Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Namechange "service"...

alen
03.31.2013 , 10:42 PM | #1
Yay 2.0

Solaece
04.01.2013 , 10:33 AM | #2
I'm really curious to hear this too, since aren't namechanges coming in 2.0 already ANYWAY?

ahnion
04.01.2013 , 11:35 AM | #3
Sadly, it seems that Bioware customer support have been told to offer blanket "it cannot be done at this time" statements to any questions of this type. (See threads about paid character transfers for ample example of this.)

My guess is that they are trying to avoid Pandora's Box type effects -- that is, if they help you, two-hundred others will demand that they get the same benefit. This is not hard to understand or sympathise with, but claiming that these services are not possible when the facts say otherwise is -- to put it mildly -- an insult to those of us who are waiting for them to become available. (In the case of paid character transfers, they have been doing transfers in tandem with server merges; in this case -- well, there must be some way of renaming characters whose names grossly violate the terms of service. The functions are evidently in place.)

It would be much easier to swallow (and breed considerably less resentment!) if they said "we presently do not have this in our business plan, but are looking into it," or "we cannot fit this into our current development plans," or something along those lines. At least that would show some sign of reflection and give us some sort of time-frame, rather than blank refusal to acknowledge that the option is available to them.

This is, lamentably, the kind of attitude we have come to expect of MMOG customer service, and I suppose from their point of view, we must seem like teeming hordes of barely articulate children, bawling of the great injustice being done to us. Both points of view probably have their merit, but the only way to get past this ridiculous trench war type of attitude is to be more forthcoming in communication with the player base. It is surprising how tolerant people can be when they are not being stonewalled.

Jayshames
04.01.2013 , 11:55 AM | #4
I got the same response when I offered payment to get my characters body changed from 3 to 2. I simply don't believe that they cannot make that change. When creating a character you get to cycle through the body types, why would it be any more difficult to change it on a live character?

Surely there is some sort of character file that holds all the details about what my characters characteristics are.
For example something like body type = 3. Hell I wouldn't even have minded them grabbing anyones character that has body 2 and making my character look like it..

Oh well, they've announced character recustomization in the near future, hopefully it's not too expensive and it's got a wide range of features

alen
04.01.2013 , 07:41 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Solaece View Post
I'm really curious to hear this too, since aren't namechanges coming in 2.0 already ANYWAY?
This would be some welcome news, if true. First time I'm hearing about it.