Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

ETIQUETTE - a guide to group behaviour and etiquette in flashpoints and OPs

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
ETIQUETTE - a guide to group behaviour and etiquette in flashpoints and OPs

KEKHAN
03.28.2013 , 06:45 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by slafko View Post
Move your characters to a European server. We're much nicer here.
lol true story.

Porkish
03.31.2013 , 08:12 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by slafko View Post
Move your characters to a European server. We're much nicer here.
haha I remember playing on an EU server in WoW with friends from another game. I did a pug group running in a WOTLK heroic as a druid healer and the rogue in my group kept blasting me for being american. It was difficult to bear at first, but afterwards he said he was just giving me a hard time. that doesn't happen on US servers at all... heh.

Seireeni
04.01.2013 , 04:33 AM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by Porkish View Post
haha I remember playing on an EU server in WoW with friends from another game. I did a pug group running in a WOTLK heroic as a druid healer and the rogue in my group kept blasting me for being american. It was difficult to bear at first, but afterwards he said he was just giving me a hard time. that doesn't happen on US servers at all... heh.
How would I break this to you...
This isn't wow...

Been playing in Red Eclipse since the server transfer (in Dxun Battle Circle before that) and haven't seen a single person teased in fp/ops/heroic for being from some certain country.

Arandmoor
04.02.2013 , 12:36 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by NimazDK View Post
Defer to the tank***
No.

The tank is not the default group leader. Many tanks are the group leader, but it's not because they're the tank.

It's because they choose to lead the group. The group leader can just as easily be a DPS or a healer.

99% of all planning and instructing happens out of combat. The requirements to successfully lead a group is knowledge of pulls and mechanics, the ability to explain said pulls and mechanics, and a way to make sure people are ready.

The only necessary equipment is a mouse, a keyboard, and a brain. Not tanking gear, not a tanking spec.

Leading a group has nothing to do with tanking.

"Tanks are expected to know all the fight mechanics! That's why they lead!"

Anyone who has DPSed AND Tanked before can tell you that tanking is really just DPSing, except that your awareness of mob position is reversed. Everyone should know all the mechanics. The only difference is which mechanics you need to pay attention to.

"Tanks have the most responsibility! That's why they lead!"

BS. Everyone is equally responsible in a flashpoint or OP, and nobody should be tunnel-visioned. Not even the DPS.

If the tank doesn't do his job, the boss gets lose and everybody dies.
If the healer doesn't do his job, the tank dies, the boss gets lose, and everybody dies.
If the dps doesn't do his job, the boss enrages, the tank dies, the boss gets lose, and everybody dies.

See a pattern here? The only reason the tank feels special is because there are generally less tanks overall.

It's a job. Not a calling. Being tank only makes you as special as your spec and gear. It doesn't make you leader automatically.

slafko
04.03.2013 , 02:36 AM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by Seireeni View Post
Been playing in Red Eclipse since the server transfer (in Dxun Battle Circle before that) and haven't seen a single person teased in fp/ops/heroic for being from some certain country.
That's only because the French have their own servers.

Quote: Originally Posted by Arandmoor View Post
The tank is not the default group leader.
Yes, he is. Especially in pugfest flashpoints.

amneonx
04.05.2013 , 11:56 AM | #46
First off, very nice write up. Looks very well and I agree with much of it. I appreciate the breaking down of the roles and what not.

When I started playing SWTOR, I started as a Sorc Healer. Felt I did the job well, and what not. Then when the Double XP weekends started, I leveled my Powertech Tank as fast as I could. I started doing some FPs and Ops on my tank and I decided that I enjoyed that more. However, I tend to Off-tank Ops, when I do this I keep an eye on wandering mobs. I know the healers pain and try to grab it as quick as I can.

I am currently leveling a Marauder and about 10 lvls or so back, I ran Hammer Station in a PUG. When I got in, I looked at the the tanks HP and he had like 3k HP less than me. I did a gear check, and he had a level 9 lightsaber, and other level 9-11 pcs. I said something about his gear, and he got kind of crappy. We had a rough time during the first fight, so I said I was going to leave. He ended up leaving the group, and cussed a little. We didn't end up queuing again, we just 3 manned it. Went very smooth.

I respecced my Sorc the other day to DPS from heals. I ran Battle of Ilum and he got to one boss, and the healer just wasn't keeping up on heals. I kept having to stop DPSing and healing to try to stay alive. We still wiped, and than the tank left. Than I left.

Again, very nice guide.