Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Removal of item binding

Xaravok
03.07.2013 , 11:19 AM | #1
I really can not see the point of this feature.

I'm stuck playing as a Jedi Sentinel that i dont like and want to change to a Jedi Sage. But i cant transfer my equipment because its bound.

BIOWARE Please remove this feature

sumuji
03.07.2013 , 11:21 AM | #2
You can't think of a single good reason why items are BoE/BoP?

Jerek
03.07.2013 , 11:22 AM | #3
Why weould you want to transfer sentinel items to a sage? the main stats for both classes are totally different. consular uses willpower and knight uses strength. besides binding items to a character has been a feature in most mainstream MMO's for years.
☀ OUTER RIM IRREGULARS ☀

Easy-going, mature, casual-friendly guild for those 21 years or older

Alduinsm
03.07.2013 , 11:25 AM | #4
You can transfer bound mods through bind to legacy items.
Shin

Pistols-GS
03.07.2013 , 11:29 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Alduinsm View Post
It's a beautiful thing.
Pistols Shield

<S Key To Victory>

sumuji
03.07.2013 , 11:35 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Alduinsm View Post
It's not very new player friendly though. Being expensive as hell. But it is a loophole nonetheless.

Alduinsm
03.07.2013 , 11:38 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by sumuji View Post
It's not very new player friendly though. Being expensive as hell. But it is a loophole nonetheless.
Not really a loophole,was confirmed working as intended by a dev.
Shin

Malastare
03.07.2013 , 12:03 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Xaravok View Post
You can't?
  1. It's a credit/commendation sink. The buying of equipment is a major part of the economy. Even when used for GTN sales, it becomes a vehicle for shifting credits to characters that are more likely to remove those credits from the economy (via repairs or unlocks). Indirectly, it encourages the accepting of gear as quest rewards (rather than credit boxes or comms) which would otherwise inflate the economy.
  2. It gives crafting a purpose. Crafting is only viable so long as there is a fresh supply of characters who want the equipment crafters are making. If you allow someone to freely (in both meanings of the word) transfer gear from one character to another, then there's much less need for crafters to make it.
  3. Gear progession is a game mechanic. One of the most fundamental game mechanics of SWTOR is the gradual collection of better gear through game accomplishments. Without gear binding, new characters can gain all the benefits of the gear grind with none of the time or effort, thus bypassing a major game mechanic.
  4. It would allow for Wear-Then-Sell usage. There would be no decisions to be made about whether to wear-or-sell a given item. You could find epic gear, wear it for a level, and then sell it for full price on the GTN, effectively allowing you to wear gear at zero cost (assuming you can find another player who isn't in already in epic gear...) In the end, this would become the ultimate market-inflator, as people pay obscene prices for some piece of Lvl30 gear, wear it for 3 levels, then sell it back at the same obscene price, while still gathering all the cash from kills and quests.

...and yes, there is a mechanism to bypass binding for Point 3, but it is slow and labor intensive, and still acts as a significant credit sink.

wainot-keel
03.07.2013 , 12:31 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Xaravok View Post

I'm stuck playing as a Jedi Sentinel that i dont like and want to change to a Jedi Sage. But i cant transfer my equipment because its bound.
It's BW's way of keeping you from boosting melee damage too much on your Sage on account of all the Strength you would put on him. They're mean like that.

s_w_sanders
03.07.2013 , 12:36 PM | #10
I could see them introducing something that would un-bind an item (or make it bind to legacy instead of bind on equip). It would be an interesting credit or cartel coin sink.