Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Are they going to continue the companion storylines?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Are they going to continue the companion storylines?

Darth-Obvious's Avatar


Darth-Obvious
05.21.2013 , 04:48 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
I am looking at it from that perspective. We have the same problem with the Cather as a species...so many need to sell before the next one.
They already knew the Cathar would sell well enough to get more species made.

The problem is that Bioware Austin needs EA to give them the money and go ahead to do more races. They're basically manipulating EA so they can get money to do the specific things that Austin team wants to make rather than the things that EA corporate thinks are a good idea, like a majority of what's on the Cartel Market.

Quote:
We have the character customization packs...so many need to sell before the next one.
Not true, they're already done.

Do you seriously think it took them a year make the Cathar, or did they instead sit on it and other features so they could bundle them within a single update, ie Customization. That's how it works now. Just because something is done doesn't mean it's going to release any time soon.

Quote:
When they could have released the new hairstyles for all the races.
They could have, but they won't.

Look at something like Capcom's fighting games. Almost 100% of all their DLC is locked on the disc. Characters, costumes, color packs, etc, but they never release it all at once. It gets released on a weekly basis, even though it's all their on the disc. Guess why they do it that way? A big part of it has to do with the fact that they don't want people to trade in the game so what they do is provide a steady drip of content to keep players coming back, even though all of the work has been completed.

TOR is no different than that. While you can't trade the game in, they're using a similar method of trying to keep people on the hook.

Quote:
I know I'd love to have had the hair options! However, I don't have a human, so why would I buy it? If more players are like that, then that's less people buying the pack.
You're going to see more hairpacks regardless of how the human ones sell, for the simple reason that the other packs are already done.

They'll end up releasing hair packs for each specific race that are unique to that race, and then when they're done they'll release a compatibility pack that you'll have to buy that will allow you to use any hair pack with any race. That is how it works.

Quote:
And because you say they wouldn't do it that way, doesn't make it so. You know, like posts of "never go f2p" or "250k subs is all we need to stay profitable and we have 500k" or whatever such, "this'll never happen"
Unless you work in the industry or know people that do, you're never really going to have an understanding of how things work on the development side of games.

Quote:
TOR F2P is starting to feel a bit like Aeria Games F2P. Here's the game, and everything added now will be charged additionally, which could very well be "Look! New Class Companion stories! For the JK only right now, but if it sells well, we have more waiting!"
Alright then name some examples of some F2P MMOs that sell items that only benefit a single class without having some sort of alternative for the other classes at the same time.

Give me a specific example of what it is you're suggesting. It shouldn't be too hard since just about every MMO out there is F2P.

Quote:
Of course they have the other stories made, but they use this gimmick to get the same players who bought the cathar species, not because they want to make one or even will make one, but because they figure if they buy it, it'll lead to the species they do want.
Omg.

Let's say TOR has 500k players? How many of those 500K do you think follow every bit of news about TOR, or post on these forums, or more specifically actually know that fact about the Cathar?

You are seriously over estimating the amount of players that know/knew that fact about the Cathar. The majority of people buying the Cathar are people who are buying it because it's something different looking. It's giving them an alternative that they haven't had since the game launched.

TOR is a class based game. Species do not hold any sort of significance the way they do in other MMOs, it's purely cosmetic, just like nearly every item on the Cartel Market.

They can not get away with doing what you're suggesting. Look at how poorly 2.1 went over, now imagine the reaction denying players class specific features. The promise of equality later doesn't/won't matter to them.

Quote:
And that, is a business perspective.
No, not really, they're just your assumptions. Like I said above unless you actually work in the industry, you're never going to know how things truly work and without that knowledge it's always going to be difficult to suggest things within reason, or that or doable, or are even good ideas.

Ayradyss's Avatar


Ayradyss
05.22.2013 , 05:34 AM | #22
New Companion stories are indeed in the works. They are being created for all classes in a modular format so that each mission in a chain is a discreet item. These mission items will be obtained randomly from lockboxes (purchased with Cartel Coins, of course) with no means of choosing which companion, which class, or even which faction the mission will be for.

A player must then collect all missions in a given Companion's line before the line actually unlocks and becomes available for play. Missions unlocked in such a manner may only be played by the character who collected all missions in the line, though once unlocked, the mission line may be unlocked account-wide for your other characters to play for an additional fee in Cartel Coins.

(Yes, this is entirely satirical, but . . . I can't help but feel this is exactly where this game is headed.)

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
05.22.2013 , 06:51 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Ayradyss View Post
New Companion stories are indeed in the works. They are being created for all classes in a modular format so that each mission in a chain is a discreet item. These mission items will be obtained randomly from lockboxes (purchased with Cartel Coins, of course) with no means of choosing which companion, which class, or even which faction the mission will be for.

A player must then collect all missions in a given Companion's line before the line actually unlocks and becomes available for play. Missions unlocked in such a manner may only be played by the character who collected all missions in the line, though once unlocked, the mission line may be unlocked account-wide for your other characters to play for an additional fee in Cartel Coins.

