Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Frontline Medicine: Combat Medic PVP Strategies and Tips

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Trooper > Commando
Frontline Medicine: Combat Medic PVP Strategies and Tips

johnyangelo
10.26.2012 , 01:53 AM | #21
I've done my share of healing in pvp already and I can confirm that it's pretty good guide.

PS: im not sure about that sentence saying that kolto bomb cost 1 ammo :X

SpaniardInfinity
10.27.2012 , 01:30 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by TheAlopex View Post
That brings me to the one topic I felt was left unanswered by your guide: Why do you not recommend 2-point Cell Capacitor after lv 40? What about 1 point in Cell Capacitor and 1 point in Heavy Trooper to help with ammo and survivability a bit each? Is it a worthwhile comprise to make ammo easier to manage overall, without incurring too much on durability and sustained presence?

Would you mind adding a small blurb about the skill under the "Optional Abilities and Skills" section? It seems to be the only skill you've left out and I'd love to know your thoughts on it in more detail, like with the others.!
The reason I personally don't use it is because I've gotten quite comfortable with the ammo management on Combat Medic. I have a great deal of tech bonus healing too, which helps ensure that my heals will hit pretty much as hard as possible even on a non-crit. This makes managing ammo considerably easier in my opinion.

You could definitely blend the two points -- most of my guide is honestly under the assumption you plan the maximum number of points into each skill (ie. if you put points into a 3-point skill, you put all 3 in). Prior to 1.3 I'd say otherwise (the bonuses from Heavy Trooper used to be greater), but bumping up your Endurance and healing receive slightly in addition to making Recharge Cells more effective is definitely a good idea. I'll make sure when I give the guide another run through after 1.5, I'll try to incorporate this more "balanced" approach when allocating skill points. Thanks for the advice!

As for the guide, I do plan on updating a bit now that I'm more familiar with the 1.4 changes to resolve. I also hope to add some sections for general heal strategies like who to prioritize and when, but also, how to manage your guard if you have one.
Aux "Spaniard" Wargarde (Rank 2400+ Combat Medic) | Reighner the Relentless (Conqueror Bodyguard)
The Generalissimo Legacy
<Uncensored>

Theodulus
11.13.2012 , 01:33 PM | #23
It might have been answered but how do I actually solo kill someone? More often than not the baddies think it's good that the healer is attacked so they can focus on hitting that marauder that is healed to 100% every global cooldown by the enemy healer. So far I basically sticky grenade and plasma grenade weaved in with hammershots. Power shot seems useless for the ammo cost.

Linchs
11.14.2012 , 12:26 AM | #24
Hi,

I'd like to thank you for your complete and instructive guide;

I'm running a Trooper Commando Healer and although I'm having loads of fun in pvp, I still feel less useful than other healing classes, i.e scoundrels or sages.

I'm still unsure about when you actually have to use the Kolto Bomb; I've now adopted the healing rotation you describe in your guide and noticed that I now manage my ammo more efficiently.

However I still feel less efficient than other classes to heal a whole group, do you feel the same?

Thanks by the way for enlightening me on alacrity's uselessness for commandos! Also thanks again about the hammershot: really doesn't help at all to keep a low profile!

SpaniardInfinity
11.18.2012 , 10:39 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Theodulus View Post
It might have been answered but how do I actually solo kill someone? More often than not the baddies think it's good that the healer is attacked so they can focus on hitting that marauder that is healed to 100% every global cooldown by the enemy healer. So far I basically sticky grenade and plasma grenade weaved in with hammershots. Power shot seems useless for the ammo cost.
Commando healer, in my opinion, sucks at killing things. There are maybe three attacks which don't need to be channeled or activated? If you do really want to go put "combat" back in "combat medic" though -- Supercharge Cells increases all damage by 5% for the duration (I'd throw down a Kolto Bomb immediately, too, just for that added damage resistance). It also makes Charged Bolts free so you can spam it to your heart's content (or until it most likely gets interrupted). Probably the best burst you can muster will be Plasma Grenade > High Impact Bolt, especially if both crit. I'd also keep Full Auto, Plasma Cannon, and Stockstrike at the ready since they generally due a moderate to decent amount of damage.

Quote: Originally Posted by Linchs View Post
I'm still unsure about when you actually have to use the Kolto Bomb; I've now adopted the healing rotation you describe in your guide and noticed that I now manage my ammo more efficiently.
This might not make sense at first, but while Kolto Bomb is an AoE heal, don't think of it as one. Instead, it's an instant heal that happens to hit up to four targets. That's the way it should be used. In other words, unlike the other healing AoEs, using Kolto Bomb as a single-target heal isn't just practical, it's pretty much mandatory.

