Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Iwih
04.29.2013 , 02:23 PM | #1221
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
That was a Bioware guy who tried to say that he'd worded it really badly and that by "no gays" what he really meant was that people in the Star Wars universe didn't have a similar attitude to sexuality like Earth people, so they didn't label each other like that.

I don't think he worked as a Community Representative for long after that.
The one i remember was before tor. So it wasn't BW if i remember right. But its been a while ago so i might be wrong,

Tatile
04.29.2013 , 02:26 PM | #1222
Quote: Originally Posted by Iwih View Post
The one i remember was before tor. So it wasn't BW if i redeemer right. But its been a while ago so i might be wrong,
Never heard of that one, but George Luacs is fairly up for gay equality (mentioned in Natashina's SGRA FAQ).

chuixupu
04.29.2013 , 02:51 PM | #1223
That was a Bioware guy who tried to say that he'd worded it really badly and that by "no gays" what he really meant was that people in the Star Wars universe didn't have a similar attitude to sexuality like Earth people, so they didn't label each other like that.

I don't think he worked as a Community Representative for long after that.
Yeah, he said something like "gay" doesn't exist in Star Wars, meaning, calling people "gay". There was an apology and clarification afterwards and possibly a firing, I think. That's the only thing that I recall, I think some people over time have falsely attributed that to something said by Lucas or LucasArts. I've searched to see if I could find anything else being said before and found nothing.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Iwih
04.29.2013 , 03:20 PM | #1224
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
Yeah, he said something like "gay" doesn't exist in Star Wars, meaning, calling people "gay". There was an apology and clarification afterwards and possibly a firing, I think. That's the only thing that I recall, I think some people over time have falsely attributed that to something said by Lucas or LucasArts. I've searched to see if I could find anything else being said before and found nothing.
After thinking about it. I think the thing i read was on a forum around the time the Two said Mandalorioans where first revealed. So it was probably just hear say

Tatile
04.29.2013 , 03:44 PM | #1225
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
That's what I meant, but I wasn't around when the fracas happened and everything after that has been mostly "he said, she said" because of the forum purge.

Would've just been easier to say "Homosexual, not gay" (because the term 'lesbian' wouldn't exist, that's for sure.)

Edit: PROOF that because Jedi hold office on Earth, there therefore must be gay people in A Galaxy Far, Far Away.

Noblis
04.29.2013 , 04:21 PM | #1226
Someone say thespian? I like thespians. Ever since my first trip to A Midsummer Night's Dream in
Toronto's High Park Amphitheatre.
Hold up ! If we save Han now, there won't be anything for us to do at the beginning
of ROTJ !

Tatile
04.29.2013 , 04:28 PM | #1227
Quote: Originally Posted by Noblis View Post
Someone say thespian? I like thespians. Ever since my first trip to A Midsummer Night's Dream in
Toronto's High Park Amphitheatre.
Yes, but because we've never seen actors in the Star Wars films, thespians don't exist either.

Euphrosyne
04.29.2013 , 05:07 PM | #1228
Also, if Lesbos doesn't exist in Star Wars, Thespiai doesn't either.
Euphrosynē (n., Greek) - "mirth, merriment"
Fanfic: Beyond Good and Evil

Tatile
04.29.2013 , 05:11 PM | #1229
Quote: Originally Posted by Euphrosyne View Post
Also, if Lesbos doesn't exist in Star Wars, Thespiai doesn't either.
There are probably terms that exist in different cultures, but the amount of thought and time required to create one and then explain it, when you could just not...

Besides, it's not like all the other NPCs in the 1-50 content ever go "I am straight, I am SO straight right now!" so labels aren't really a big deal or even part of the problem, here.

SithKoriandr
04.30.2013 , 07:06 AM | #1230
There are probably terms that exist in different cultures, but the amount of thought and time required to create one and then explain it, when you could just not...

Besides, it's not like all the other NPCs in the 1-50 content ever go "I am straight, I am SO straight right now!" so labels aren't really a big deal or even part of the problem, here.
You mean like...

Guy1 in Cantina: Whoa. Those guys are Light Saber Duelists.
Guy2 in Cantina: You mean Jedi? Here?
Guy1: No. The other Light Saber Duelists.
Guy2: What?! Sith?!
Guy1: No. The other OTHER Light Saber Duelists.
Guy2: Oooooh. Well that explains the pink sun shader in my drink. *shrug* Now time to flirt with the ladies!
Guy1: Don't waste your time, pretty sure they're Calamari Clam Diggers.
Guy2: Wait! Are you saying we hit up the only same gender relations cantina on this planet?!
Guy1: That's what I'm saying.
Guy2: I told you we should have went Nossishka! No one from that planet is into same gender relations!
Guy1: But their drinks suck.
Guy2: Point taken! *orders another drink*

Took all of two seconds to explain Not that it really needs to be done.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry