Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

MM or Engi?

AceOfThrawns
03.15.2013 , 01:51 PM | #1
Hey all,

I'm starting a sniper, I love the idea and the damage and I was wondering if marksman or engineering was the way to go?

Best in terms of effectiveness and fun.

Thanks
"Be what you would seem to be - or if you'd like it put more simply - never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise." -Lewis Carroll

Jayshames
03.15.2013 , 01:54 PM | #2
Well, I used Marksmanship basically 10-50. Though, at level 40+ I did use Engineering alot. Engineering is basically an AoE + survivability spec. The AoE burns through trash mobs really fast, but in my opinion marksmanship is still the way to go since you barely have any down time, you're constantly casting powerful abilitys.

CJNJ
03.15.2013 , 02:02 PM | #3
Both specs are great, I personally love playing Engineering sniper. Engi can put out some nasty burst but MM burst comes up much more often. MM generally is more effective for pve, especially if you have a tank that enjoys moving the boss out of your AOE and laugh at you(my tank kinda a dick...). Best suggestion is to try out the specs yourself and see what you like. If you are looking into pvp you should check out Express's pvp guide

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=576490

paowee
03.15.2013 , 02:13 PM | #4
i'm looking forward to playing and levelling with engineering once i 2/2 get scatter bombs (2.0). the aoe dps of this ability is very strong and is nothing to scoff at but until 2.0 hits, plasma probe and frag grenade spam is more than enough to clear chunks of mobs fast. if you want to level engineering wait until you have enough points to get plasma probe. until then marks is great for 1 shotting mobs.
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records

LHRFreak
03.15.2013 , 02:22 PM | #5
I personally love my MM sniper. I run with a "pure" MM spec 31/10/0 as it gives me the abilities i want/need from Engi and also gives me 90% of the stuff in MM. When it comes to PvE (my bread and butter if you will) MM is hard to beat. I can consistently do more dps than a full Engi specced sniper and a Lethality can't even come close. Ironically on my serer, Jung Ma, the most recent top dps was a MM specced sniper. As for PvP; I can't really say much. I don't generally PvP but the few times I have, I haven't had any real fun. MM tree has very little survivability rate outside of cover and it doesn't take long to have yourself targeted when you start critting for 4-7k. After that, be prepared to get targeted down and die quickly.
Kill a thousand taun-taun's and nobody cares. Kill OPOD and the galaxy cries out in terror. RIP .

Jayshames
03.15.2013 , 02:37 PM | #6
yer, I currently play Engineering in PvP at 50 (leveled 10-50 with MM though from post above) and I love it, looking at the ability changes for 2.0 Engineering looks incredible. Lowered CD on heavy hitters and the trail of mines from the roll is very nice looking.

LastWizard
03.15.2013 , 02:41 PM | #7
Level with MM and when you get cluster bombs use eng in PvP!
Ptki-d-Pro-Op
-Fr Multi Spec Assassin
Many of you stumble blindly without someone to hold your leash, bow to me and I may give you purpose.

paowee
03.15.2013 , 03:42 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Jayshames View Post
yer, I currently play Engineering in PvP at 50 (leveled 10-50 with MM though from post above) and I love it, looking at the ability changes for 2.0 Engineering looks incredible. Lowered CD on heavy hitters and the trail of mines from the roll is very nice looking.
It is! I'm finishing up my video movie for Full Engineering in 2.0 raids can't wait to get it done and upload it !
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records

DarkSaberMaster
03.15.2013 , 06:54 PM | #9
I personally prefer Engineering. The survivability is great and will only get better with 2.0. In PvP, contrary to what people say, I outlast and kill the classes that are supposed to be our hard counter (Sins and Operatives) as Engineering. Maybe they just suck, but I doubt that every stealth player I come across is terrible. I just don't seem to have those problems that everyone else seems to have on the boards. I only have those issues when I am MM or Lethality.

Anyways. Play what is fun for you. That is what is most important. I've played all three trees in Sniper and Engineering is the one I like and gel with the most.
Daegeo: (Balance Shadow) Daege: (AP Powertech)
The Harbinger Thanks for killing Engineer Snipers, Devs
The Jawa's Order
Referral link for free stuff

verfallen
03.16.2013 , 01:56 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by LHRFreak View Post
I personally love my MM sniper. I run with a "pure" MM spec 31/10/0 as it gives me the abilities i want/need from Engi and also gives me 90% of the stuff in MM. When it comes to PvE (my bread and butter if you will) MM is hard to beat. I can consistently do more dps than a full Engi specced sniper and a Lethality can't even come close. Ironically on my serer, Jung Ma, the most recent top dps was a MM specced sniper. As for PvP; I can't really say much. I don't generally PvP but the few times I have, I haven't had any real fun. MM tree has very little survivability rate outside of cover and it doesn't take long to have yourself targeted when you start critting for 4-7k. After that, be prepared to get targeted down and die quickly.
1st typical MM builds are 31/5/2 with 3 points to split as you like between exposive engineering, 3/3 on crit and 2% alacrity (so 31/8/2, 31/7/3 or 31/5/5)

Going for lower frag grenade cooldown is mostly useless since MM has plenty of quick shots to dispatch thrash.

2nd MM damage in PvE is viable, and in 2,0 it gets very nice buff on its playstyle, but its not top damage.

Top burst, for sure. That 15 sec solo pve encounter? Its awesome.

That big bad ops boss? If you beat an equally gear lethality or leth/eng hybrid, that guy is aweful.

Once leth based spec gets going on sustained, they are going to be easily roughly 100-200 dps above you (200 being a well played leth/eng hybrid)

MM shines in PvP where maras are going to meet their 1vs1 waterloo against a good MM player.

Its "sustained" burst as far as pvp is concerned is right in the sweet spot (15 sec of sustained +500 dps rougly)

Leth/eng takes the cake in "spike" burst to take down healers and tanks (basically full DoT setup, EP-> SS->Cull)

With cluster bombs, its roughly 4k damage per cull tick+ 2100 DoT on ticks assuming crits but requires your adrenaline probe after. Still had a lot of success taking down geared tanks.

If you claim the highest sniper parse currently availaible is MM, I want to see that parse.