Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[help request] Leveling as Scoundrel vs. Sage

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Scoundrel / Operative
[help request] Leveling as Scoundrel vs. Sage

Kenjer
02.15.2013 , 05:04 PM | #1
Hello!
Wanted to get some help from the community on the best course of action for leveling and specs. I have decided to take a break from my 50's on the empire side and create some Pub toons! For the sake of variety from what i have on the empire side, i have decided on a Sage and a Scoundrel. Both of these toons have full orange, and i will be crafting blue armorings/mods/enh and purple barrel / hilts for all tiers - all of that to say that all things being equal, gear will be good and consistent.

Again, for the sake of variety of gameplay, i want to level one as a healing type role, and one as a DPS type role. I also want to level one through PVP and one through PVE/story. So here is my question: Which class and spec should i use for each role/method. My first instinct is that some sort of hybrid healing/dps spec for PVE and a DPS for PVP would work best, but i have zero experience with both classes.

For PVE i would like to:
- Be able to solo most quests, including as many heroic quests as possible
- Be able to kill at a relatively high speed (it drove me nuts on my empire tank PT taking forever to kill anything while mako kept me up forever)

For PVP i would like to:
- Be able to effectively help my team / make a real contribution at all levels

Thoughts of what combinations of specs, roles and leveling methods would be really appreciated!

Thanks!

ktkenshinx
02.16.2013 , 09:42 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Kenjer View Post
For PVE i would like to:
- Be able to solo most quests, including as many heroic quests as possible
- Be able to kill at a relatively high speed (it drove me nuts on my empire tank PT taking forever to kill anything while mako kept me up forever)

For PVP i would like to:
- Be able to effectively help my team / make a real contribution at all levels

Thoughts of what combinations of specs, roles and leveling methods would be really appreciated!

Thanks!
You are definitely in the right place then. The Scoundrel is absolutely the class for you, bringing an unparallelled combination of healing and DPS to any quest. Especially once you pick up Field Respec, you will be able to solo any Heroic 2 in the game with ease; some Heroic 4s will even be in your reach, depending on the objective. The Scoundrel combination of Sleep Dart, healing, DOTs, and CC gives you the ability to solo almost any Champion around so long as you a) have a companion and b) have some LOS around which to kite. Slow Release Medpac alone allows you to solo almost any battle in any quest on any planet short of a World Boss; the solo questing potential of this class is completely unmatched.

Leveling is also a breeze. With Stealth, you can skip as much trash as you want, taking out only the enemies that you need to complete bonus missions and grind out the last few experience bars of a level. When you engage, your awesome damage will keep the leveling process moving along smoothly. Dirty Fighting will offer better sustained damage but at the cost of burst. Scrapper is the burst king but suffers from some sustained damage loss over long fights. Against any opponents short of a Champion, however, you won't notice the dropoff in Scrapper burst.

As to PvP, this class is extremely competitive no matter what your preference. If you want to heal, Sawbones gives you the best healer in the entire game (arguable, but I would argue it). If you want to take down solo guards, hunt healers, and put out extreme burst, then Scrapper is the spec for you; check out the guide in my signature for a super comprehensive rundown of their lvl 50 PvP capabilities. And if you want to keep up the pressure and overtax enemy heals, harassing and kiting and eating through your enemies, then Dirty Fighting is your spec of choice.

Hope that helps give some information about Scoundrels. It's a great class with a ton of potential, both for PvE leveling and PvP battles. I won't say it's the best (...even if it is!), but it is certainly one of the top contenders.
The Outlaw Miyke Fink: Scrapper, Prophecy of the Five
See you, space cowboys!: Formerly of Brown Coats
---THE SCRAPPER'S HANDBOOK: A PvP Guide---

Kenjer
02.18.2013 , 02:31 PM | #3
Thanks very much for the response! As a follow up, could you elaborate a little bit on:

Quote:
The Scoundrel combination of Sleep Dart, healing, DOTs, and CC gives you the ability to solo almost any Champion around so long as you a) have a companion and b) have some LOS around which to kite. Slow Release Medpac alone allows you to solo almost any battle in any quest on any planet short of a World Boss; the solo questing potential of this class is completely unmatched.
This part of it really, really intrigued me, and a bit more detail or a link to a soloing guide would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Belly
02.26.2013 , 03:53 AM | #4
Sleep dart is your 60 second out of combat cc. it works on most humanoid targets. Also you get a 66 droid cc that can be used any time. A relatively low cool down on dirty kick (4 second stun) and flash grenade (8 second AoE mez, up to 5 targets) You can pretty much do any heroic 2 with these tools.

And like the previous poster mentioned, it's well worth it to pick up field respec. Seriously, this will save you SO much time. Normally I go scrapper, but i'll switch to dirty fighting for champion level mobs, the internal damage just melts them away. Plus you get an even shorter cool down on your dirty kick and a better pugnacity (your energy regeneration skill) Stuns and interrupts are everything against champion mobs.

I recommend at least 2 points in exploratory surgery when you are doing heroics. It takes a half second off your main heal (underworld medicine) and makes it grant Upper Hand, which gives a small damage/healing buff and is used for some of your skills. Slow release medpack makes you very hard to kill but it requires 11 points in the sawbones talent tree. That's what makes the field respec perk so great. After the heroic mission, you can change back to DPS so you kill that much faster.
Larcen 50(ish) Scoundrel Scrapper/Sawbones "They see me rollin...they hatin. They whining and sayin that I need some nerfin"
The Progenitor
And loads and loads of alts

Kenjer
03.06.2013 , 12:47 PM | #5
cool, that does sound interesting. Is the general idea that you use your CC's to heal yourself back up to full?

For soloing, what kind of companion do you generally use? Tank to take the off-mobs and do some healing on it? Healer to help keep you alive? DPS to burn hard?

AngelofCain
03.06.2013 , 01:18 PM | #6
cool, that does sound interesting. Is the general idea that you use your CC's to heal yourself back up to full?

For soloing, what kind of companion do you generally use? Tank to take the off-mobs and do some healing on it? Healer to help keep you alive? DPS to burn hard?
while leveling use kaliyo, or a tank, whatever pub side is. It helps you set up your backstabs. While lvling cc's can be used to give yourself some breathing room. just remember if a target has a dot on it your cc is pretty much wasted unless it's a hard cc.
Hallow, ägronä, <Status unknown> -(Concealment Operative)
Elite Warlord (since1.2) // Warzone Annihilator

Belly
03.07.2013 , 07:01 AM | #7

Generally I'll run with a Tank companion to get the backblasts. And to tank champ level mobs while I do the healing. Healer companion is good as well, tho it's a little while before you actually get to him.
Larcen 50(ish) Scoundrel Scrapper/Sawbones "They see me rollin...they hatin. They whining and sayin that I need some nerfin"
The Progenitor
And loads and loads of alts

Xeroborn
03.07.2013 , 06:15 PM | #8
i saw someone post to go up to 11 points in sawbones for slow-release medpac and then go up scrapper for your dps. and thats what i did and it worked really well. i got bored of corso after ~36 levels tho so i switched to risha and kept my spec the same and i still can take any champ and i kill pretty fast with little to no downtime. and risha gets my cast off gear so that works out well.

for pvp i switch between full scrapper and full sawbones depending what mood im in. both are pretty fun.