Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why Macros belong in TOR.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Why Macros belong in TOR.

Asturias's Avatar


Asturias
04.28.2013 , 05:39 AM | #931
Quote: Originally Posted by _compton_ View Post
Immediately upon logging into the game initially during early access, I set my keybinds, and then typed "/m" into the chatbox, intending to get a feel for macro function within the game. I was surprised, as were many of my friends, guild mates and others that I've spoken to, when nothing was forthcoming. I went straight to google, and my query was "SWTOR macro support?". My jaw literally dropped as, on the first link I followed, I read that there would be no macro support at launch.

The lack of macro support in tandem with focus functionality initially inhibited me, and many others I've spoken with, from playing as effectively as we feel that we are capable of, and by extension, decreased the amount of enjoyment we were able to derive from PvPing in this game.

Here's why: No one can deny, a large portion of SWTOR players are going to be coming either directly from WoW, or will at least be players with prior experience with that particularly behemoth. If you ask any competitive PvP player in WoW, focus and macro functionality are absolutely vital to maximize efficiency. In addition, many healers will find their ability to effectively heal a large group impacted by a lack of mouse-over macros, another staple of the competitive WoW PvP and PvE communities.

Before you point out "this is not WoW", we're all aware it isn't, obviously. But not supporting features that detract nothing from the game and would be welcomed (and the absence of which is already negatively affecting the experience of many people I know personally within the game) is silly.

Many aspects of this game and the systems within it are derived indirectly from other MMOs, WoW included and probably the most prevalent due to it's size and popularity. Macros and focus are a staple within WoW particularly at end-game and proliferate even more at higher levels of competition, both within the PvP and PvE communities. I'm positive that competitive PvE and PvP scenes are something that Bioware wants to cultivate and foster within TOR - the development of these scenes would benefit the game hugely. It is within the best interests of the games success and the developers to attract as many players as possible and to facilitate truly competitive gameplay. I believe that Macro and Focus support are vital to the realization of this eventuality, and that is the bottom line imo.

There is nothing about macro and focus use that suggests "skill-less". Ask yourself, what is easier to manage? A single target, or multiple targets, each of which could be casting spells or performing abilities that you need to maintain awareness of at all times? The only people who dislike macros in this context either were unable to use them properly, or were unwilling to even try using them initially.

Bottom line, macros, particularly in a PvP scenario and particularly in concert with focus, should be supported and available to those who wish to utilize them.


Finally, please, please discuss this. Opinions from every perspective are valid, and I know there are players who both vehemently support and oppose the advent of macros within TOR.

If you agree that macros do belong in the game, why?

If you believe the implementation of macros would harm the game, why?

EDIT FOR BREVITY!

Here's a condensed version/TL;DR for everyone unwilling to devote the time to read everything said above:

-The lack of Macro and Focus functionality/support within the game inhibits the play experience. Particularly for those coming from other games (WoW being the most prevalent) that are used to the increased effectiveness macro use facilitates.

-Macros and Focus are vital elements in a truly competitive PvP/PvE scene, the development of which can ONLY benefit the Game as a whole.

-Not supporting features that detract nothing from the game and would be welcomed (and the absence of which is already negatively affecting the experience of many people I know personally within the game) is silly.

-Macro use, particularly in tandem with focus, is not "skill-less" but the converse. It adds complexity to the game.

-Discuss!

IMPORTANT: I am NOT necessarily asking for support for completely customizable macros, but support for what I believe are two functions VITAL to competitive and satisfying gameplay:

-Focus Macro Support
and
-Mouseover Macro support

MACROS ARE NOT ADDONS. Here's the disparity, and it's a fundamental one. Addons are pieces of coding written by 3rd parties which alter the User interface, primarily. Macros are lines of text written WITHIN THE GAME, that do not alter the UI, change any frames, or give you information you wouldn't otherwise have access to. What I am asking for is NOT an IWIN single button spam for multiple abilities.


"Macros are a pretty broad term for certain convenience and advanced user functions at this time. Some of those features are present as possible key binds in the game, others are not.
We’re not opposed to macros, we don’t hate them, in fact we will probably add them, but probably not for launch."

-Georg Zoeller

WHAT I AM ACTUALLY ASKING FOR SUPPORT FOR:

Focus macro functionality to use with the focus frames that are already within the game. Such a macro would look like this:

/cast [target=focus] "abilityname"

Here's a mouseover macro -

/cast [target=mouseover] "abilityname"

Devilishly complicated, right?
You can shine a turd all you want but a turd is a turd and Macro's is pure easy mode period and you know it.

PvP is more competitive with out here and it shows.
Jung Ma RP-PvP server
Asturias (Main) Mercenary Fross Juggernaut (Alt)
Rhinus (Alt) Sith Assassin Bastion PvP Server
"Credits is what gets me motivated".

Pheros's Avatar


Pheros
04.28.2013 , 07:02 AM | #932
^100% agreed. If you want to cast ANYTHING, you should have to target that person and cast it.

Oh and also, L2focusmodifier.

Scotland's Avatar


Scotland
04.28.2013 , 07:11 AM | #933
Quote: Originally Posted by Pheros View Post
^100% agreed. If you want to cast ANYTHING, you should have to target that person and cast it.

Oh and also, L2focusmodifier.
Bomb Dropped

Albā Anaigh
Albå - AlbaGuBra - Albā - Albagų
> Real stars burn out, superstars burn forever. <

Dauthuzen's Avatar


Dauthuzen
05.17.2013 , 12:23 PM | #934
I have read this thread and the controversy about macros.

