Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

People not properly playing their roles

iPrismmm
04.01.2013 , 10:03 PM | #1
I've ran across this many times and tonight I was running a hm and we had a commando healer who was just healing himself and let both me(dps) and the tank die 2 or 3 times before I called him out on it and left the group. I called him out on it and he immediately starts raging telling me that it's my fault, that I was on the wrong side of the mob, I was too close etc etc. Yet he didn't attempt to heal even the tank at least once only himself.

Why is it so hard for people to do their simple job properly and if you proceed to call them out on it it's your fault especially if you play dps. Does anyone else experience this?

iEuthanasia
04.01.2013 , 10:43 PM | #2
I very rarely run into people who are just abysmally bad at their given spec. Now having said that, of the people whom I have ran into that are completely beyond help as far as playing roles properly, it's almost always a DPS that queued as a healer or a tank thinking that they could do a passable job. Don't get me wrong, I've done it. But I also have field respec on those characters and actually swap roles fairly often so I'm not queuing for a hard mode and trying to tank/heal for the first time.

Seireeni
04.02.2013 , 07:52 AM | #3
I've once ran sm Taral V with a guardian that was dps specced and at some point of the run even changed to a dps lighsaber form (changed back to soresu when I commented about it, tough). Also, I few days ago, I ran hammer station with a dps who said that before this run, he had a run where they had to kick 3 healers out of the group for not healing at all. I mean, how is this even happening? Don't people know how to use groupfinder or do they just prefer wipes to longer queue times?

Kaos_KidSWTOR
04.02.2013 , 08:19 AM | #4
I hate it when that happens... my first 50 was a pure healer merc. I ALWAYS healed in HM FP's. Never once did i DPS unless i was the last one up. As my new 50 Vanguard Tank im a pure tank. My only job is tanking. so i need to stick to that. I want to petition for an IQ test at sign up and if you fail the IQ test you cant get an account for the game because your too stupid to play.

psandak
04.02.2013 , 08:22 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Seireeni View Post
I've once ran sm Taral V with a guardian that was dps specced and at some point of the run even changed to a dps lighsaber form (changed back to soresu when I commented about it, tough). Also, I few days ago, I ran hammer station with a dps who said that before this run, he had a run where they had to kick 3 healers out of the group for not healing at all. I mean, how is this even happening? Don't people know how to use groupfinder or do they just prefer wipes to longer queue times?
One common issue is that a given advanced class can fill two roles and when the person queues in group finder, they do not bother to check or confirm that their desired role is checked and the one they do not want is unchecked. So, someone is normally a DPS, queues as a healer (or tank) as well as DPS, gets into the group as a healer (or tank) and does not realize it until it is "too late." Or they do realize it and dread re-queuing so they try to tough it out...usually with bad results.

Another possible explanation is that early in the leveling process spec and role do not necessarily have to match - you can be a merc bh pyro spec and still heal SM FPs easily up to and through the foundry (I know because I did it on several occasions). Players new to MMOs make the false assumption that this pattern applies forever when it does not.

tanerb
04.02.2013 , 04:38 PM | #6
As a new player I learned one thing. Healer is everything in the group. I played FP : Hammer with a group and wiped out 3 times in the end boss. Then our healer said he will go to bed and we found another one. We beat the boss so easy, it was unreal. I think the problem with the healer role is, it is really boring to play properly., that is why all the issues.

Seireeni
04.02.2013 , 04:43 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by tanerb View Post
As a new player I learned one thing. Healer is everything in the group. I played FP : Hammer with a group and wiped out 3 times in the end boss. Then our healer said he will go to bed and we found another one. We beat the boss so easy, it was unreal. I think the problem with the healer role is, it is really boring to play properly., that is why all the issues.
Healer is fun to actually play properly. If you know what you're doing, you can also attack a little.

DarknessInLight
04.03.2013 , 09:32 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Seireeni View Post
Oh, I'll go one better. How about a Guardian tank that is not only spec'd wrong(Willpower over Endurance) but is equipping MEDIUM armor? I have seen it, and it disturbs me beyond measure. Tanks are supposed to stack Endurance over their secondary stat(whether it be Aim, Strength, etc). Most Tanks should be in Heavy Armor(they are Tanks after all...). I see this a lot when I am using my dps or healer toons, and it's pretty sad when I have to use a Trooper DPS to save the wipe, draw aggro and heal the tank, and I am not trying to speak negatively about the healer, who is trying to keep me and the other dps alive.
Jedi do not fight for Peace. That's only a slogan, and is as misleading, as slogans always are. Jedi fight for Civilization, because only Civilization creates Peace. - Jedi Master Mace Windu

SamuelAU
04.03.2013 , 09:35 AM | #9
I mostly run into sentinels, whose only job it is to DPS, who do a terrible job at it, usually because they have no idea in regards to skill trees, stance and rotation. Just awful.
Gomerik // Lumbridge
<The Ex-Dalborran Elitists>

KaleTogras
04.04.2013 , 01:13 AM | #10
There is a reason why tanks are insta-queue (as a tank I never had to wait more than two minutes to get an invite for anything) - tanks get a LOT of abuse, are far more dependent on a good team than either dps-ers or even healers, are the ones who have to manage all the aggro unless there's an off-tank dps, have little agency over their own rapidly diminishing health, and generally have less fun than others because they are forced into a damage-sponge mechanic where they output low numbers while taking one (and two...and three and four etc.) for the team. Now, there are people who enjoy this, myself included, but because you are so dependant on the rest of the team, a bad team can bury a good tank in a huff...and then make that his problem.

Case in point, as a Sin tank running the Red Reaper yesterday, I stunned one gold, pushed two silvers of the ledge and then proceeded to tank 3 ranged silvers that spawned about 40 meters away to protect the healer...only to find out that the healer was healing the dps-ers who WERE ATTACKING THE GOLD I STUNNED! After I died and they killed the silvers they told me that it was my fault, that I needed to pull the 3 RANGED silvers 40 meters (!!!) to the ledge and push them off! Mind you, we had two sorcerers in there, one of whom was lvl50 and I never got as much as a single heal! As you can see (and as you probably already know yourselves), being a tank can really, really, really suck, soemtimes .