Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

Eternalnight
05.03.2013 , 07:57 AM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Whizle View Post
What people actually do doesn't equal 'optimal.' There are lots of people who do content (and even clear it) doing things sub-optimally/inefficiently. Nothing happened to change kbn's math in 1.7.
You really don't get it do you?

Even the post you linked says:
"The implication here is that Double Strike/Thrash usage only happens when regeneration spikes (due to an unexpected burst of m/r attacks)."
Which basically says that his Thrash-less rotation still uses Double Strike/Thrash.

But like I said, please go look at what people actually did.

The post you linked was from November 2012.

Here is a post from December 2012 (which, in case I need to spell it out to you, is a time AFTER the post you linked) from that very same person, and if you look at the combat logs he linked, they very clearly show that he is using Double Strike.
http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...85&postcount=2

So much for that never using it at all.

Whizle
05.03.2013 , 08:22 AM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by Eternalnight View Post
You really don't get it do you?

Even the post you linked says:
"The implication here is that Double Strike/Thrash usage only happens when regeneration spikes (due to an unexpected burst of m/r attacks)."
Which basically says that his Thrash-less rotation still uses Double Strike/Thrash.

But like I said, please go look at what people actually did.

The post you linked was from November 2012.

Here is a post from December 2012 (which, in case I need to spell it out to you, is a time AFTER the post you linked) from that very same person, and if you look at the combat logs he linked, they very clearly show that he is using Double Strike.
http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...85&postcount=2

So much for that never using it at all.
Again, you're confusing what people actually do with what is optimal. You didn't make the comment that "all the cool kids use thrash." You said using thrash is optimal. Which was a factually incorrect statement until 2.0. Some tanks also used maul pre-2.0 (as the thread you linked indicates). That certainly wasn't optimal, but I guess your herd mentality thinks it ok. Go ahead and take solace in the fact that other people were doing it wrong to. Also if you look at kbn's logs, he wasn't using ds in his normal rotation. He only used it when there were breaks in action... or when kephess was downed by a pillar. ...but i wouldn't expect a sheep to understand those nuances.

Kaos_KidSWTOR
05.03.2013 , 08:37 AM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by SW_display_name View Post
I just had a Group Finder FP run with a player queued as Damage. (this was Republic side, translations provided for Imperial players reference frame)

He was a Shadow (Assassin), spec'd Kinetic Combat (Darkness), using Combat Technique (Dark Charge). Every single pull, from start to finish, his rotation was:
  • stand 10 yards away
  • use Telekinetic Throw (Force Lightning) on cooldown
  • use Project (Shock) on cooldown
  • use Force Breach (Discharge) on cooldown
  • maintain Kinetic Ward (Dark Ward) religiously at 15 charges
  • stand there and do nothing else in-between these 4 cooldowns

Watching someone with a double-bladed lightsaber and rocks swirling around them stand outside melee range, never once swing their saber, and spam weak rock attacks was... really, really weird.

Damage was agonizingly low, fights took forever, but at least we had a Guardian DPS who really, really knew her stuff and carried us through (just barely) on tighter fights.

