Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A question for veteran MMOers...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
A question for veteran MMOers...

chimex
04.19.2013 , 04:07 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Machine-Elf View Post
1. As someone who's entirely new to the genre, it seems overly complex. But then again I understand it's simple in comparison to its counterparts. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though.
2. It's a year old.
3..I thought all MMOs were linear until you hit level cap?
1) yes, as someone who is new to MMO's, this one is a great kick off. However, there are much more complex MMOs out there which require much more grouping to accomplish tasks.

2) Yes, you are right. That said, there is no reason they can't throw out a few more events. Although admittedly, their event frequency isnt all that terrible. Personally though, I long for another raghoul (sp) plague, that was awesome

3) Ones of this style are, yes. However, there is usually a slight more degree of freedom. EG: do you go to the lands of fire and help the advanced guard, or do you travel to the lost forest, and assist in taking it back from the creatures that have taken over?

Also, there are MMO's like EVE online. You can do whatever you want (mind you, they don't have levels, only training, which can take days!!!!). Or, Ragnarok, which gives you plenty of options to choose from on your way up the levels
The Progenitor (RP): Shazmi:<Crimson Moon>

ChazDoit
04.19.2013 , 04:25 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
It might present a marginal improvement (though I doubt it, at present server activity levels)... but it brings it's own issues to the table. Not worth the investment of effort IMO. Cross-server does not address class balance (as has been pointed out above) it only addresses small populations on servers being aggregated for more pops in the queue (which is why WoW added cross server realm play.. to hide how dead many of their servers are without closing and consolidating servers).
The tech can also be implemented for Warzones

Andryah
04.19.2013 , 04:48 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by ChazDoit View Post
The tech can also be implemented for Warzones
It might have some value for cross realm competition... but not for just /random WZ queue IMO.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

Andryah
04.19.2013 , 04:50 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by chimex View Post
Also, there are MMO's like EVE online. You can do whatever you want (mind you, they don't have levels, only training, which can take days!!!!).
You are comparing a true PvP centered sandbox MMO (EVE) with a true PvE themepark MMO (SWTOR). They don't compare well as their entire premise for existence (from a player perspective) is different.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

jorill
04.19.2013 , 05:09 PM | #45
You are comparing a true PvP centered sandbox MMO (EVE) with a true PvE themepark MMO (SWTOR). They don't compare well as their entire premise for existence (from a player perspective) is different.
Talk about opposite ends of the spectrum.

Anyways they only way this helps is if you have one server that says has too many healers or tanks but other than that i dont see it helping. As stated earlier i think the group size of 4 really makes this a lot worse than it needs to be

fungihoujo
04.19.2013 , 05:35 PM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by Machine-Elf View Post
Would the queue time in SWTOR be practically non-existent -- as in, instantaneous -- if it were done cross-server?
No, but if you put in a tank bolster system that gave tank stats to people in dps gear/specs, that'd probably make far more people willing to tank.

Shingara
04.19.2013 , 05:38 PM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by fungihoujo View Post
No, but if you put in a tank bolster system that gave tank stats to people in dps gear/specs, that'd probably make far more people willing to tank.
I dont think it needs a bolster, good tanks are great but they have mostly played other mmos. The fact is tanks can level in this game without ever being in a party nor do any flashpoints whilst leveling. looking after a companion is no where near as much hard work as looking after throthing at the teeth dps who think if it moves they have to try and nail it to the wall instead of following tanks target.

As for the original question, yes it would work for pvp but make no difference to pve q's as you still need the same 3 types and you just increase the pool you can grab from not increase the number of tanks and healers you can get compared to the pool size.
Health Warning - Thread May Contain Nuts.
First, you can continue as a subscriber, which gives you unlimited access to all game features and future Game Updates at no additional charge. http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20120731

Arlbo_Nabbins
04.19.2013 , 05:48 PM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by SW_display_name View Post
There's less gear pressure. A tank going into a new FP tier badly under-geared will explode and give the healer nightmares and require marking CC every pull. A healer may find themselves simply unable to keep the group alive. A DPS who's undergeared can still contribute something and get carried along while they gear up.
I think this is very true, I did not even try GF for the 55 HM FPs with my tank until I had full 4/7 66 gear and every piece I had was augmented. But I will queue for them with my DPs classes in a couple of pieces of 66 (barrels especially) and the rest campaign gear. If you are undergeared in a tank it really hurts the group, with DPS you can get away with having some poor gear,

chimex
04.19.2013 , 06:05 PM | #49
I completely agree. However, my point was not about comparison. It was addressing the claim that all MMO's carry this particular formula
The Progenitor (RP): Shazmi:<Crimson Moon>

Callaron
04.19.2013 , 06:23 PM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by alltrueist View Post
It might lower it, but you're still bottlenecked by having too many DPS players and not enough Tanks or Healers.
^ That.
DPS on WoW have the same problem, and I doubt there are many other MMO's that have cross-server queue's.
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)
Want more Class stories? Let Bioware know!