Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Worries about Planetary Comms and the GTN

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Worries about Planetary Comms and the GTN

ScarecrowES
04.26.2013 , 10:48 AM | #91
Of course, anything that makes it easier in the game to get what you want is going to be approved by gamers. As I've said, even I, as a player, am reaping the benefits of not having to buy any of my mods, or at least very few, for myself, and seeing the prices of high level blues at what was the price of low level greens pre-2.0 has certainly made it easy to get my companions all geared up too.... and all with barely a dent in my pocket book. For me, as a player, this is amazing in the short term... I've been provided with the sort of instant gratification - hell not even instant gratification... perhaps pre-emptive gratification... gratification before I even feel like I need it... that the ADHD-ridden youth of today craves.

But in the long term, this has been a horrible experience that has driven much of the incentive to continue playing and participate in the systems and content the game is built around in the long-term. There is much in leading players through all of the experiences in a journey of this kind to ensure that all possible opportunites are given in putting the proverbial carrot in front of the player and saying "see the carrot? Go through this part of the journey and you might get some." It's the carrot that keeps us all going in this game. The promise of something more on the horizon if we're just willing to work for it.

Ultimately, all we really want is the carrot. The journey is merely a means to an end... an often pleasant and often tedious journey for often, seemingly, meager rewards. But this is exactly why we play. What BioWare has done, in essense, is just handed us the carrot. They said "Oh, it's not as much fun to work for your carrot? You want more carrot right now? Well here you go." Why have a profession to earn credits to spend on items you want when you no longer have to? Why run Flashpoints and Operations over and over when you don't have to. Why expose yourself to any of the more challenging or group content because the rewards would have been otherwise better than merely breezing through the basic content when you don't have to? Why participate in a player-based economic system when you don't have to? Why, in essense, play SWTOR as an MMO at all, when you don't have to?

It shouldn't come as a surprise to any person over the age of 16, but working for the things you want is not nearly as fun as people just handing you those things for free. But in an MMO, just as in the real world, the whole system collapses once you start doing that. The old comms system ensured you were never overly rewarded, but also gave you a return on your investment regardless by encouraging participation in the player economy. In turn, crafters had a reason to participate in that system to fill in the gaps in the greater game system.

Despite all pretenses, the image of "greedy crafters" is pathetically false. As has already been shown, for the most part prices have been entirely too low for most crafted goods, and any whining to the contrary is just empty fallacy. It doesn't hold up to reality. Simply because a player does not wish to pay a certain price for a good doesn't mean it's not worth that much, and again, I'd point out that if we had only NPC vendors to rely on, in most cases the prices would be significantly higher. Pre-2.0, you were paying the same or less price for a crafter's blue mod on the GTN as an NPC vendor would charge you for a green. That's a fact. Crafters, for the most part, were giving you the deal of a lifetime.

Andryah
04.26.2013 , 11:17 AM | #92
Quote: Originally Posted by ScarecrowES View Post
Despite all pretenses, the image of "greedy crafters" is pathetically false. As has already been shown, for the most part prices have been entirely too low for most crafted goods, and any whining to the contrary is just empty fallacy. It doesn't hold up to reality. Simply because a player does not wish to pay a certain price for a good doesn't mean it's not worth that much, and again, I'd point out that if we had only NPC vendors to rely on, in most cases the prices would be significantly higher. Pre-2.0, you were paying the same or less price for a crafter's blue mod on the GTN as an NPC vendor would charge you for a green. That's a fact. Crafters, for the most part, were giving you the deal of a lifetime.
Good trade crafters don't care about this sort of thing. They understand player demand in the economy is constantly changing and they shift with it. They serve the community and they profit from the community in a balanced manner.

Opportunistic trade crafters on the other hand...don't like competition from the game world and want the player economy to themselves to exploit. Nothing more, nothing less.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.