(Yes, this is entirely satirical, but . . . I can't help but feel this is exactly where this game is headed.)
For being satirical, I can't help but believe it to be the case. It'll also likely be called an expansion, so they can say it's not part of the free content to subs.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Bytemite's Avatar


Bytemite
05.22.2013 , 07:19 AM | #24
We might have good guesses or insights or even industry experience, and considering the state of the general discussion board here, releasing updates for one class at a time will raise an unholy amount of aggravation and tension between various classes. However none of us are with Bioware and we can't be sure what they might do.

I am uncertain whether there will be companion updates at all, even in an expansion, despite that all the playerbase wants them. I think that depends on what EA is willing to let bioware do and their direction for the game. But I like imagining how the stories might be expanded, beyond fluff companion romance downloadable content. Narrative twists and character development are what I want to see most. More struggles, hidden agendas, backstory secrets coming back to haunt the characters, all that good stuff.

Antisthienes's Avatar


Antisthienes
05.24.2013 , 06:02 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Ayradyss View Post
New Companion stories are indeed in the works. They are being created for all classes in a modular format so that each mission in a chain is a discreet item. These mission items will be obtained randomly from lockboxes (purchased with Cartel Coins, of course) with no means of choosing which companion, which class, or even which faction the mission will be for.

A player must then collect all missions in a given Companion's line before the line actually unlocks and becomes available for play. Missions unlocked in such a manner may only be played by the character who collected all missions in the line, though once unlocked, the mission line may be unlocked account-wide for your other characters to play for an additional fee in Cartel Coins.

(Yes, this is entirely satirical, but . . . I can't help but feel this is exactly where this game is headed.)
Thank you, someone had to mock the HK-51 quest line of bull... I would like to see more companion stories but, some of the companions would become more extreme versions of themselves e.g. Master Carsen ... *looks for Vette's old shock collar to post to the republic*

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
05.24.2013 , 06:40 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth-Obvious View Post
They already knew the Cathar would sell well enough to get more species made.

The problem is that Bioware Austin needs EA to give them the money and go ahead to do more races. They're basically manipulating EA so they can get money to do the specific things that Austin team wants to make rather than the things that EA corporate thinks are a good idea, like a majority of what's on the Cartel Market.



Not true, they're already done.

Do you seriously think it took them a year make the Cathar, or did they instead sit on it and other features so they could bundle them within a single update, ie Customization. That's how it works now. Just because something is done doesn't mean it's going to release any time soon.



They could have, but they won't.

Look at something like Capcom's fighting games. Almost 100% of all their DLC is locked on the disc. Characters, costumes, color packs, etc, but they never release it all at once. It gets released on a weekly basis, even though it's all their on the disc. Guess why they do it that way? A big part of it has to do with the fact that they don't want people to trade in the game so what they do is provide a steady drip of content to keep players coming back, even though all of the work has been completed.

TOR is no different than that. While you can't trade the game in, they're using a similar method of trying to keep people on the hook.



You're going to see more hairpacks regardless of how the human ones sell, for the simple reason that the other packs are already done.

They'll end up releasing hair packs for each specific race that are unique to that race, and then when they're done they'll release a compatibility pack that you'll have to buy that will allow you to use any hair pack with any race. That is how it works.



Unless you work in the industry or know people that do, you're never really going to have an understanding of how things work on the development side of games.



Alright then name some examples of some F2P MMOs that sell items that only benefit a single class without having some sort of alternative for the other classes at the same time.

Give me a specific example of what it is you're suggesting. It shouldn't be too hard since just about every MMO out there is F2P.



Omg.

Let's say TOR has 500k players? How many of those 500K do you think follow every bit of news about TOR, or post on these forums, or more specifically actually know that fact about the Cathar?

You are seriously over estimating the amount of players that know/knew that fact about the Cathar. The majority of people buying the Cathar are people who are buying it because it's something different looking. It's giving them an alternative that they haven't had since the game launched.

TOR is a class based game. Species do not hold any sort of significance the way they do in other MMOs, it's purely cosmetic, just like nearly every item on the Cartel Market.

They can not get away with doing what you're suggesting. Look at how poorly 2.1 went over, now imagine the reaction denying players class specific features. The promise of equality later doesn't/won't matter to them.



No, not really, they're just your assumptions. Like I said above unless you actually work in the industry, you're never going to know how things truly work and without that knowledge it's always going to be difficult to suggest things within reason, or that or doable, or are even good ideas.
Scarlet Blade. Sells items that only benefit specific classes.

2.1 went over badly, but I don't see any sign of them changing anything about it.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Darth-Obvious's Avatar


Darth-Obvious
05.25.2013 , 04:55 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Scarlet Blade. Sells items that only benefit specific classes.
What items exactly? I'm guessing it's cosmetic or nothing that would give players of one class an edge of others.

Then again, it's kind of hard to take that game seriously. It's not a surprise that every aspect of SB is shameless.

Quote:
2.1 went over badly, but I don't see any sign of them changing anything about it.
They won't change the way(s) they handle cosmetic stuff, but just because that's how they handled 2.1 doesn't mean that's how every single aspect of TOR going forward is going to be rolled out, especially story content. Do you remember buying the Empire story faction quest for Rise of The Hutt Cartel as a separate item, or that even being a thing? How about the fact that it's not even purchasable with Cartel Coins.

They stand to make more money by making people pay for new story content as a whole, not in chunks. What use is Smuggler story content to someone who has no intention of ever playing one? Where as they could sell a single expansion/pack that expands on all 8 classes and make way more money.