Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Low Warzone FPS - Low CPU/GPU usage - observations

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Low Warzone FPS - Low CPU/GPU usage - observations

Ifolad
03.01.2013 , 01:42 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Defecter View Post

And the recommended specs for SW:TOR are 4 GB of RAM. So, unless you've got the game cranked up to eleven with custom GFX settings or are running a lot of resource intensive programs in the background, memory shouldn't be a problem.
If you can remember what/when/where "cranking to 11" comes from i will give you a cookie.
And just to avoid it, it didn't come from a movie hehe even though most will say it did.

caugh....... marshall amps ftw!!!!

johnnyreece
03.01.2013 , 01:55 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Ifolad View Post
If you can remember what/when/where "cranking to 11" comes from i will give you a cookie.
And just to avoid it, it didn't come from a movie hehe even though most will say it did.

caugh....... marshall amps ftw!!!!
Why don't you just make 10 louder?
Neldiahr, Sith Sorcerer Gibsenne, Imperial Operative
Neldienne, Powertech Smash'Kitteh, Meowauder

NLxAROSA
03.01.2013 , 05:10 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by MiaRB View Post
^this. your CPU is the weak link here. 64 bit OS and 8g of ram would help also, but not really that much if you dont upgrade your CPU.
Already on 64-bit Windows 7. Core i5 and extra memory already incoming.

MidichIorian
03.01.2013 , 05:32 PM | #24
Hold it!! I need some clarification when people are saying that they're never expereincing any frame rate issues, is that in context of just warzones or in the context of the things mentioned in the OP (which covered more than wz)?

The reason to why I'm asking is because my own computer can best be described as a Transformer in comparison to some of the specs that people have posted and claimed will have no issues with the game. I'm never having problems in warzones or in areas with give or take 30 people but it seems like there is a threshold, a threshold that will be met around GTN and the PvP mission box during prime time (max settings). Are you honestly telling me that you're not experiencing any drops in these two areas? I wouldnt even describe the issues I'm having as fps drops, stuttering would be a better description. And you have no issues here whatsoever? That is strange.

I'm on a 100/100 connection btw so bandwidth isnt the issue either.

NLxAROSA
03.02.2013 , 01:11 AM | #25
I don't think anyone mentioned not having lower FPS in WZ. But there is a huge difference between dropping from let's say 80FPS to 10FPS and dropping from 110FPS to 40FPS. Sure, you'll notice the drop in both situations, but one remains playable, while the other does not. And it's a sharp contrast to PVE, where I never have FPS drops like that, runs smooth as butter (or, as I mentioned, games like 64-player BF3, which requires a LOT more player interaction, but runs fine on my PC).

For me it's not unplayable, but enough to be annoyed by it. Anyway, my core i5 and memory should be delivered to my doorstep in about 5 hours, so I'll install them right away and post here about the results.

NLxAROSA
03.02.2013 , 09:12 AM | #26
Installed the Core i5-3550 and 2x8GB DDR3-1600. FPS went from 15-25 to 38-50 in the fleet GTN area. Yet to try Warzones, but I'm sure it will run better, since the whole game feels buttersmooth compared to the i3/4GB.

EDIT: It's still quite possible to get FPS down to 25 in case the GTN area at the fleet is really, really crowded (so crowded you can't see anything because of nameplates).

Warzones are 35+ FPS everywhere now though. Though I still think it's quite disgusting that this game, that hardly looks awesome, runs so slow, while I can play a 64P BF3 game, at the same resolution, with everything on high, at 70+ FPS.

Vangalius
11.19.2013 , 11:31 AM | #27
I know this is a thread necro, but I figured why start a whole new thread for a similar discussion.

I get horrible FPS in warzones (dipping into the low teens), and it's severely sapping my enjoyment of the game. My processor is an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz. I am not really a hardware guy, but since I purchased this in 2008, and it's not an i5, i7, etc. I am thinking it might be a huge bottleneck.

Beyond that, i have 8 GB of RAM and a Radeon HD 5850 1GB video card. I am on Windows 7 64 bit.

I have tried every software based tweak and fix I could find, including making sure video drivers are up-to-date, using SWTORUnleashed, Game Booster 3, D3D Overrider to force triple buffering and VSync, reinstalling DirectX9, etc.

So if I'm going to get a new processor (and MB, most likely), I want to know if the CPU being the bottleneck seems like the most likely issue. Any thoughts?

cashogy_reborn
11.19.2013 , 11:59 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Vangalius View Post
I know this is a thread necro, but I figured why start a whole new thread for a similar discussion.

I get horrible FPS in warzones (dipping into the low teens), and it's severely sapping my enjoyment of the game. My processor is an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz. I am not really a hardware guy, but since I purchased this in 2008, and it's not an i5, i7, etc. I am thinking it might be a huge bottleneck.

Beyond that, i have 8 GB of RAM and a Radeon HD 5850 1GB video card. I am on Windows 7 64 bit.

I have tried every software based tweak and fix I could find, including making sure video drivers are up-to-date, using SWTORUnleashed, Game Booster 3, D3D Overrider to force triple buffering and VSync, reinstalling DirectX9, etc.

So if I'm going to get a new processor (and MB, most likely), I want to know if the CPU being the bottleneck seems like the most likely issue. Any thoughts?
Your GPU is more likely the bottleneck than your CPU imo. If you are looking to upgrade your CPU first tho, I would recommend getting a third gen or higher intel i5 or i7.

If youre going to get a new CPU, youre going to need to get a new motherboard tho.
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

MrFrezzer
11.19.2013 , 01:01 PM | #29
Install this memory cleaner:

http://www.koshyjohn.com/software/memclean/

Check the 2 check marks to clean every 5 mins. And other check mark to start when windows starts up. Will help heeps on any know computer playing swtor. Spaghetti programming will make memory leaks.
Frezz

If we ever reach the point where every class thinks they are completely balanced and everything is great, I'll take the red pill and unplug from the matrix. - Greg Zoeller

Evolixe
11.19.2013 , 01:36 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by MrFrezzer View Post
Install this memory cleaner:

http://www.koshyjohn.com/software/memclean/

Check the 2 check marks to clean every 5 mins. And other check mark to start when windows starts up. Will help heeps on any know computer playing swtor. Spaghetti programming will make memory leaks.
His RAM memory is not the problem here...
Evolixe [ToFN/PoT5] Exilove
PvE AMR - Livestream - PvP AMR - BiS PvP Mad/Bal - BiS PvP Dec/Infi
Quote:
Open yourself to suggestions from others.
There is so much to be learned from other people no matter how good you are.