Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Speeder Revamp and Swoop Racing

Harcopolo
03.19.2013 , 07:24 AM | #1
Realistic Speeders Proposal:

- Have all speeders accelerate and decelerate, slowing down when forced to corner and brought to a quick stop by hitting the backwards movement bind key (s).
- Give all speeders the same customization slots just like our star ships. This would allow us to upgrade the base speed of our speeders (this could replace the three tiers of movement speed as we have it now) as well as to have other slots dedicated to stabilizers and repulsers and other items that would improve the handling / acceleration / cornering ability, etc.

Have the cornering deceleration tuned so that in confined spaces such as Fleet the average movement speed is 110% like it is now, but with the potential to get up to much higher speeds (300% plus) in wide open spaces like the dune sea. This would create impromptu swoop bike races everywhere! This would create a free form mini game that anyone could participate in, anywhere in the game. Whether while racing back from a wipe in an operation, or racing to the next quest objective on your current planet, player control and the lines they pick would affect their movement speed, just as driving a vehicle in the real world would.

The taxis accelerate and decelerate when on straightaways and when they are cornering. Now apply those mechanics to our personal speeders. This would solve the immersion breaking movement speed of speeders while at the same time keeping the average player movement speed in most situations close to what it is now.

Cheers,
Harcopolo

Nivek_Sivad
03.19.2013 , 02:23 PM | #2
I agree! I would love to have these physics brought in.

Arthakus
03.19.2013 , 05:49 PM | #3
I'd like to do some pod racing as well. Even if they don't want to change the whole mount mechanic, they could introduce special vehicles that are closer to a simulator in behavior.

Axe_Faktor
03.22.2013 , 06:55 PM | #4
Interesting ideas.

I would be happy with a multi-player racing mini-game. I don't think it should be an upgrade style game though, where if you've done a bunch of them your bike is better.

Everyone should have the same bike stats, but you get to customize a load-out before you start, sort of like Mario Kart 7. So, let's say you get to pick one thing from each of three categories at the beginning of the race. You could have:

Engine:
1-High acceleration, low top speed
2-Medium acceleration, medium top speed
3-Low acceleration, high top speed

Weapon:
1-High rate of fire, low damage
2-Medium rate of fire, medium damage
3-Low rate of fire, high damage

Defense:
1-High armor, low maneuverability
2-Medium armor, medium maneuverability
3-Low armor, high maneuverability

That way you could learn your skill set and customize your load-out to fit your racing style. For example if you were the type of player who likes to win by maintaining an early lead, you might pick engine 1, weapon 2, and defense 1. But if you liked to win by eliminating enemy competition, you might pick engine 2, weapon 3, and defense 3.

You could select a vehicle from your own collection to ride during the race.

Rewards would be purely aesthetic. Racer's Uniform social gear, pit droid pet, swoop circuit reputation, titles, unique bikes.
The Dredd Legacy - POT5: Axelson - Vanguard, Tyrax - Juggernaut, Despetycus - Assassin , Soleno - Sentinel, Half-squat - Scoundrel

TW-Cool
03.23.2013 , 11:01 AM | #5
I'm always behind a racing idea in Star Wars whether it be Swoop Racing or Pod Racing.

Your ideas to our personal speeder certainly do sound exciting too. I think that two new large Cartel Market speeders should go slower though since it appears they should.