Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR and WoW, the good and Bad

Dropadeuce
05.12.2013 , 11:10 PM | #21
I don't give an eff about WoW. It's a shame that WoW has become a model of comparison for a lot of the latter generation MMO players.

Aehwe
05.13.2013 , 05:42 AM | #22
I see people still do not understand that SWTOR is 1.5 years old and WoW is 8.5 years old. It took three years before WoW got its first expansion. It took WoW 6 years to get character customization. There are tons more examples aswell.

SWTOR has done things in lightspeed compared WoW. The game is still young, it has loads of potential and is still going strong.
Legionnaires
Venitous Juggernaut Vuspo Assassin Aillynn Mercenary Theyla Guardian

JPryde
05.13.2013 , 06:05 AM | #23
And as usual in this kind of thread, I post only the following:

My personal view of SWTOR vs WoW:
- WoW: boring
- SWTOR: entertaining

Everything else is just dust and shadows.
~~~ Macht Wächter ~~~
Vanjervalis Chain
Jhoira, Skarjis, Trântor, Ric-Xano, Sabri-torina, Tir-za, Shaina ...
We do not brake for Wookiees !

Cretinus
05.13.2013 , 07:16 AM | #24
This topic is comparing a dying game to a game that seems to be establishing itself more and more.

You'll hardly find people leveling a very first toon in WoW. The player base has been the same for ages and "new" players are not really new, but rather returning ones. This does not compensate for the number of players who leave for good and that's why WoW is slowly dying.

SWTOR on the other hand is growing and you see loads of new players starting their very first toon. The game recovered with F2P and has a growing player base. Latest figures were > 2,5 million, as far as I remember.

Why would one want to compare these two games in terms of little WoW featurettes that SWTOR keeps implementing according to taste anyway?
Fortunately, Cretinus is back!

asbalana
05.13.2013 , 08:17 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Cretinus View Post
This topic is comparing a dying game to a game that seems to be establishing itself more and more.

You'll hardly find people leveling a very first toon in WoW. The player base has been the same for ages and "new" players are not really new, but rather returning ones. This does not compensate for the number of players who leave for good and that's why WoW is slowly dying.

SWTOR on the other hand is growing and you see loads of new players starting their very first toon. The game recovered with F2P and has a growing player base. Latest figures were > 2,5 million, as far as I remember.

Why would one want to compare these two games in terms of little WoW featurettes that SWTOR keeps implementing according to taste anyway?
Actually, there is a lot in your post that is not true. A few weeks back, I resubbed to WOW after a long long absence. Everything had changed so much, that I rolled a new character on a server designated "new players". The server is very alive with a ton of people running around. When I log on to my old 85s on a medium server there is a ton of people all over the place. WOW has dropped to 8.5 million players, but I have not (on three different servers] experienced the empty world feeling one gets after the first few planets while leveling in swtor. I am sure that is subjective, but tI think that your statement is false.

To me, the reasons that I left WOW still exist but I am finding it well worth a few play throughs. To me, the solution to WOWs problems is simple. Get rid of GC and take a hard look at Wrath (12.5 million players) in the context of Cata (first big drop) and Panda express (second big drop).

Cretinus
05.13.2013 , 08:41 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by asbalana View Post
Actually, there is a lot in your post that is not true. A few weeks back, I resubbed to WOW after a long long absence. Everything had changed so much, that I rolled a new character on a server designated "new players". The server is very alive with a ton of people running around. When I log on to my old 85s on a medium server there is a ton of people all over the place. WOW has dropped to 8.5 million players, but I have not (on three different servers] experienced the empty world feeling one gets after the first few planets while leveling in swtor. I am sure that is subjective, but tI think that your statement is false.

To me, the reasons that I left WOW still exist but I am finding it well worth a few play throughs. To me, the solution to WOWs problems is simple. Get rid of GC and take a hard look at Wrath (12.5 million players) in the context of Cata (first big drop) and Panda express (second big drop).
Well, I believe you that the "new" players server is very alive. Problem is that most of these these people are probably not really new to the game. Like you, most of them will have already alts on other servers and are actually returning players. This is the problem that WoW has. The same player base fluctuating up and down (more down than up lately) and making new toons on all kinds of servers, but no fresh blood coming in.
Concerning empty zones, WoW has populated capital cities and starting zones, to some extent. Everything else is more or less empty. Last time I made a toon there, I leveld upt to lvl 20 and then stopped playing again cause I wouldn't see any other players for hours. I couldn't imagine 70 more levels like this.

It's difficult to accept that even WoW will die some day soon, but there's no way around it.
Fortunately, Cretinus is back!

asbalana
05.13.2013 , 09:01 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Cretinus View Post
Well, I believe you that the "new" players server is very alive. Problem is that most of these these people are probably not really new to the game. Like you, most of them will have already alts on other servers and are actually returning players. This is the problem that WoW has. The same player base fluctuating up and down (more down than up lately) and making new toons on all kinds of servers, but no fresh blood coming in.
Concerning empty zones, WoW has populated capital cities and starting zones, to some extent. Everything else is more or less empty. Last time I made a toon there, I leveld upt to lvl 20 and then stopped playing again cause I wouldn't see any other players for hours. I couldn't imagine 70 more levels like this.

It's difficult to accept that even WoW will die some day soon, but there's no way around it.
I can't tell in WOW between who is a new player and who is leveling alts. It is easy in swtor based on legacy unlocks and gear.

As far as the leveling process is concerned, on all three WOW servers, I am seeig people all over the place. When you consider that WOW has distinct startng zones (swtor only has 2 to level 10) and the zones in WOW are open as opposed to the linear (move down the tube) questing in swtor, I would expect to see more people while playing swtor. That s not the case though. I understand that is just my experience (three WOW servers and one swtor server - Harbnger).

The biggest surprise that I got while in WOW was that when I hit level 20 and could get riding, all of my mounts (including all of the old ones) from all servers were available to me. I could evern run on some of the flying mounts (that I loved) although will have to go a number of levels more before I get flight. PS - I can't tell you how much I love the ability to fly.

