Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Did Vader ever try to clone Padme?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Did Vader ever try to clone Padme?

AlexDougherty
04.25.2013 , 06:41 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMB View Post
This doesn't seem accurate, since the Clone Troopers had a great degree of individuality, and all looked different through the Force.
It's from the Thrawn Trilogy, paraphrased obviously, but the basic idea is that since the Force permeates us all, penetrates and binds us (Obi-Wan/Ben Kenobi), it has an effect on developing clones. However since the Clone Troopers were given genetic modifications and advanced neural programming during the process they would be altered, but a normal clone would be very similar to the original.

However it had a different effect on force users, for example Jorus C'baoth and his clone Joruus, and the weird effect that Luke's Clone (Luuke Skywalker) had on him, means that madness if pretty much inevitable for any force users involved.
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

Beniboybling
04.25.2013 , 01:36 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Eternalnight View Post
How could he? Easily. Let me introduce you to this wonderful new technology: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shovel

More important question is why would he?
Ha Ha! XD That made be laugh.

And good question, why would he want to? Darth Vader choked his wife, the Anakin Skywalker that once loved Padme is gone. All that's left is regret, remorse and sadness. Bringing Padme back would only intensify these feelings and wouldn't work, as Padme loved Anakin, who is dead.

Do you really think she'd be happy when she sees that her husband has become? A monster entombed in irremovable armour, and fist of an evil Emperor and his galaxy spanning Empire which flies in the face of everything Padme believes in? She'd likely kill herself or flee.

Slowpokeking
04.25.2013 , 01:53 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Ha Ha! XD That made be laugh.

And good question, why would he want to? Darth Vader choked his wife, the Anakin Skywalker that once loved Padme is gone. All that's left is regret, remorse and sadness. Bringing Padme back would only intensify these feelings and wouldn't work, as Padme loved Anakin, who is dead.

Do you really think she'd be happy when she sees that her husband has become? A monster entombed in irremovable armour, and fist of an evil Emperor and his galaxy spanning Empire which flies in the face of everything Padme believes in? She'd likely kill herself or flee.
No, but she would try to bring him back to the light side, just like she said "There is still good in him".

Did Luke give up the hope on Vader because he's a monster entombed in irremovable armour, and fist of an evil Emperor and his galaxy spanning Empire which flies in the face of everything Luke believes in? NO.

MrBorsh
04.25.2013 , 07:44 PM | #24
I guess I'm not the only one who'd like to see an alternative ending to Episode III?

YoshiRaphElan
04.25.2013 , 08:19 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexDougherty View Post
In the Star Wars universe the force causes a copy of the original personality to be imprinted on the new clone, so essentially it would be the same person, this even works after death.
Incorrect. It is a kind of, I don't know, disease, that affects Force sensitive clones. But normal clones will not be the same person, otherwise Boba would be Jango, and so would every of the millions of clone troopers. It doesn't work that way.

Highborne
04.25.2013 , 09:10 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
I guess that would be interesting.
No, he didn't. But it makes sense - consider:

(1) Vader, even before he 'fell", was a supremely self-centered person. His love for Padme reads more like obsession, and the novelisation of Ep. III (with George Lucas' consent) has him dipping into domestic abuse toward her as the war takes a toll on his ideals. This establishes that - especially as DS! Anakin - he's only going to clone her for his own ends, not out of some fundamentally loving (if disconnected from reality) desire to "make it right".

(2) One of the consequences of his fall and the manner in which it happened is that Vader loathes himself, again confirmed by George Lucas. Not to mention the comic Resurrection, in which his answer to the question "What could you hate enough to destroy me?" from his opponent is "Myself". This establishes that he doesn't consider himself worthy of happiness or fulfilment, which - in accordance with his self-centered nature, above - means that there is no reason from his perspective to clone Padme.

Not to mention that (1) he knows it wouldn't be Padme (unless you're bug**** nuts, the Force doesn't allow that kind of delusion to go on for long), and (2) at some level, he suspected that Palpatine had Padme killed to remove competition for his loyalty - meaning that if he did clone her, Palpatine would probably go after the clone too.