Naturally, he won all 3 pieces of Willpower gear that dropped. -.-

~~~

Anyway, I don't want to be negative and bashing or insulting confused players here. Instead, I'd just like to hear your stories about bizarre / crazy people you meet in Group Finder (or other groups) who make you go "Huh?? What?!" when you watch them playing.

It's honestly very cute / amusing, except when it gets you killed by enrage timers, etc.
I would have Vote Kicked the idiot. Thats NOT how you play Kinetic Combat... If he never once taunted then that "tank" is automaticaly vote kicked for stupidity. Atleast IMO. I have on my tank actualy put my taunts somewhat in my rotation (mind you my tank is a Vanguard/Powertech)

tanerb
05.03.2013 , 08:57 AM | #44
Yesterday red reaper. We are waiting for the tank to show up and healer goes ahead and attacks the first group alone. 2 DPS intervenes because he is about to die. Tank catches up but 1 DPS dies. I tell the guy, dude you are the healer right? he says yes. next group he again attacks does 0 healing. 1 DPS dies I survive barely. And then they move to next group, he doesn't heal anybody. I say why did you join as a healer if you want to play dps? he answers because I can do both. and then tank intervenes and defend him. I find out at that point tank and healer friends and do this all the time. I say whatever and leave group

Ifolad
05.03.2013 , 09:38 AM | #45
ran into a guardian tank, in dps stance, dps gear, needed on EVERYTHING even the green trash loot that drops, didn't respond to any tells or groupchat. Tried to pull the entire room on 3rd boss of Esseles then pull the boss, FYI this was 50 HM. His gear was a mix of greens blues and purples, some had aim stat some had cunning, you get the picture.

Pulled the entire room then the boss. THEN the amazing happend, he acctually typed in group chat IN CAPS( a good lulz to me and my group) and said he was leaving because we sucked since he died immediately then we finished the room adds, WHILE THE BOSS was attacking us, and didn't rez him till after the fight and all 3 of us NEEDED on all the loot that dropped. We finished the encounter with my qyzen tanking which was SOO MUCH easier to heal lol.

Henceforth this person has been /ignored by just about everyone on shadowlands who has been unlucky enough to run groupfinder and find this person in your group. I imagine he /unsubbed.

Eternalnight
05.03.2013 , 09:42 AM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by Whizle View Post
.He only used it when there were breaks in action
Not true.

It's the exact opposite.

Like the post you yourself linked (which you seemingly did not read) said: "The implication here is that Double Strike/Thrash usage only happens when regeneration spikes (due to an unexpected burst of m/r attacks)."

Pre 2.0 it was optimal to use Double Strike/Thrash at times when the tank gets hit a lot by attacks that can be shielded or avoided by defense, which causes them to regenerate more force than usual.
Not when there are brakes in action, since at those times the tank would gain less force.

Helig
05.03.2013 , 11:56 AM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by Ifolad View Post
Henceforth this person has been /ignored by just about everyone on shadowlands who has been unlucky enough to run groupfinder and find this person in your group. I imagine he /unsubbed.
Wishful thinking, I'm afraid.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

SW_display_name
05.03.2013 , 12:46 PM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by Never_Hesitate View Post
To be mentioned here (not by name of course) or to maybe pick something up and advance in your class/playstyle is better, than hiding in a shell.
Yeah for sure. People in SWTOR are rarely mean about things, this isn't WoW where every group has That Guy™ who links his Recount every boss and then explains why this makes him a better human being than you.

Mostly it's just people raising eyebrows and maybe saying something if what you're doing is causing wipes / making the FP/Op impossible to complete.

I mentioned my story because it was really weird and amusing, not to intend maliciousness toward that person (or anyone else).

Stressfire
05.03.2013 , 01:38 PM | #49
Awhile back I queued my merc up for HM Foundry - got a group with a Jug tank, sorc healer, and a sniper. We all loaded in, did convo, and headed to the airlock.

From that point it was like someone lit a firecracker in the butt-flap of the tank's armor - I've done some speedruns, but this was serious balls-to-the-wall moving. Healer almost wanted to bail and the sniper and I were doing all we could to get in attack range by the time he aggroed - even outran the healer more than a few times.

No one died, not even him Thus far best tanking job I've seen and one of the most fun I've had on a run

Battyone
05.03.2013 , 04:31 PM | #50
Mando Raiders, boarding party:

Tank: I'll tank the droid.
Me: The droid is nonexistent
*Wipe 1, sage healer facetanking 3 of the 4 all fight.*
Me: Can you keep the bosses off of me so I can heal?
Tank: Sure.
*Wipe 2, sage healer facetanking 2 of the 4 all fight.*

Votekicked him, and he sends me this tell:
"I was using my AoE taunt on you.", followed up with "What do you mean use guard, I can't cast it on myself, only on other people."

-_-

*EDIT -- there was a lot more wrong with him than these two pulls, the previous healer bailed or so the DPS told me, and he went on some tirade at me about not giving people a chance to learn their class because I vote kicked him. I calmly told him that if I have to explain the core mechanics of his class to him, then I am just playing for him and he should talk to a more experienced tank or look up guides. He QQ'ed then /ignored me. Nothing of value was lost.
Amistar Nelmarra -- 55 Sage, Ebon Hawk <The Azure Blades>
I stream my bad gameplay.
Come watch the Fat Man rageth on Twitch!