Jeweledleah
05.13.2013 , 09:11 AM | #28
WoW zones only appear open. that's the sad part about them.

TOR has 3 types of quests. personal and planetary stories ARE linear. side quests in each new hub? are not. theoretically AND practically - you can pick and choose between which hubs you quest in and you can easily skip quests you don't like.

with WoW, after Cataclysm redesign - every zone but outland and northrend are linear. you cannot just skip a hub to more to the next, because finishing ALL quests in previous hub is required to open up next one. half the time, those new hubs are not even visible, because they are phased. your only option is to switch zones if you want to keep questing. you could also run dungeons to level, but you could run dungeons to level in TOR as well (I've done that)
Pandaria brought the return of some quests you don't have prerequisites for, but IMO its too little too late, and it still doesn't work in every zone.

in other words - main story quests are just as linear as TOR, if not more so, because at least in TOR if you want to follow the main story, you can skip all the filler side quests, while in WoW, you HAVE to do them to unlock more of the main story.

now - I'm not trying to create an argument what is better and what is worse - that's entirely subjective. I'm just describing how things work in both games.

edited to add. you CAN tell who the new player is vs old in WoW. even if they don't have bind on account gear, because they rolled on a new server, if they are playing on an old account, you can see their achievements.
I don't know how many new people play WoW. I do know that my old server that used to be one of the more populated ones all the way to Cata, has more people from other servers around then from my own (cross realm zone functionality, which honestly? I hate) and selling things on the auction house is near impossible.

so when you see all these people running around, look t their names. see if they are from other servers. cross realm zones create illusion of servers being more populated than they really are.

macumba
05.13.2013 , 09:31 AM | #29
where exactly do you have real impact in swtor ?
other than a different cutscene the world or anything does not change at all.
there is only one thing with mentionable impact in swtor and that whether you chose to break jaesa wilsaam or not. (resulting in the only real choice swtor has, after which you either have the dark or light version of your companion)

you don't even have choice in your dialoge other than 1. option that gives affection/ls or ds points 2. the other option.
contentwise it very often goes like this.

dialogue option 1. we should not have done that
dialogue option 2. but what about the droids?
dialogue option 3. it good that we've done that

answer 1. I agree but let me tell you about the droids (even tho you did not ask)
answer 2. I'll tell you about the droids.
answer 3. I disagree but let me tell you about the droids (even though you did not ask)
Just because you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

asbalana
05.13.2013 , 09:42 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Jeweledleah View Post
WoW zones only appear open. that's the sad part about them.

TOR has 3 types of quests. personal and planetary stories ARE linear. side quests in each new hub? are not. theoretically AND practically - you can pick and choose between which hubs you quest in and you can easily skip quests you don't like.

with WoW, after Cataclysm redesign - every zone but outland and northrend are linear. you cannot just skip a hub to more to the next, because finishing ALL quests in previous hub is required to open up next one. half the time, those new hubs are not even visible, because they are phased. your only option is to switch zones if you want to keep questing. you could also run dungeons to level, but you could run dungeons to level in TOR as well (I've done that)
Pandaria brought the return of some quests you don't have prerequisites for, but IMO its too little too late, and it still doesn't work in every zone.

in other words - main story quests are just as linear as TOR, if not more so, because at least in TOR if you want to follow the main story, you can skip all the filler side quests, while in WoW, you HAVE to do them to unlock more of the main story.

now - I'm not trying to create an argument what is better and what is worse - that's entirely subjective. I'm just describing how things work in both games.

edited to add. you CAN tell who the new player is vs old in WoW. even if they don't have bind on account gear, because they rolled on a new server, if they are playing on an old account, you can see their achievements.
I don't know how many new people play WoW. I do know that my old server that used to be one of the more populated ones all the way to Cata, has more people from other servers around then from my own (cross realm zone functionality, which honestly? I hate) and selling things on the auction house is near impossible.

so when you see all these people running around, look t their names. see if they are from other servers. cross realm zones create illusion of servers being more populated than they really are.
Again, not totally sure that is true. The hubs do have a main quest line that moves you on, But there are usually a number of alternate quest lines that give you XP and provide additional game content. The boards in the population centers (forget what they are called - heros call?) seem to move you between hubs based on level as opposed to finishing a specific sequece of quests. I am progessing through areas specific to my race yet see most every other race there as well even though at the earlier levels each race has a specific questing area. The players are choosing their areas of progression. It feels like I have much more choce on how and where I want to level. I remember in Cata, before I left, jumping between zones between 80 and 85 to keep my experince fresh and not getting "zone bound". I don't ever remember feeling hub bound.

In swtor, I definetly experience that if I miss one quest, the planet is done in the sense that there is no way to continue on and no parallel lines that I can pick up.

The questing progression in swtor run a very tight geographical path. LOL, I often feel that instead of maps all swtor needs is dotted lines or arrows pointing you down a tightly enclosed path. Most WOW quests seem to have multiple or extended areas in which they can be completed. Areas where you can move in any direction most of the time. Swtor seems to, again, keep you to a narrow path or small usually closed in area. When I quest in WOW and there are a number of other players doing the same quest, I usually do not have a problem. In swtor everything is so closed in and limited (and yes linear) that one or two players means fighting for a few mobs or clickables or spending time waiting for respawns.

I do think that the questing design (after the first run though of story element) is rather poor and limited in swtor and offers very little replay value.