Can we get a response on the Ilum Boosting please?

Keffeine

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ONLY adavantage to doing this on ilum is that no one in the group loses xp if there is a higher level in the group.

NOT an exploit, people. Just game mechanics.

only advantage?

1. Everyone gets bolstered. Also your bolster is calculated on the gear/ character level you came in on. A level 40 will bolstered to 14k HP even while wearing lvl 15 greens. Try leaving illum and then coming back, you'll be down to 10k HP.

2. Mobs spawn as fast as you can click a panel.

An exploit is an exploit and therfore NOT good for the game. Does this fall under the category of an exploit? We don't know yet, and won't know until EA/BW puts out an official statement.

There will not be an official statement as it was set up intentionally. There is no game mechanic being exploited beyond a level 1 getting there, or a quest reset. The xp weekends were set up intentionally so as to get as many people to 50, ready for the expansion, as is possible.

To curb this would be to lessen the number of expansions, CC items and gear they could potentially sell so there really is no motivation to waste resources on this and turn potential profit into expenditures, especially for a short term "prep for the future" event.

Honestly folks, I see no exploit and see no motivation to stop this.

As the title suggests, I think we're all waiting for a response on the practice of grinding from 1X - 50 on Ilum by killing the same Heroic mobs over and over again. It's hardly a heroic experience, and there are many differing opinions on it, which I'd rather not get into here.

Personally, I enjoyed getting a few levels on my Sniper with the method, which was otherwise going to lie dormant until I got a couple other alts to 50, so I'm not exactly against it. I do however recognise the long-term detriments of this quick level grind.

I say let everyone who's already done it keep their levels, but patch it up so that only level 45+ will get bolstered on Ilum.

I find it funny that when BW spent millions on voices and story is the single redeeming quality of the game, people decide the skip the story element altogether and level up by mindlessly killing the same mobs over and over again.

I thought leveling was supposed to be fun.

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

I wanted to give you all an update on this now that I have all of the information in place.

First, we are not considering this an exploit so anyone who had fear of action being taken against their characters, etc, should not be afraid. We will not be doing anything to players who used the Ilum pylons to get to 50.

I will say that player ingenuity never ceases to amaze us all. This was not a part of the intended design of the Gree event running simultaneous to the Double XP Weekends. Due to this, we are going to be having a maintenance later this week to deploy a fix to this issue.

I wanted to talk a bit about the fix itself since it will mix up things on Ilum temporarily. Our immediate fix to this issue is that for the time being, we are going to disable bolster on Ilum. This will have a couple of different affects.

• Low level characters will no longer be treated as level 50 in regards to experience. They will now have the normal experience penalties associated to grouping with a player of a higher level. Meaning those players will now gain little to no experience when grouped.
  • Players who are levels 45-49 will have a slightly harder time completing some Gree event quests as they are no longer bolstered to level 50.

I want to again reiterate that this is only a temporary solution. We are continuing to investigate the issue and intend to have a more permanent solution in place before the Gree event returns.

-eric

Hey folks,

I wanted to give you all an update on this now that I have all of the information in place.

First, we are not considering this an exploit so anyone who had fear of action being taken against their characters, etc, should not be afraid. We will not be doing anything to players who used the Ilum pylons to get to 50.

I will say that player ingenuity never ceases to amaze us all. This was not a part of the intended design of the Gree event running simultaneous to the Double XP Weekends. Due to this, we are going to be having a maintenance later this week to deploy a fix to this issue.

I wanted to talk a bit about the fix itself since it will mix up things on Ilum temporarily. Our immediate fix to this issue is that for the time being, we are going to disable bolster on Ilum. This will have a couple of different affects.

• Low level characters will no longer be treated as level 50 in regards to experience. They will now have the normal experience penalties associated to grouping with a player of a higher level. Meaning those players will now gain little to no experience when grouped.
  • Players who are levels 45-49 will have a slightly harder time completing some Gree event quests as they are no longer bolstered to level 50.

I want to again reiterate that this is only a temporary solution. We are continuing to investigate the issue and intend to have a more permanent solution in place before the Gree event returns.

-eric

:mad: Grrrrr

Hey folks,

Due to this, we are going to be having a maintenance later this week to deploy a fix to this issue.

-eric

Cue Nelson Muntz:

Ha-Ha!

I'm amazed even you people on the dev team don't know what exploit means. You just said it isn't an exploit, then said it's not what the dev team intended after that. The definition of exploit means using existing game mechanics to do something the devs did not intend! Near synonym: loophole.

What you mean to say is that it's an exploit but not a cheat.

Hey folks,

-eric

So, wait. What you're saying is that this is not considered an exploit for anyone who already did it, but you're going to fix it so that no one else can. That seems like a contradiction to me, Eric.

If it's not an exploit, leave it alone. If it is, fix it and take action against the players that used it.

:cool:

Hey folks,

-eric

Aaaand there you go. The answer to the thread. Thanks Eric.

Me no get :confused:

He's basically saying "We don't consider it an exploit, because then we'd have to punish people for being inventive and creative beyond what we had perceived and anticipated. But, we also don't approve of bypassing the leveling process entirely, so we're negating this inventive side-step before the next Double XP weekend."

Hey folks,

-eric

I don't like this, I missed the double xp weekend grind and was looking forward to it this weekend. :mad:

I'm not a fan of seeing 'speed-leveling' in this fashion, but if players want to skip the best part of leveling...the story...then, okay.

I only hope this doesn't result in masses of 50s/55s in end game FPs and Operations not knowing what they're doing.

Its already resulting in a lot of bad 50 pvp zones.

• Dev Post
He's basically saying "We don't consider it an exploit, because then we'd have to punish people for being inventive and creative beyond what we had perceived and anticipated. But, we also don't approve of bypassing the leveling process entirely, so we're negating this inventive side-step before the next Double XP weekend."

Infernixx nailed it. This is correct.

Cue Nelson Muntz:

Ha-Ha!

I'm amazed even you people on the dev team don't know what exploit means. You just said it isn't an exploit, then said it's not what the dev team intended after that. The definition of exploit means using existing game mechanics to do something the devs did not intend! Near synonym: loophole.

What you mean to say is that it's an exploit but not a cheat.

A loophole is a legitimate un-intended consequence. This is the perfect word for what happened.

I'm also glad I at least got a few levels out of it last night. I guess we can do it tonight as well. Better something then nothing.

Edited by islander

Translation: not pissing people off who give us money is more important than integrity.

A loophole is a legitimate un-intended consequence. This is the perfect word for what happened.

I'm also glad I at least got a few levels out of it last night. I guess we can do it tonight as well. Better something then nothing.

So is an exploit.

Straight from wiki (yeah not the best source, but I don't think dictionary.com's definition of exploit is going to apply to video games all that well):

An exploit, in video games, is the use of a bug or glitches, rates, hit boxes, or speed, etc. by a player to their advantage in a manner not intended by the game's designers

By that definition, Ilum was clearly an EXPLOIT.

Infernixx nailed it. This is correct.

Not trying to judge on this particular issue but people are always creative and inventive when it comes to finding new exploits and using them. That doesn't make it any less of an exploit.

There surely is much room for arguments on this one. To me also this one is an exploit no matter how creative people are.

It just feels like you are trying to avoid to upset all the players who have leveled using this method.