Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

ETIQUETTE - a guide to group behaviour and etiquette in flashpoints and OPs

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
ETIQUETTE - a guide to group behaviour and etiquette in flashpoints and OPs

ekimmak
03.19.2013 , 05:02 PM | #21
I remember an old saying from city of heroes, which was roughly
"If a tanker dies, it's the defenders fault
If a defender dies, it's the tankers fault
If a blaster dies, it's their own fault."
Best way to end Smuggler Act 1 is
Spoiler

You can't make up stuff like that.

RabbiTricky
03.19.2013 , 05:07 PM | #22
Great guide, lets share knowledge with those who don't know

Quote: Originally Posted by Totaltrash View Post
<>
SWTOR doesn't have a community and the modern MMO player does not care about etiquette, just him/herself.
As a healer, you have the "power" to educate these ones.. If i see a DPS (specially the smashers) going out of control, he will just die. Accidents and mistakes do happen, but a DPS feeling like a god and only thinking about him/herself, gets some nice education from my side. If he cries, its his/her problem.

Normally, i can keep everyone alive and put out some DPS as well, but the focus will always be on the tank to keep alive (and me as well).

Aurojiin
03.19.2013 , 05:37 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by ekimmak View Post
I remember an old saying from city of heroes, which was roughly
"If a tanker dies, it's the defenders fault
If a defender dies, it's the tankers fault
If a blaster dies, it's their own fault."
I'm so sick of this quote. There are so many instances where it's not true that it's just plain misleading.
Aisev -:- Seer Sage Si'ki -:- Darkness Assassin

ekimmak
03.19.2013 , 07:26 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurojiin View Post
I'm so sick of this quote. There are so many instances where it's not true that it's just plain misleading.
Actually, it seems to have a good deal of basis to it.

If the tank is the last one standing, they've failed, because they weren't keeping enough damage focused on them instead of the others.

If the healer is the last one standing, they've failed, because their healing was not up to scratch. And tanks tend to have the abilities that give the healers an opportunity to do their job.

Damage dealers should show good judgement, and if they get the attention of something, it should be something that they'll be killing in short order. If they pulled aggro from something they couldn't handle, it's hardly the tank's or healer's fault, isn't it?

And while you're right that there are a lot of different situations where it's not true, I'd think that people would have enough good sense to know that if the healer stands in the AoE of doom, it's hardly the fault of the tank.

On the other hand, it did come from a very different MMO, with double the average group size and a very different definition of Tank (as in, one that doesn't need a healer to survive)
Spoiler

DarthFamine
03.19.2013 , 07:38 PM | #25
all in all a good set, The only thing I take any issue with is defaulting to defer to the tank.

it's a team effort, while the tank is a valuable member of the team that does not by default put him in charge.

Now in my raids I am the main healer, and my main tank is my trusted right hand. If he says it the raid does it.

But he has earned that trust from all of us.
"It might be fear, or anger, or hatred, or perhaps even suffering that makes a man fall to the dark side, but it is without a doubt regret, that keeps him there."
-Darth Famine
www.RJKgaming.com

tronot
03.19.2013 , 09:09 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by taxidermis View Post
1. As a tank, guard whoever u want before first pull. After first couple of pulls, switch it to whoever generates the most threat. Also. Watch your healers health bar. U have other threat generators than your taunts. On my 50 assassin tank, I open trash pulls with overload. ((only if it won't break cc)). Then single taunt the strongest mob, wait 5 sec, area taunt. If fight lasts longer, I re-use overload, single taunt, shock ((this generates a ton of threat)), and force pull for distant mobs that like to shoot at healer. ((also, force speed isn't just for speeding up, it's great for grabbing that pesky healer killer when pull is on cd)). Other tank classes can all keep aggro as well, it's just about knowing your class.
I hope you never tank for me. I absolutely hate when people throw around knockbacks during trash pulls. Totally annoying thing to do to your dps and/or your healers that are trying to help dps.

slafko
03.20.2013 , 12:52 AM | #27
I'm still trying to process his use of single and area taunts. Can't remember the last time I've used those in a flashpoint.

LarryRow
03.20.2013 , 10:49 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by slafko View Post
I'm still trying to process his use of single and area taunts. Can't remember the last time I've used those in a flashpoint.
You must not be a guardian.
A classic sig that should not be lost:
Quote:
Stunned , pew pew hack slash , stunned , running backward circles, stunned cannot move, pew pew, break stun, 30 second snare, wha?!?!!? stunned, knockdown, ...less stun more pew pew and hacknslash please.

Aurojiin
03.20.2013 , 12:25 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by ekimmak View Post
Actually, it seems to have a good deal of basis to it.
What I mean is that while it's true of textbook trash pulls, it's generally not true of any fights with notable mechanics.

Quote:
If they pulled aggro from something they couldn't handle, it's hardly the tank's or healer's fault, isn't it?
Well, this can very much be the tank's fault. As always there are exceptions, but generally the attitude that "it's the DPS' job to manage their threat" is wrong.
Aisev -:- Seer Sage Si'ki -:- Darkness Assassin

ekimmak
03.20.2013 , 06:58 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurojiin View Post
What I mean is that while it's true of textbook trash pulls, it's generally not true of any fights with notable mechanics.

Well, this can very much be the tank's fault. As always there are exceptions, but generally the attitude that "it's the DPS' job to manage their job" is wrong.
True. It did come from a game where the bulk of the gameplay was textbook trash pulls. Notable mechanics didn't come into it until much later in development.

And it was also a game where a DPS could not accidentally pull aggro off a tank, because the taunt mechanics didn't have threat ratings. Scrappers had the defenses to handle any damage from the targets they mark, whereas blasters had the range to ensure that the other guy was dead before they could close the distance. And all the guys standing next to him. If a blaster pulled aggro, it generally meant that they either (A) attacked before the tanker got in, or (B) knocked the target out of the tanks aggro aura, and so they deserved what they got either way.

Here, there's a lot more to fights than that. So while that idea does have some merit, by no means is it a mantra you should chant before every fight.
Spoiler