Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Running SWTOR

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DewyMossEmpire
03.04.2013 , 07:55 PM | #1
My laptop is (or should be) more than capable of running SWTOR at top specs. I can run Skyrim, Mass Effect, LoL. & all those games with absolutely no problems. But when it comes to SWTOR, it just does something to the system that makes it go haywire!

First the fans blast all like a jet engine & the CPU temps sky rocket to a point where I actually can't keep the laptop on my lap without a desk of some kind. SWTOR's visuals are beautiful - the scenery is incredibly crisp & HD, but having to run it on lower settings which make it look like crud just to be able to get 40 FPS out of it is totally unacceptable.

What kind of things would CS or the Community recommend I do in order to get a more consistent & playable FPS rate? Should I lower the affinity for the game & it's priority level in order to get the Processors to cool down? Or should I put an ice pack under the damn laptop so it doesn't get so hot? I'd really like some advice here - when this game does run smoothly it looks incredibly good, but lately it just doesn't seem to be cooperating.

DewyMossEmpire
03.05.2013 , 04:49 PM | #2
Bump! x)

Bronholz
03.05.2013 , 05:48 PM | #3 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Greetings DewyMossEmpire,

To help us investigate your issue can you please provide us with a Dxdiag.

Before you post it, please remove your PC Name from the DxDiag.

Please post the DxDiag within code tags or spoiler tags

Go to Start menu:
  1. Type dxdiag into the Search/Run box
  2. Select the "Save All Information" button
  3. This will create a dxdiag.txt file(Please remove your PC Name before posting)
Thanks for your patience.
Bronholz | BioWare Customer Service Forum Support

DewyMossEmpire
03.05.2013 , 07:25 PM | #4
Here is the Display Adapters portion of the DxDiag, let me know if ya need more:

Spoiler

nattodaisuki
03.05.2013 , 09:34 PM | #5
Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000

It's because your laptop's on-die (meaning the video chip is inside your Processor) video controller is running at it's max. ---> lots of heat

This on-die video is considered "Very Low-End" in terms of 3D processing power and it barely meets the system requirements to run Swtor.

Comparing Skyrim or other games with Swtor is like comparing Apples to Oranges
My slightly over-spec Rig, built specifically for Swtor: Core i7 3820 OC'ed @4.6GHz / MSI X79A-GD65 Mobo / Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866MHz 8GB x8 / Four 120GB 6Gb/s SSD in RAID0 / nVidia GTX Titan / Enermax Platimax 1200 watt PSU / 3 Acer HN274Hbmiiid 3D Compatible 27inch monitors. CPU and the GTX Titan are custom water-cooled.

DewyMossEmpire
03.05.2013 , 09:57 PM | #6
Well I run it on an Nvidia Geforce GT 630m, Idk why that Intel one showed up, it's not the card I specify for the game to run on.

Edit:

Sorry I don't quite understand the expression about the fruit D: is Russian

OwenBrooks
03.06.2013 , 01:25 AM | #7
Laptop coolers do exist for a reason, saves burning our laps

Make sure power option is set to high performance and not balanced, this can restrict the CPU. (will make more heat though most likely)

Give Fullscreen Window a try if you run in fullscreen to see if it helps

In the Nvidia Control panel try these settings they may help

go to "manage 3D settings" > "Program Settings" > "Add" (find the swtor.exe from the installed directory) > "Maximum pre-rendered frames = 1" give 2 a try as well for comparison.
> "Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration = Single display performance"
> "Power management mode = Prefer maximum performance"
> "Triple buffering = ON". Turn to OFF if you do not use Vsynch

Can you try the following settings and see if it also makes a difference, have a play to see what helps
Maximum Character Distance = Low
Draw Distance (FarClipScale) all the way to <0.70

See how that goes first up

DewyMossEmpire
03.06.2013 , 09:24 AM | #8
All right, very strange things ..... when I try to add the SWTOR .exe to the Control Panel for NVIDIA, it shows up with the KOTOR Icon & says World of Warcraft

x_X

Addendum: I wouldn't be caught dead with WoW on my computer x)