Low Warzone FPS - Low CPU/GPU usage - observations

NLxAROSA

Installed the Core i5-3550 and 2x8GB DDR3-1600. FPS went from 15-25 to 38-50 in the fleet GTN area. Yet to try Warzones, but I'm sure it will run better, since the whole game feels buttersmooth compared to the i3/4GB.

EDIT: It's still quite possible to get FPS down to 25 in case the GTN area at the fleet is really, really crowded (so crowded you can't see anything because of nameplates).

Warzones are 35+ FPS everywhere now though. :) Though I still think it's quite disgusting that this game, that hardly looks awesome, runs so slow, while I can play a 64P BF3 game, at the same resolution, with everything on high, at 70+ FPS.

Edited by NLxAROSA

• 8 months later...

I know this is a thread necro, but I figured why start a whole new thread for a similar discussion.

I get horrible FPS in warzones (dipping into the low teens), and it's severely sapping my enjoyment of the game. My processor is an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz. I am not really a hardware guy, but since I purchased this in 2008, and it's not an i5, i7, etc. I am thinking it might be a huge bottleneck.

Beyond that, i have 8 GB of RAM and a Radeon HD 5850 1GB video card. I am on Windows 7 64 bit.

I have tried every software based tweak and fix I could find, including making sure video drivers are up-to-date, using SWTORUnleashed, Game Booster 3, D3D Overrider to force triple buffering and VSync, reinstalling DirectX9, etc.

So if I'm going to get a new processor (and MB, most likely), I want to know if the CPU being the bottleneck seems like the most likely issue. Any thoughts?

I know this is a thread necro, but I figured why start a whole new thread for a similar discussion.

I get horrible FPS in warzones (dipping into the low teens), and it's severely sapping my enjoyment of the game. My processor is an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz. I am not really a hardware guy, but since I purchased this in 2008, and it's not an i5, i7, etc. I am thinking it might be a huge bottleneck.

Beyond that, i have 8 GB of RAM and a Radeon HD 5850 1GB video card. I am on Windows 7 64 bit.

I have tried every software based tweak and fix I could find, including making sure video drivers are up-to-date, using SWTORUnleashed, Game Booster 3, D3D Overrider to force triple buffering and VSync, reinstalling DirectX9, etc.

So if I'm going to get a new processor (and MB, most likely), I want to know if the CPU being the bottleneck seems like the most likely issue. Any thoughts?

Your GPU is more likely the bottleneck than your CPU imo. If you are looking to upgrade your CPU first tho, I would recommend getting a third gen or higher intel i5 or i7.

If youre going to get a new CPU, youre going to need to get a new motherboard tho.

His RAM memory is not the problem here...

Cool story. Just because you have all the ram in the world doesn't mean the game doesn't have memory leaks. Then bloats your ram causing lag. Trust me this will help a lot more than you think. Don't post when you have no idea what you are talking about please. Just keep exploiting the rating system on your server. We don't need Europe none sense here.

Edited by MrFrezzer

Cool story. Just because you have all the ram in the world doesn't mean the game doesn't have memory leaks. Then bloats your ram causing lag. Trust me this will help a lot more than you think. Don't post when you have no idea what you are talking about please. Just keep exploiting the rating system on your server. We don't need Europe none sense here.

Lol... ignorant much?

Yo protip sir, you can monitor RAM usage live, in game if you do a few adjustments.

Anyways, given he has 8GB and the game hardly ever goes over 2.5GB even when leaking, RAM being the problem is extremely unlikely.

And I build systems just for the heck of it, judging by your words I somehow doubt you know more about this than I do lmao.

• 3 weeks later...
Lol... ignorant much?

Yo protip sir, you can monitor RAM usage live, in game if you do a few adjustments.

Anyways, given he has 8GB and the game hardly ever goes over 2.5GB even when leaking, RAM being the problem is extremely unlikely.

And I build systems just for the heck of it, judging by your words I somehow doubt you know more about this than I do lmao.

You've mentioned that RAM isn't the problem twice without saying what the problem is.

The reason I'm asking is that I'm having some issues myself. Playing on a liquid-cooled i7 CPU with 8 cores running at 2.67 GHz, 14 GB of RAM, a solid-state drive, and an nVidia GTX 770. While I can sit between 80-110 FPS in most cases on high settings, I still drop to roughly 40 FPS in warzones and on the Fleet. Even when I'm running at 100+ FPS, I still get this weird stutter effect that can be quite disorienting visually.

I've updated every driver, cleaned every cache, optimized everything I know how to do and still can't smooth it. Is this something I'm going to have to live with, or are there some tweaks to be made that will improve things.

Thanks, Evo!

I still don't understand why everybody keeps saying that 8+ GB RAM would be a good option. SWTOR is 32bit coded and won't use or even see more than 4GB anyway, so what's the point?

Sure, if you have more than 4GB then you can shift the OS above the lowest 4GB and free some couple of MB in there for SWTOR, but will this be a huge life saver?

My advice for better performance in SWTOR: Disable your CPU core parking if you're on a multi core CPU.