Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Back after 9 months off. Dps meters yet?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Back after 9 months off. Dps meters yet?

DavidBryant
02.25.2013 , 08:28 AM | #51
It's funny. I see a lot of people complaining about elietest who like to show off their DPS numbers if their were a meter and saying how its not necessary. The truth is that DPS meters are very helpful such as if your in a raid and you cant beat an enrage timer, what are you going to do, just sit there and continue to get face-raped by the boss or actually have some numbers which would help you determine who is bull ******** and who is actually taking it seriously. Yes I agree in some cases It is not necessary and just there for people to talk **** but their are useful cases where it would be great to have it.

Nymesis

psandak
02.25.2013 , 08:36 AM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by DavidBryant View Post
It's funny. I see a lot of people complaining about elietest who like to show off their DPS numbers if their were a meter and saying how its not necessary. The truth is that DPS meters are very helpful such as if your in a raid and you cant beat an enrage timer, what are you going to do, just sit there and continue to get face-raped by the boss or actually have some numbers which would help you determine who is bull ******** and who is actually taking it seriously. Yes I agree in some cases It is not necessary and just there for people to talk **** but their are useful cases where it would be great to have it.

The problem is not the DPS meter, it is the way that TOO MANY players think it is the end-all-be-all.

As to your question about what to do if a raid group cannot beat a rage timer....Ever here the phrase, "walk away." There are times when an operation group you are in simply cannot cut it. A good leader will know when it is time to simply walk away - DPS meter or not.

Xunekaath
02.26.2013 , 03:45 AM | #53
Quote: Originally Posted by Lancerx View Post
Just curious, Im back after 9 months off from playing, looking forward to having some fun solo'ing and what not. Is there anyway to monitor dps yet? I know before there was no way, and it kinda bummed me out. Dps charts I know are not that important at times, but they are very fun to me though.
If that's your first question after 9 months, you can just go away again.

Xunekaath - Sith Lord - 2011 and beyond!
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||{||||o||||||]
Force Choking People With My Mind Since 1977!

DavidBryant
02.26.2013 , 10:41 PM | #54
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
The problem is not the DPS meter, it is the way that TOO MANY players think it is the end-all-be-all.

As to your question about what to do if a raid group cannot beat a rage timer....Ever here the phrase, "walk away." There are times when an operation group you are in simply cannot cut it. A good leader will know when it is time to simply walk away - DPS meter or not.
That fine for some people but if you actually want to progress then walking away isn't going to help. Sometimes you need to pull a few weeds in order to continue.
Nymesis

DavidBryant
02.26.2013 , 10:42 PM | #55
Quote: Originally Posted by Xunekaath View Post
If that's your first question after 9 months, you can just go away again.
Wow just like an internet ******e, such constructive feed back I cant believe it. Is it really that hard to simply say yes or no?
Nymesis

Irxyyy
02.27.2013 , 01:38 AM | #56
Best way to improve ypur dps is to stop using buffs/debuffs/cc that take your time and help comrades.
// believing is bleeding

Khevar
02.27.2013 , 02:07 AM | #57
Quote: Originally Posted by Irxyyy View Post
Best way to improve ypur dps is to stop using buffs/debuffs/cc that take your time and help comrades.
Eh?

"Buffs" are done outside of combat
"Debufs" on enemies are often part of standard combat rotations (e.g. Shatter Shot or Sundering Assault)
"CC" happens right at the start of an encounter. Only rarely is it needed mid combat.

How is your advice of any value at all?

banehammer
02.27.2013 , 02:28 AM | #58
I agree with the OP... DPS meters (live ones) are just plain old fun.
Number crunching is part n parcel with MMO's...
Endoor | Guardian Jedi's have grenades now
Noxali | Sorcerer Storming to the light side like a traitor
HARBRINGER

Irxyyy
02.27.2013 , 02:49 AM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
"Buffs" are done outside of combat
"Debufs" on enemies are often part of standard combat rotations (e.g. Shatter Shot or Sundering Assault)
"CC" happens right at the start of an encounter. Only rarely is it needed mid combat.
Depends on abilities. You can put a -armour debuff on all foes, not only the one you are dpsing, and there are times when you have to use short ccs/protection buffs to help comrades. The are debuffs which are useless for your dps but help tank/healer, like -accuracy. Or you can ignore self defence and put everything to dps, blaming a healer if you die. Point is, dps is a subjective stat to grade an actual perfomance. I.e. you can throw aoes to get better total dps numbers, but the actual contribution to the fight effectiveness will decrease. A good dps is not the one which has better dps numbers. Oh, not doing interrupts is also a good way to increase dps.
// believing is bleeding

Mad_yojik
03.01.2013 , 04:19 AM | #60
Quote: Originally Posted by DavidBryant View Post
That fine for some people but if you actually want to progress then walking away isn't going to help. Sometimes you need to pull a few weeds in order to continue.
To "pull a few weeds" - offline 3rd party log parser is quite sufficient, isn't it? There is a lot of them. The only thing "built-in" DPS meter has, and the current parsers dont - is the ability to show off your DPS to others. Ahh and if you playing in PUG and not everyone has them - then maybe go with your guildmates, since you absolutely have to beat that timer (and leave alone ppl who are here to play, not crunch numbers)? "People who want to progress" - generally have guilds which use the lot of such tools, 3rd party or not.