Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

The future of Companions


Khayleth's Avatar


Khayleth
03.27.2013 , 03:29 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Callaron View Post
Speaking of companions, any idea on what's in store for them with Makeb?
Do they talk occasionally like they did during the class quests, or are they just there as scenery? =/
They said the companions will have "chirps," that is to say when you enter an area and they will make a comment about it. I.E. what the starter republic companions say as you run to the senate building on coruscant or how the imperial companions comment about the dark temple as you run up to it. Things of that nature which means for players that are mounted or using their rocket boost 99% of the time like myself I won't even hear the "chirps" most of the time.
Raid progression no one cares about. Unimpressive quote or one liner. Uninteresting guild name. List of characters with their level and class symbol.

Arutar's Avatar


Arutar
03.27.2013 , 05:15 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Dinoviking View Post
When they describe future companions that way, the first example that comes to mind that resembles what they are saying is Thana Vesh.
Too bad my light sided sith warrior killed her.

Well, Vette made me do it, actually. :

Callaron's Avatar


Callaron
03.27.2013 , 06:48 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Khayleth View Post
They said the companions will have "chirps," that is to say when you enter an area and they will make a comment about it. I.E. what the starter republic companions say as you run to the senate building on coruscant or how the imperial companions comment about the dark temple as you run up to it. Things of that nature which means for players that are mounted or using their rocket boost 99% of the time like myself I won't even hear the "chirps" most of the time.
Yeah, that's something that's always been one of those "minor" irritations to me, having to make the choice to crossing the planet barefoot so I can hear my companion's commentary about it, or using my speeder and actually traveling at a decent speed.
I wish the companions would still talk while you're mounted on the speeder as long as they aren't actually "dismissed", the game is clearly capable of making the distinction already since a dismissed companion doesn't pop up when you dismount, while one that was actually traveling with you will.
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)
Want more Class stories? Let Bioware know!

MSpectre's Avatar


MSpectre
03.27.2013 , 08:52 PM | #14
I fully expect EA to take the cheap and easy route every time.

Callaron's Avatar


Callaron
03.27.2013 , 09:12 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by MSpectre View Post
I fully expect EA to take the cheap and easy route every time.
Sadly, you'll probably be right, as someone said before - there's way too many companions to pay for all that voice acting... which makes me wish that they had just stuck with three per class or something, lets face it - most of the end game companions are a waste of space anyway, they could've easily been replaced with generic droids for crafting purposes and what not.
They barely have any dialogues as it is and usually weak and uninteresting stories, so far the ones that immediately come to mind are;

Broonmark (SW)
Skadge (BH)
Xalek (SI)

I kinda like S.C.O.R.P.I.O. - but the above ones pretty much provide nothing but the role of brute thugs with not much interesting to say - I personally don't have Rusk and Yuun, but they don't seem to be very popular either.
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)
Want more Class stories? Let Bioware know!

Doriath's Avatar


Doriath
03.27.2013 , 09:29 PM | #16
Id be more interested with additions to our current companions. I hate that I can romance a character and actually grow to like them but then once its over you never talk to them again....ever. It'd be nice if there were some conversations that would pop up every now and then that could reference the class story or romance arc. Even if you would always get the same 1 or 2 at least it would help you feel like you have done something with the characters. As is I don't feel any story attachment to my character or companions anymore, which considering the story is the main draw of this game, that is a very big issue.

Bleeters's Avatar


Bleeters
03.27.2013 , 10:44 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Callaron View Post
I personally don't have Rusk and Yuun, but they don't seem to be very popular either.
I tend to refer to Rusk as Sergeant Blockhead.

The shape of his head has no significance on this nickname.

Callaron's Avatar


Callaron
03.27.2013 , 11:37 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Doriath View Post
Id be more interested with additions to our current companions. I hate that I can romance a character and actually grow to like them but then once its over you never talk to them again....ever. It'd be nice if there were some conversations that would pop up every now and then that could reference the class story or romance arc. Even if you would always get the same 1 or 2 at least it would help you feel like you have done something with the characters. As is I don't feel any story attachment to my character or companions anymore, which considering the story is the main draw of this game, that is a very big issue.
Yeah, it was one of those things that Dragon Age did far better than TOR does, and something that I hope they will include in the "things they have in store" for companions.

Quote: Originally Posted by Bleeters View Post
I tend to refer to Rusk as Sergeant Blockhead.

The shape of his head has no significance on this nickname.
That poor guy!
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)
Want more Class stories? Let Bioware know!

DarthGile's Avatar


DarthGile
03.28.2013 , 11:14 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Callaron View Post
They barely have any dialogues as it is and usually weak and uninteresting stories, so far the ones that immediately come to mind are;

Broonmark (SW)
Skadge (BH)
Xalek (SI)
.
I completely agree. Some of these companions somehow land on your ship for terrible reasons, too... Rusk is like "General, my mission's done. Orders?" General: "I dunno.. go with the Jedi or something!" "Very good, sir!" And we're just like.. "uhh sure?"

I really do want to see the future of companions become bright. Hopefully the popular/romanced companions get some repeatable content soon (thinking Dragon Age-esque convos). Kira hasn't spoken to me for a year. "Did I do something wrong, baby!? What's wrong!" ..... silence. "Kira! Tell me what's wrong!?" .... silence.

errant_knight's Avatar


errant_knight
03.28.2013 , 12:39 PM | #20
Without more class stories, I'm having trouble caring one way or another. It'll just be a little add-on,not something where the companion goes through a story with you, reacting to events. That's not a real companion, to my mind.