Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Shadow/Assassin PVP Tanking questions (gearing)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Shadow/Assassin PVP Tanking questions (gearing)

alkhattabi's Avatar


alkhattabi
04.28.2013 , 05:19 AM | #1
hello, am kinda confused on how to gear my Shadow/Assassin tank for pvp :

1- stats should i go for absorption > defense ( i didn't include exp because am gonna use full PVP mods crystal enhancements and shield should be fine with enhancements )

2- which types of mods/enhancements i wanna use ? am guessing B mods (high end mods) because you trade 10 stats for 18 endurance and high stats enhancements (Immunity Enhancement 28X/Sturdiness Enhancement 28X) because you trade 15 endurance for 16 stats, is that correct ?

3- which relic should i use ? this part here i have no idea about

Thank you

Stavroz's Avatar


Stavroz
04.28.2013 , 05:57 AM | #2
High endurance and absorption over defence.

With shields now shielding tech and force powers as well as better % return per absorption point compared to defence it's the stat to invest more in.

As far as relics. 1 partisan absorb proc relic and 1 conquer absorb relic.
Why u ask? Bc ATM they boh proc independent of each other. That is the 20sec limit on the proc is not effected between the 2 tiers of gear so both can proc every 20secs giving u amazing absorption.

Remember shadows have the worst armour out of all the tank classes by far. In fact high end commandos and dps vanguards and guardians have similar armour.

A shadows defence is its Hp which is better then all classes and its superior shield absorbtion due to kinetic ward.

U need to exploit these strengths.

Sadly no matter what u do though your spot a the Main tank in PvP is taken up by guardians In a ranked environment.

Not to say shadows are not good. They make the best secondary tanks for node defence in civil war and nover coast as well as voidstar defence round and back up tank in hutball.
Quote: Originally Posted by Recon_Grim View Post
It's the talent in the concealment tree called "Clandestine QQ" that gives Backstab a 1/2% chance to instantly unsub the target, and a 50/100% chance to stunlock their entire computer.

alkhattabi's Avatar


alkhattabi
04.28.2013 , 06:43 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Stavroz View Post
High endurance and absorption over defence.

With shields now shielding tech and force powers as well as better % return per absorption point compared to defence it's the stat to invest more in.

As far as relics. 1 partisan absorb proc relic and 1 conquer absorb relic.
Why u ask? Bc ATM they boh proc independent of each other. That is the 20sec limit on the proc is not effected between the 2 tiers of gear so both can proc every 20secs giving u amazing absorption.

Remember shadows have the worst armour out of all the tank classes by far. In fact high end commandos and dps vanguards and guardians have similar armour.

A shadows defence is its Hp which is better then all classes and its superior shield absorbtion due to kinetic ward.

U need to exploit these strengths.

Sadly no matter what u do though your spot a the Main tank in PvP is taken up by guardians In a ranked environment.

Not to say shadows are not good. They make the best secondary tanks for node defence in civil war and nover coast as well as voidstar defence round and back up tank in hutball.
so high end mods and high end enhancements and augment for end/pwr how much abs do i need before i can add some to def

kjng's Avatar


kjng
04.28.2013 , 07:50 AM | #4
Tanking gear on a shadow/assassin is still inferior in my opinion. As mentioned, we have very low armour. Self heal is too small and usually does not work well against good players. Shielding is still not effective, which is a big let down.

Say, for example, you have 40% shield chanca and 40% absorb. your expected damage reduction is 16%. Say enemies crit chance is 30%, the reduction further reduces: 16%x70%=11%, not to mention that there are many auto/high crit skills which only reduces it further. I wouldnt be surprised if the actual damage mitigation from shielding is about 5%. Of course this is all theory crafting. I am still gearing my tank, we'll see how it goes...

alkhattabi's Avatar


alkhattabi
04.30.2013 , 08:23 AM | #5
any other infos i should know about ? dose shadow shelter helps a lot or i can avoid it and put the points some were else

Mordarion's Avatar


Mordarion
05.16.2013 , 02:05 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Stavroz View Post
High endurance and absorption over defence.

With shields now shielding tech and force powers as well as better % return per absorption point compared to defence it's the stat to invest more in.

As far as relics. 1 partisan absorb proc relic and 1 conquer absorb relic.
Why u ask? Bc ATM they boh proc independent of each other. That is the 20sec limit on the proc is not effected between the 2 tiers of gear so both can proc every 20secs giving u amazing absorption.

