Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Cyborg "Species"

chuixupu
02.07.2013 , 06:01 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Leonick View Post
Last thing before launch? Hardly. They were around back then the character creation had "backgrounds" instead of species, when the game still used originally unveiled UI style. So that's a year before launch or something at the very least.
I remember that, but I remember them not being available as a list of species and people being sad that they couldn't create one, and then they did add them in close to launch. The details are hazy, though.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Ifolad
02.07.2013 , 06:06 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by SOULCASTER View Post
If i remember correctly, a LOOOONG time back the devs made a poll thread about "should cyborg be a playable species" and i think it was like 65% NO and 35% YES.....and then they ended up throwing them in as a species anyway

I think they have done a horrible job with them and would have much rather subbed them out for something more unique like Plo-Koon's race. Rodian or Wookiee. Even Jawa would have been better......
Blame the guy who thought rockets boots were cool and put them in the game. What jedi is gonna wear rocket boots when we all know that instead of rocket boots give jedi an out of combat extended duration force run. Give BH's rocket packs, give ops and scounds rocket boots. Problem solved. Again not to mention any names .... caugh... first and last name starts with a W, but blame that guy.

SithKoriandr
02.07.2013 , 06:42 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Ifolad View Post
Blame the guy who thought rockets boots were cool and put them in the game. What jedi is gonna wear rocket boots when we all know that instead of rocket boots give jedi an out of combat extended duration force run. Give BH's rocket packs, give ops and scounds rocket boots. Problem solved. Again not to mention any names .... caugh... first and last name starts with a W, but blame that guy.
I'm still sad there is no force jump ability. Nevermind that Jedi and Sith have been shown to jump great heights in the movies, books, comics (never played KOTOR to know if they could in that).

That said, I love that my Jedi and Sith have rocket boots and a flamethrower. What I dont like is my inability to access that flamethrower on a full team or a team I don't have my companion out. :/

YeIIow
02.08.2013 , 06:20 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by fresnosmokey View Post
I don't even think cyborgs should be included at all. I don't care that they wanted another so-called race at launch. Adding mechanical components, especially ones that do squat all, to someone does not change their race. And the implants are ugly. If they were going to insist on including cybernetics, it would've been much better to make cybernetic implants a cosmetic feature for the different races rather than saying that humans with implants were their very own race.
exactly, but the damage is already done, i just hope they actually do something with the Cyborgs in the near future, with all the talks of new races, further character customization etc, it would be a good time to do something with the so called "Cyborg Specie"
"Forged by Fire; Empowered by Passion"
o◙[//////////]ị:◙:ị{▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒)

YeIIow
04.06.2013 , 03:40 PM | #25
so has there been any news regarding what the future departs for ur Cyborg friends?
"Forged by Fire; Empowered by Passion"
o◙[//////////]ị:◙:ị{▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒)

Deicidium
05.12.2013 , 07:21 PM | #26
Teen Titans.

Noblis
05.12.2013 , 07:43 PM | #27
Inspector Gadget
Hold up ! If we save Han now, there won't be anything for us to do at the beginning
of ROTJ !

AlexDougherty
05.13.2013 , 03:35 AM | #28
Firstly, the Cyborg's should have more options than just facial implants, there should be robotic Arm and Leg options, maybe a synthetic six pack. I remember Bao'Dur's arm, that was cool looking, now obviously for game balance a robotic appendage couldn't break force fields or anything, but would still look cool.

Secondly, the base race should be alterable, not just Humans. Remeber Bao'Dur an Ionian Zabrak with prosthetics, now imagine a Twi'lek Cyborg with an Artificial Lekku, or a Sith Pureblood Cyborg (actually several NPC's are this). Just allow us to choos the base Race when we create the Cyborg, then plaster the prosthetic enhancements on them.
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

Mirura
05.13.2013 , 03:58 AM | #29
While I was also wishing for robotic body parts I also get why they're as restricted as they are in their existing form.

All of the species use the same body model as a base. They just switch body textures (note that this is pretty much the only sensible way to handle it as well). The body parts that are shown unarmored in some outfit pieces are still part of the same unified model as the armor itself. They would've had to make separate variants of every skin-showing armor piece for every cybernetic body part type if they differed at all from the mesh of the basic human body.

The arms and legs are fixed parts of every armor piece even if they show skin. This would've been a ridiculous extra workload for a species that was added rather late on in development and which isn't used by that many players.

Adding cybernetics options for every species isn't really plausible in terms of workload either, it would be a HUGE effort (ever notice that the cyborgs only have 3 actual differing head shapes?) to fit all of the cybernetics overlay meshes over the whole expanse of the different head models that exist in the game.

Making art assets for a game like this runs into far more technical limitations than you people think. There are so many variables and so much tedious repetitive work involved that is just purely time-consuming for relatively little return. It's never ever a matter of just having an artist sit down and press a button to make magic happen, nor is it a matter of laziness. It's because there are factors involved that you, the average player, would not even imagine to come up.

Source: Actual game artist who works with similar things.

wombatjake
05.13.2013 , 06:42 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Golzar View Post
I think you guys are looking at this backward.

They probably didn't have time for another species, and someone suggested a slight alteration of the humans in order to deliver more racial content. Instead of no cyborgs at all, we at least got something in that vein.

In my 12+ years as a game artist & art director it's always been the same story. The artists who made this content probably wanted to push it further, but were facing an unrealistically tight timeframe. The feature was probably set to be axed, and someone figured out a way to keep it, albeit in a limited form.
Yeah yeah. Every gamer in the world is a writer, developer, "artist", marine-war-veteran who has killed "fiddy men", lives in Japan or has lived in Japan, and of course, has their own house and/or business in RL. Anyways, moving on:

It makes absolutely NO sense that every race doesnt have cyborg options. What? Humans are the only species that can have cybernetics? Ridiculous.