Slowpokeking
04.25.2013 , 09:17 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Highborne View Post
No, he didn't. But it makes sense - consider:

(1) Vader, even before he 'fell", was a supremely self-centered person. His love for Padme reads more like obsession, and the novelisation of Ep. III (with George Lucas' consent) has him dipping into domestic abuse toward her as the war takes a toll on his ideals. This establishes that - especially as DS! Anakin - he's only going to clone her for his own ends, not out of some fundamentally loving (if disconnected from reality) desire to "make it right".

(2) One of the consequences of his fall and the manner in which it happened is that Vader loathes himself, again confirmed by George Lucas. Not to mention the comic Resurrection, in which his answer to the question "What could you hate enough to destroy me?" from his opponent is "Myself". This establishes that he doesn't consider himself worthy of happiness or fulfilment, which - in accordance with his self-centered nature, above - means that there is no reason from his perspective to clone Padme.

Not to mention that (1) he knows it wouldn't be Padme (unless you're bug**** nuts, the Force doesn't allow that kind of delusion to go on for long), and (2) at some level, he suspected that Palpatine had Padme killed to remove competition for his loyalty - meaning that if he did clone her, Palpatine would probably go after the clone too.
He could have keep her as a secret like he did with Starkiller.

YoshiRaphElan
04.25.2013 , 09:45 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexDougherty View Post
It's from the Thrawn Trilogy, paraphrased obviously, but the basic idea is that since the Force permeates us all, penetrates and binds us (Obi-Wan/Ben Kenobi), it has an effect on developing clones. However since the Clone Troopers were given genetic modifications and advanced neural programming during the process they would be altered, but a normal clone would be very similar to the original.

However it had a different effect on force users, for example Jorus C'baoth and his clone Joruus, and the weird effect that Luke's Clone (Luuke Skywalker) had on him, means that madness if pretty much inevitable for any force users involved.
That was an early idea that no longer holds any real canon save for in unstable Force sensitive clones. Starkiller had the opposite effect; everyone else thought he WAS Starkiller, and he was the only one who thought he wasn't, instead of vice versa. Also, Boba had no genetic modifications and he didn't think he was Jango. So in other words, AOTC proves wrong any viability in your statement. However, I will say this: you're right on one part; C'baoth definitely did think he was the real deal, and so did the Palpatine clones (I don't care what anyone says, it was retconned that they were not bodies with Palpatine's spirit, they were just clones who thought they were Palpatine).

Corrupted_Soul
04.26.2013 , 02:21 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Darthflowmotion View Post
character transfer doesn't work duh that's why bioware doesn't do it not like they are stupendous or anything.
And I LoLed hard @ this.

Back on topic:

We don't know enough about the process of cloning. We don't know how much if any brain scanning while alive is needed. We don't know what levels (if any) of cellular decay is acceptable to have a viable clone.
We have very limited information as to the process (it's needs and limits) and frankly can't put to much faith even in what we do know. Only the movies are given the top tier of "cannon-hood" with the books and then comics often being retconed as needed.

The gist of what we can reasonably say;

Thrawn clones - force user = unstable
AotC troops - madalorian's can be mass produced
Starkiller clones - stable force using clones (mostly sets the stage for...)
Retcon Emperor clones - the SWTOR emperor 2.0

Additional:
Fluid filled cylinders are involved (sparti? Something like that)
Rates of growth and gene tweaking is possible with process
Error rates exist
EDIT: it sucks to be bevel lemlisk - some type of recollection up to death can be done
????
Profit?

<shrug>

Beniboybling
04.26.2013 , 10:42 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
He could have keep her as a secret like he did with Starkiller.
Yup, but that doesn't resolve the problems Highborne raises. Also note that in the non-canon Endor edition, Sidious is aware of the clone. And in actual canon he found out about the real Starkiller, so its likely he'd discover Padme anyway.
Quote: Originally Posted by YoshiRaphElan View Post
(I don't care what anyone says, it was retconned that they were not bodies with Palpatine's spirit, they were just clones who thought they were Palpatine).
Wait? What? When did this happen? Last time I checked Palpatine created those clones to inhabit his spirit, and did so. Retcon that and you may as well do away with it all together... as it no longer makes canonical sense.

EDIT: Just checked again, it would seem that no such retcon has happened, not sure where you heard this...