Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PvP Guide Gearing up, medals and commendations

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
PvP Guide Gearing up, medals and commendations

GenXCub
03.19.2013 , 07:58 PM | #61
Quote: Originally Posted by matthomas View Post
Im new to the game. So im wondering what the difference between PVP and PVE gear? ANd why is it a bad idea to go into a WZ with PVE gear on?
PvP gear has a stat called Expertise. This is a common theme in other MMO's (notably World of Warcraft).

Expertise increases your damage versus players by a % and reduces damage from other players by a % and increases the amount you get healed by a %.

PvE gear doesn't have this stat (as it's useless in PvE). So imagine a PvP geared person going up against a PvE geared person, The PvPer will have a bit less of their primary stat than the PvE, but they'll be doing ~30% more damage, be taking ~20% less damage and getting healed ~15% more than the PvE character. It's a crippling difference.

Keep in mind, this doesn't apply in the 10-49 PvP bracket (well, it does, but the amount of expertise you can get pre-50 is really marginal and doesn't make much difference)
THATCHED ROOF COTTAGES!

Wainamoinen
03.21.2013 , 07:55 AM | #62
Quote: Originally Posted by GenXCub View Post
... and increases the amount you get healed by a %...
Expertise increaes the healing you do, rather than the healing you receive.

Otherwise, fair enough.

High PVE stats can mean you'll have a big health pool in PvP, or do big damage/healing numbers. But you'll take a pasting from someone in proper PvP gear, because they're mitigating all the damage you do and multiplying the damage they do, and your big health pool just means you'll need more healing to get back up to max.

More often than someone in top raid gear though, is someone in bad PvE gear, who will swiftly become a pink smear. Jumping into a warzone in your levelling greens when you've just dinged 50 will probably hurt - get the Recruit set of gear instead. Then buy your War Hero gear with the comms you earn (can take a week, a piece or more per day depending how offten you PvP), and try to learn to play a bit in the meantime, while getting your arse kicked as little as possible.
It's a small world and it smells funny, I'd buy another if it wasn't for the money.
Ilmarinen 55 Scoundrel (Red Eclipse)

otterscrubber
03.27.2013 , 09:14 AM | #63
Quote: Originally Posted by texnvienna View Post
little off topic, just wondering if anyone else thinks its a good idea to possible earn social points for pvp. maybe it could be half what you get from fp, just a few points for pvp would be nice.

very nice guide btw great info to know!!
I like this plan
This internet could be a nicer place, let's start here.
Whatever you read in my posts, I actually really like SWTOR

BluntCannon
03.31.2013 , 09:41 PM | #64
My advice - do not bother buying any PVP gear before 50. Maybe a couple pieces at 40 but you probably want to max out WZ comms before getting to 50

Brant_Flir
04.10.2013 , 12:21 AM | #65
Gearing up should be taken out of this title.

MoZg_YP
04.11.2013 , 12:16 PM | #66
This title should be changed to PVP guide - doing PVE is the only way to be competitive in WZs.

Otrorto
04.20.2013 , 01:46 PM | #67
Is outclassed now, and cant be fitted still, at least untill we reeally know who all this 2.0 really work, what are the Best in Slot items and so, cause u may be ending needing a PvE relic/implant/etc... For now is basically what is said up here "do PvE to get PvP gear"
Server The Red Eclipse - Awesomo Legacy - PreludeOfLight/PreludeOfDark
Republic: Ototo - Scoundrel, Durilam - Guardian, Aduril - Sage, Valilkya - Commando, Ch'e'ji - Shadow. Imperial: Vr'assus - Sniper, Boobaleegs - Powertech, Darkylaine - Assasin, Darkvalkyl - Juggernaut

Bisslossk
04.28.2013 , 01:38 AM | #68
Is it better to wear the best PvE item or the best PvP items from the game since the last patch?

Jedislayerstep
04.29.2013 , 10:19 PM | #69
This might sound stupid, but I can't find LVL 50 PVP gear anywhere on the fleets. Did they get rid of it or move it?

Moonglum
05.01.2013 , 02:46 PM | #70
Quote: Originally Posted by Jedislayerstep View Post
This might sound stupid, but I can't find LVL 50 PVP gear anywhere on the fleets. Did they get rid of it or move it?
They've removed the Level 50 gear entirely. From what I understand, only level 55 PvP gear is available at Fleet. Lower level gear, I'm told, is still available on Dromund Kaas for the Imps - I'm guessing it'd be Coruscant on the Pub side.
Srumn (55 Sorc) :: Xerus (55 Jug) :: Gozerian (55 Merc) :: Seutonius (55 Op) :: Dartagnan (55 Gunslinger) ... and 12 others <50