I am in full support of the use macros.

I have used them in my WOW days. They do not make the game any easier, play better, or give a higher skill level. They only assisst in micro managing the game play especially for one who lost the use of his right hand.

What makes it nice is the fact that it would be available to use if you wanted to use them.
This would allow the individual player the choice.

My conclusion is this, those who are opposed to the use of macros, the answer is quite simple:
JUST DON'T USE THEM!!! Just because you don't like them for whatever reason does not give you the right to bash and insult those who would like to use them.

Please present your arguement in a clear, calm and intelligent manner. Do not bash, insult, or degrade those; doing so by the way, is considered cyber bulling; who would be in support of allowing the use of macros.

Pheros's Avatar


Pheros
05.17.2013 , 12:28 PM | #935
Quote: Originally Posted by Dauthuzen View Post
I have read this thread and the controversy about macros.

I am in full support of the use macros.

I have used them in my WOW days. They do not make the game any easier, play better, or give a higher skill level. They only assisst in micro managing the game play especially for one who lost the use of his right hand.

What makes it nice is the fact that it would be available to use if you wanted to use them.
This would allow the individual player the choice.

My conclusion is this, those who are opposed to the use of macros, the answer is quite simple:
JUST DON'T USE THEM!!! Just because you don't like them for whatever reason does not give you the right to bash and insult those who would like to use them.

Please present your arguement in a clear, calm and intelligent manner. Do not bash, insult, or degrade those; doing so by the way, is considered cyber bulling; who would be in support of allowing the use of macros.
As stated before, it's not a matter of choice. It's a matter of making things too easy. I'm a firm believer in having to press each and every skill/button/consumable/etc... because it shows that you know exactly what you're supposed to do, exactly when you're supposed to do it.

As far as targeting functionality, that's why we already have focus modifiers and a keyboard shortcut to set your focus. Just on the fly, set focus, then use focus modifier if you want to cast on that person. Set different focus targets on the fly like good players do. I already do this ALL the time with both my commando healer and my guardian (for guardian leap).

Being able to do all these from single button press is wayyyyyyy too easy.

Saerith's Avatar


Saerith
05.17.2013 , 12:30 PM | #936
Yes, mousing over a player's health and clicking the same button over and over takes skill, a hell of a lot more than actually thinking about what skill to use under what conditions on the run while being focused. Sure, you can make macros "more efficient," but where's the skill in it? I mean, people using aimbots in CS:Source still have to move around, but they'll just shoot everyone as efficiently as possible.
Jaime'lannister - Saerėth
The Starkrend Legacy
Halcyon of Jedi Covenant

Mikeieveli's Avatar


Mikeieveli
05.17.2013 , 01:16 PM | #937
No Macros, learn to use the focus modifier and heal the old fashioned way. You claim that macros streamline the process, by definition streamline means making it easier. Yet you also claim that macros dont make it easier. Which is it?

Also once macros are introduced to the game, there is no choice in using them. You must use them to be competitive, because all the top PvPers will be using them, because it makes PvP easier. If using a mouse over macro save you 1 sec on casting a heal on someone, the person not using mouse over macros will be left behind, not because his skill is worse but because he doesnt use macros. To be competitive in a game where there are macros, you must use them, cause your enemy is, regardless if you like them or not.
Durkheimedes: Fear the Purple and Gold
Hoth Ski Patrol
Pot5

sirullrich's Avatar


sirullrich
05.17.2013 , 01:26 PM | #938
Macros give the user a distinct advantage. I was in a rateds match and a scoundrel healer on the opposing team used a macro where he could instantly change his spec by pressing one button. It took him all of 2 seconds. Usually if someone respecs in game it takes about 15-30 seconds which is an eternity in pvp. Mid fight he repecs from heals to dps. Now he has new cd and new skills to stop caps or kill people. There was a guy earlier saying he couldn't use his right hand and wanted to play so he has to use macros. I understand that, but a guy who can use both hands should not be allowed to use it if the game does not permit it.
W.O.X.-HARBINGER
HYOU-MOUBU
LUKEWARM TAUNTAUNS-BASTION
KARYOTEN-OUHON-RENPA

sirullrich's Avatar


sirullrich
05.17.2013 , 01:26 PM | #939
Quote: Originally Posted by Mikeieveli View Post
No Macros, learn to use the focus modifier and heal the old fashioned way. You claim that macros streamline the process, by definition streamline means making it easier. Yet you also claim that macros dont make it easier. Which is it?

Also once macros are introduced to the game, there is no choice in using them. You must use them to be competitive, because all the top PvPers will be using them, because it makes PvP easier. If using a mouse over macro save you 1 sec on casting a heal on someone, the person not using mouse over macros will be left behind, not because his skill is worse but because he doesnt use macros. To be competitive in a game where there are macros, you must use them, cause your enemy is, regardless if you like them or not.
^^^^^ this
W.O.X.-HARBINGER
HYOU-MOUBU
LUKEWARM TAUNTAUNS-BASTION
KARYOTEN-OUHON-RENPA

cashogy_reborn's Avatar


cashogy_reborn
05.17.2013 , 01:40 PM | #940
if you need/want macros so that you can reduce button pressing to 1 ability, buy a peripheral that allows you to do that.

i could create a macro for my g600 so that all my key abilities are bound to '1' and then just spam that single button the entire time. makes you a lot less flexible imo tho
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads