Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Surrender... when to use it?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Surrender... when to use it?

Trooper_One
02.19.2013 , 12:57 PM | #1
I'm a bit confused by this ability. It says it "instantly lowers threat by a moderate amount" but I don't exactly know how/when to use it.

I'm playing a Scrapper specced Scoundrel, and I also have this ability on my Marksman Sniper, and I don't know when to use it. Do I use it BEFORE a fight so I don't draw so much aggro, or do I use it DURING a fight if I accidentally draw too much attention? Sometimes during an Operation I'll attract the attention of a large group and I'll activate Surrender/Countermeasures, but it doesn't seem to have any sort of effect. All the mobs still charge towards me and I'll start frantically activating my shields so I don't get pummeled quite so fast.

Am I just doing it wrong? What is the correct usage of this ability?
I've worn out always being afraid,
An endless stream of fear that I've made;
Treading water full of worry,
This frantic tick tick talk of hurry

Sinapus
02.19.2013 , 09:41 PM | #2
Er, I use it whenever I think it'll be funny...

"You have no right to pass judgement on me!" "By your own actions, you appear to believe that might makes right." "I don't like where this is going." "Oh, good. I was hoping you wouldn't."
-Schlock Mercenary

nninjacoupe
02.19.2013 , 09:50 PM | #3
Err yea pretty useless as a threat drop. It is a great animation though lol. I get e kick out of it.

dommer
02.21.2013 , 01:56 AM | #4
It lowers your threat, it does not remove it. You have a numerical value associated with your threat. Depending on your actions you will increase this number or reduce it. Other players and companions have the same numerical value. The mob will look at each person's value and will agro the character who has the highest agro value.

If you're the only person with an agro value, it doesn't matter how much you reduce it by you're still going to have agro.

This ability is best used in fights when you pull agro from the MT or OT. If the mob begins to focus on you, use your threat reducer and the mob should attack the next highest person on its agro list which is usually the tank.

________
The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations.

~David Friedman

Rotre
02.21.2013 , 02:30 AM | #5
Surrender is best used in solo combat with your tank companion whenever you pull aggro. If the fight is long-lasting (Though doubtful) then use it again when it comes up.

In a group scenario, especially in operations it is your tool to aid your tank in aggro managment. After your initial burst (I usually give myself about 15-30 seconds depending on how geared the tank is) you should use it even if you don't have aggro because it reduces your overall threat regardless. Afterwards it should be a part of your priority/rotation list and used every cooldown to ensure your threat effectively 'flatlines' while the tank's threat rises so you never pull a boss onto you unless its mechanics cause it to.

kijthae
02.21.2013 , 11:12 AM | #6
this is why republic is always losing wz

Trooper_One
02.21.2013 , 11:16 AM | #7
Thanks for the replies. I hardly ever used it at all before, so I guess I should be using it more often during ops then.

Quote: Originally Posted by kijthae View Post
this is why republic is always losing wz
Because I don't know how to effectively use an ability that has absolutely no effect whatsoever in Warzones? I seriously hope you're joking.
I've worn out always being afraid,
An endless stream of fear that I've made;
Treading water full of worry,
This frantic tick tick talk of hurry

Olicc
02.26.2013 , 05:49 PM | #8
Its better to use your threat drop BEFORE you take agro, so that you never take agro from the tank which can cause numerous problems in end game operations. Its not wholely uncommon for a highly geared DPS to generate more threat than a tank, who gets a a bonus towards threat but does far less DPS, which is the base for threat; especially early in a fight or during mass burn phases.

so....

At the beginning of a fight you should include your threat drop inside your opening rotation to prevent pulling of the tank before he'she has had a chance to build sufficient threat, periodically in long fights where there is not a tank swap, or before mass burn phases. Its typically not necessary to do after the first tank swap due to the way that taunts give the tank 30% more than what ever the current highest threat is. So, when tanks taunt off other tanks their threat is exponentially increased each time jumping them WAY out in front of the DPS, making a DPS threat drop not necessary. When this is not the case, you should use it to prevent pulling the boss off the tank. Its the tank's job to generate as much threat as possible. Its the DPS's job to do as much DPS as possible while keeping their threat as low as possible and always keeping their threat less than that of the tank.
Olicc / Noah
"The Rahzurr Legacy"
Guild Leader
Dominus Nihil

Rotre
02.26.2013 , 06:10 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Trooper_One View Post
Thanks for the replies. I hardly ever used it at all before, so I guess I should be using it more often during ops then.

Because I don't know how to effectively use an ability that has absolutely no effect whatsoever in Warzones? I seriously hope you're joking.
I'm pretty sure he was just making a snide/joking remark about the skill itself, nothing aimed at you. :P

nopantsisabela
02.27.2013 , 01:54 PM | #10
I think it makes the most sense to use it after tank taunts back.

If you pull from the tank, it means you have 130% of his threat. If you reduce your threat by 30% (or 35%, or whatever surrender is), it puts you just below or around the tank. So then, when he taunts, he is only getting 130% threat on your reduced threat number. Not only that, but if you pulled from him once, it is definitely possible that it happens again.

On the other hand, if you wait for him to taunt, such that your 130% lead is not only taken away, but it gives him a 130% lead on top of what you had and THEN hit your surrender, you will probably not pull for the rest of the fight. I find this to be very effective.