heres the fun part. I am going to quantitatively rate each story content based on the amount I think each bit is worth. A 1.0 chapter will have 10 points and everything else will be related to that. Of course take the result with a grain of salt.

- 32 Chapters [320pt]
- 17 planets full of missions with 13 having a planetary story arc and 10 having a bonus serie [120pt]
- 41 companion stories of which 8 have their own missions [80pt]
- 15 flashpoints [40pt]
- 1 operation (EV) [1pt]

- 1 flashpoint (KuS) [2pt]
- 1 operation (KP) [1pt]

- Rakghoul Event [4pt]
- 1 flashpoint (LI) [2pt]
- 1 operation (EC) [1pt]
- 1 daily area with weak story [2pt]

Nothing

- 1 operation (TfB) [1pt]

- HK-51 [5pt] (I am saying this chain is worth half a chapter)
- 1 daily area with decent background story [3pt]

Nothing

- Gree event [4pt]

- 2 chapters [35pt]
- 4 mission chains (the binoc and seeker chains) [8pt]
- 1 planet with just a couple missions telling story (I know there are only 2 additional missions for the empire, cant say for the republic) and no storytelling bonus series [8pt]
- 1 operation [1pt]

Nothing

Nothing according to Summer of SWTOR

data = {561, 3, 9, 0, 1, 8, 0, 4, 52, 0, 0}
adding this into a plot: http://i.imgur.com/kHlYCF8.png
Or if you prefer a base-10 logarithmic plot: http://i.imgur.com/jeYp0Xk.png

My conclusion: Bioware has currently absolutely NO interest in pleasing the StarWars Fans who play SWTOR for the story content. Well, they did have interest pre-launch, but all that interest has faded. The more I think about it, the more I wished 2.0 just added personal class story chapters instead.
Suiko 推古 Legacy