Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New Subber - Holy Trinity Concerns

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
New Subber - Holy Trinity Concerns

AnnaEliz
05.01.2013 , 01:05 PM | #31
I understand where you're coming from. Personally I'm too used to the "holy trinity" model and found GW2 to be absolutely weird and unplayable. However, in this game that's generally how a successful group operates. But, depending on how you specialize your character, you should fall into whichever role just fine. Open your mind a little bit and enjoy, SWTOR is awesome!
Founder of the Old Republic

AlrikFassbauer
05.03.2013 , 03:35 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by TaylorNova View Post
When It started, everyone had gone, But, I was still there, thinking, why Can't I jump down into the arena, it was when I clicked a speeder nearby by accident, that I realized, you had to use this to fly into the battle zone.

A small Notice above the speeders saying "use this / It / Fly this to enter the battle", is not that hard to place is it?
Very right. It's this mentelaty of "very fast forgetting" that you were once a beginner, too.
Both in RL ans within games, too.

And the other mentality is that of "oh, but everybody knows this !" - Without actual telling !

Archaeologists and Historians have the problem that in some ancient Roman books we find this mentality of "everybody knows it", too - with the result of knowledge THEY once knew, missing today. Because literally no-one actually wrote it down ! So now Archaeologists and Historians have to bnowadays GUESS at what "they once knew". Because no-one wrote it down because everybody knew it.

Play a few Adventure games. What the designers believe is logical is sometimes not the same as what players believe is logical - especially regarding riddles.

And Bioware NEVER did an Adventure game ...

TaylorNova
05.03.2013 , 04:39 AM | #33
AlrikFassbauer,

Well I am glad you thought that comment not a daft one

But, as you say, and I found, From a Newbie Entering A Warzone for the first time, With A lot to take in 60secs before it starts, I just had to learn A curve that was literately 45%

Ok steep learning curves are sometimes a good way to pick yourself and concentrate on the job at hand, even if you c**** it up a few times.

Its strange , that many games both PC and stand alone ones, have and still do, put beginners through a Boot camp, But here, no such thing.
One I landed At Ord Mantell in January as "fresh meat", I found the Help ? mark window totally useless, because its very limited to what questions it will actually even respond too, I used the map icons, some other pointers in-World plus printed basic things I needed to know, from websites.

having said that, I was lucky in a way, That I migrated from WoW Which I played for a year or two way back, so a lot of the interface, how you pick up, slots, cargo ,inventory, was very similar, & this lead to me being comfortable, with being a newbie. Complete newcomers with no experience In WoW, I would have thought many, thought ,"What the hell do I do here or how".

Ths is why I often Go back to Ord mantel and Coroscant, (my jedi to Tython) to help new players at times, & I often have to back to these places to pick up Bio Goo, which I don't seem to find on the Higher level planets after Taris.

Maybe, in time. the Devs will put a better Newbie introduction Boot camp in place.

I am level 34 trooper vanguard now, My heals have started to get better in warzones, But TBH, I dont really know,if I start Flashpoints, What I class myself as, although the middle skill tree is most loaded in keeping with what My master said I should be Upgrading?
55 Trooper Vanguard
35 Trooper Assault medic
17 Imperial Agent

tgokovenant
05.03.2013 , 07:36 AM | #34
I got lucky when I first started playing. swtor is my first mmo so I had basically no idea. I got into a FP as a marauder (DPS) with another Mara, and a tank and healer. The healer led the group and explained to me exactly how everything would flow. He would say stuff like "focus fire on the flame, then the yellow reticle, and don't touch the purple gear. He's gonna be cc'ed. No aoe attacks until he's the last one left" and the FP flowed so wonderfully. I fell in love with the idea of battle roles and researched everything I could about group combat. That was 3 months ago and now when I join a group via gf, I often even get complimented on my healing and tanking skills. feelsgoodman.jpg
Unfortunately, not everyone has such a nice experience.
Lek'saen (Sorcerer) | Lek'san (Marauder) | Lek'sara (PowerTech)
Red Eclipse

TaylorNova
05.03.2013 , 10:08 AM | #35
XtharSpiralDown : your post has been reported as being abusive & Not relevant to the Original OP Question.
55 Trooper Vanguard
35 Trooper Assault medic
17 Imperial Agent

spectreclees
05.03.2013 , 03:46 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Never_Hesitate View Post
For my part I love the trinity and that's one of the reasons I can't play GW2 for too long
Same, I can only take so much of everyone being able to dps/heal/tank.