Personally, Kolto Bomb is off cooldown pretty much all the time. It is my single-most used heal, used even more than Hammershot. If I'm in danger or expect to be shortly, I throw it at my feet (this is also nice if your tank is in range or potentially friendly healers that may have grouped on you). Otherwise, I use it on a pack of allies needing healing OR on any particular target I am expecting to LOS me which would make a channel useless (this is common with melees ).

Quote:
However I still feel less efficient than other classes to heal a whole group, do you feel the same?
I completely agree with you, Combat Medic is not a group healer. It's probably their greatest weakness and it really starts to show when the opposing team is stacked with AoE-heavy DPS and/or when the only healer on your team is a Commando. By that point its usually just best to start cutting your losses and letting less useful players die (I'm looking at you Sentinel, attacking the Imps as they drop from spawn on Novare Coast).

Combat Medic's biggest strengths are its effective HP (damage taken/deaths), durability, and sustainability, which should make you one of the most difficult healers to kill.
Aux "Spaniard" Wargarde (Rank 2400+ Combat Medic) | Reighner the Relentless (Conqueror Bodyguard)
The Generalissimo Legacy
<Uncensored>

Theodulus
11.20.2012 , 10:34 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by SpaniardInfinity View Post
Commando healer, in my opinion, sucks at killing things. There are maybe three attacks which don't need to be channeled or activated? If you do really want to go put "combat" back in "combat medic" though -- Supercharge Cells increases all damage by 5% for the duration (I'd throw down a Kolto Bomb immediately, too, just for that added damage resistance). It also makes Charged Bolts free so you can spam it to your heart's content (or until it most likely gets interrupted). Probably the best burst you can muster will be Plasma Grenade > High Impact Bolt, especially if both crit. I'd also keep Full Auto, Plasma Cannon, and Stockstrike at the ready since they generally due a moderate to decent amount of damage.
I see thanks for the input. I'll start using full auto and plasma cannon a bit more. I mostly find myself throwing sticky grenade, plasma grenade, stockstrike and then hammer shot.

Goshik
12.03.2012 , 12:53 AM | #27
Read through it, honestly didn't think that I'd find anything I didn't already know, I was wrong. I've been a combat medic ever since I started SW:TOR and almost have my full BM gear, thought I knew everything, but I found this guide very useful. The little note at the end of your guide about focus targeting was so helpful, it's a feature I didn't even know about! Also liked learning about Tech vs all other attributes, why we don't use shield absorption, ect. I also had no idea that Field Aid could break roots, I'm such a dummy.

Overall a really good reference. I'm going to set up my focus frames/keys!
Rakish: Lv.55 Combat Medic

SpaniardInfinity
02.20.2013 , 05:32 PM | #28
EDIT: The First Impressions section of the guide has been updated with my preliminary opinions from the PTS testing. I will continue to update it as necessary. There will need be considerable changes to all aspects of the guide following the expansion, so bear with me.

For the full list of changes: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=600569
The Generalissimo Legacy
<Uncensored>

BanetheDarkLord
03.03.2013 , 02:35 PM | #29
Any update on the usefulness of Trauma Probe now? I know your first impressions had you still in the testing stages of actually taking points into Frontline Medic to get Probe Medic.
Ry'tan-Juggernaut-55 | Treys'n-Powertech-55 | Velmir-Operative-55 |
Lurruh-Sage-21 | Sellysha-Mercenary-45 | Zarruh-Assassin-41

SpaniardInfinity
03.07.2013 , 02:30 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by BanetheDarkLord View Post
Any update on the usefulness of Trauma Probe now? I know your first impressions had you still in the testing stages of actually taking points into Frontline Medic to get Probe Medic.
The effect Probe Medic has on Trauma Probe is too good to pass up. The problem with it is that it requires Frontline Medic, which I think is a good kiting talent but also ill-designed (you don't want to be breaking CC as a method of healing yourself). It can be modestly useful though when on the run, particularly when Hold the Line is active. Another annoyance is that this basically guarantees that Trauma Probe will never be on anyone but yourself (so you can Hammershot to heal yourself), which again is somewhat poor design. Overall though, it's a change for the better despite its kinks. Both of my objections may very well just be personal preference, of course.

EDIT: I also went and updated the First Impressions again, and will probably do so once more once I play with some min/max'd gear this weekend.
The Generalissimo Legacy
<Uncensored>