Remember shadows have the worst armour out of all the tank classes by far. In fact high end commandos and dps vanguards and guardians have similar armour.

A shadows defence is its Hp which is better then all classes and its superior shield absorbtion due to kinetic ward.

U need to exploit these strengths.

Sadly no matter what u do though your spot a the Main tank in PvP is taken up by guardians In a ranked environment.

Not to say shadows are not good. They make the best secondary tanks for node defence in civil war and nover coast as well as voidstar defence round and back up tank in hutball.
So this all looks good... So Conq and partisan Relics of shield amplification right ?
THE RELENTLESS
- JEDI GUARDIAN | JEDI SHADOW -

- Guild Website -

DimeStax's Avatar


DimeStax
05.16.2013 , 02:26 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Mordarion View Post
So this all looks good... So Conq and partisan Relics of shield amplification right ?
I'm not real sure anymore. Keyboardninja came out with a post saying that Defense is a lot better than Absorb, but it was based on a m/r and f/t percentage of 60/40 (60% attacks being melee or range and 40% being force or tech). However, I feel that that is at least more like 50/50 or even 40/60 in favor of F/T I/E.... so I'm just confused right now.
Sakz <Good Talk> 55 Guardian - The Bastion
Dimes <Good Talk> 55 Gunslinger - The Bastion
Six-t'nine<Synergy> 55 Commando - The Bastion
Nickels <Synergy> 36 Scoundrel - The Bastion

Mordarion's Avatar


Mordarion
05.16.2013 , 04:13 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by DimeStax View Post
I'm not real sure anymore. Keyboardninja came out with a post saying that Defense is a lot better than Absorb, but it was based on a m/r and f/t percentage of 60/40 (60% attacks being melee or range and 40% being force or tech). However, I feel that that is at least more like 50/50 or even 40/60 in favor of F/T I/E.... so I'm just confused right now.
Thank you, and...

luckily i didn't use any comms yet on relics. So looks like tomorrow I will be doing more research .

Anyone else have any solid info ?
THE RELENTLESS
- JEDI GUARDIAN | JEDI SHADOW -

- Guild Website -

Stayawayski's Avatar


Stayawayski
05.29.2013 , 10:04 PM | #9
hmmm...I used to run a tankasin build but with all dps pieces......has this changed?....been out of the game since 1.4
Veni Vidi Vici

Banderal's Avatar


Banderal
05.30.2013 , 11:26 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Stayawayski View Post
hmmm...I used to run a tankasin build but with all dps pieces......has this changed?....been out of the game since 1.4
With 2.0 (2.0 right? Somwhere around there) came a change in shields, such that they now block force & tech abilities. So everyone went "HURRAY, Shield are now useful!". But then, as pointed out above in this thread, there are a number of powers that auto-crit, thus rendering shields still useless in those cases. So, I think, a lot of the "not sure" comes from how often auto-crit abilities are fired off, and how much accuracy people generally have (which also negates shield % if I got it right).

That said, I've also been wondering about Shadow tank gearing. On my 50 shadow, pre 2.0 I used a 31/10 build and almost full DPS (and focus instead of shield) gear to get where I liked (seeming to have decent survival, and also able to do enough damage to actually kill somone). Post 2.0, I went with about the same build, and full survivor (tanking) EWH gear (after they removed the exp so it wouldn't mess up their bolster), including the shield. I seemed to have great survivability. Felt like my DPS went down enough I had trouble killing a non-squishy, but at least I felt like I could still contribute.

After dinging 55 I've started to gear survivor conq (part gear doesn't seem to be any better than the EWH I already have). I only have my main weapon so far though, that and I picked up the conqueror absorb relic, and power relic (again, worried about being able to actually kill anything). My survivability still seems good (me and a decent healer, as a pair, are well nigh unkillable ), and again, my DPS seems OK. (OK to me equals 200-300K DPS in a good WZ and 200K protection, which is probably pathetic by some people's standards, but hey, I know my limitations (like old person fingers and reflexes .)

But I only play casual, on PUGs (non ranked, solo queue) - so all this is worth what you paid for it.
Imagynary - Fractional - Rhandom - Lottoe (Pub)
Eerational (Imp)

POT5